PDA

View Full Version : water damage

87esir
06-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone ever fix bmw with water damage?
I was wandering what all to look for. I haven't gotten the car yet so I don't know the if this is flood damage or minior water damage. I have only seen pictures of the car and could only tell that there was water in the passenger side front floor (I assume that is where the computer is and will need replaced). Othere than the computer if a flood car I assume all fluids will need changed and will probably have some wire conection problems depending on the type of water the car was in.

Any words on the subject would be helpful

lvngdead
06-11-2006, 11:05 AM
start with the fluids only;
then with the rest.....it may just be fine.
good luck

GJPinAU
06-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Anyone ever fix bmw with water damage?
Any words on the subject would be helpful
If you've got heaps of cash, go for it! Otherwise it sounds like a DYI project.

87esir
06-11-2006, 06:16 PM
If you've got heaps of cash, go for it! Otherwise it sounds like a DYI project.

I'm a DIY type of guy. I hope it isn't some huge project but am looking forward to getting her home and gettting started.

Thanks for the replies.

shogun
06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
If the water was also in the rear floor where all the wire connections are and also had reached the motors of the seats etc.,
then it will be a hard work to restore it. Over time all the wires corrode, the motors fail etc.
One of my friends in USA once bought an E32 740 with flood damage, took him a long time to get everything fixed.

87esir
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I am new to BMW's and was unaware of the wire connectors at the rear floor board.
I was planning on investigating where all the water had been and cleaning all connectors and checking continuity to avoid future problems. From the pictures I have seen of the car (it won't be delivered to me until tomorrow) it looks as if the water was only in the pas. side front area where I assume the main computer is in the kick panel. With luck the main computer will be the only replacing of expensive items I have to do, but as I know from living life thus far luck usually does not land on my side.

shogun
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
These parts you can get cheap as used parts from the dealers. New they are horribly expensive.
Here is the online parts vendor list for BMW incl. used parts dealers like vines auto
http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/bmwvendors/

87esir
06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Like I said I'm new to BMW so I can use all the connections I can get.

much appreciated

87esir
06-14-2006, 06:53 PM
car is here and I have it running with only minor questions which I will put in a new post.
thanks