PDA

View Full Version : Help please, lower strut mounting bolt stuck and rounded

kick7ca
06-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Like the title says one of my lower strut mounting bolts is stuck, and my impact wrench has rounded the bolt. Now is seems there is no getting this thing off.

Can I have some suggestions please on how to get this bolt off. I have removed the rotor for best access but no dice.

What is the procedure?

Thanks

Jon K
06-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Are you talking about the front or the rear?

kick7ca
06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Are you talking about the front or the rear?

Sorry the front, the last one of three at the bottom of the strut, the outermost one.

MBXB
06-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Spray with PB Blaster or AeroKroil and let it soak in;

Beg, borrow or steal one of these or something close to it:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00952162000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Whack it vertically with a brass hammer if you can get one

Then use the Bolt-Out.

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Heat it with an acetalyne torch until the bolt head is cherry red, smack it hard right on top of the bolt head several times to free the bolt up and mushroom the bolt head. hammer a socket back on and remove with an impact.

Get better sockets to prevent this problem inthe future

kick7ca
06-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Spray with PB Blaster or AeroKroil and let it soak in;

Beg, borrow or steal one of these or something close to it:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00952162000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Whack it vertically with a brass hammer if you can get one

Then use the Bolt-Out.

How strong are those Bolt-Outs? Im thinking I might snap one on this bolt, it's very tight, 19m.

kick7ca
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Heat it with an acetalyne torch until the bolt head is cherry red, smack it hard right on top of the bolt head several times to free the bolt up and mushroom the bolt head. hammer a socket back on and remove with an impact.

Get better sockets to prevent this problem inthe future

OK, I'm going to try this. I think I hit it from the wrong angle too many times.
TY

BillionPa
06-11-2006, 12:47 AM
part # for the bolt is 07119911694

pick up 6 new ones, and dont put em back on with an impact wrench.

MBXB
06-11-2006, 09:08 AM
The Bolt-outs are pretty strong, they dig in deeper into the bolt head the more you torque on them. I've never had to use a torch. A heat gun has done the job. Previous installer probably used Loctite.

joshua43214
06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
The Bolt-outs are pretty strong, they dig in deeper into the bolt head the more you torque on them. I've never had to use a torch. A heat gun has done the job. Previous installer probably used Loctite.

Only problem with using a heat gun is that it is too cool. You want the intense heat of a torch so you can heat only the part you want to remove. the heat gun or propane is so cool, that the heat will travel farther since you have to aply it for a longer period of time. This can be bad when having to heat anything that can potentialy be damaged by the heat such as shocks or ball joints.

I have seen guys melt ball joints trying to use propane to remove bolts from them on certain cars where a bolt is seized near the joint end. Acetalyne is really the best tool for heating, you can heat a bolt to cherry red only a couple of inches from a rubber part with out hurting it at all if you adjust it properly and aim it well. Same goes for heating alternator bolts, acetalyne will heat the bolt far faster than the housing can carry the heat off. When I worked on Saabs, the balljoint bolts would always be seized, and they are about 2 inches from the boot, in 4 years, I never melted a boot or blew one up.

kick7ca
06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
We got that f**ker off. The heat didn't help.
I sawed off the end of the bolt, filed it carefully as not to damage the housing, drilled a pilot hole in the bolt stem and used a small bolt out which attaches itself inside the bolt stem and it came out like butta!

Thanks for the help. Cheers.