PDA

View Full Version : Any of the mechanics on here have a GM Coil pack from V6?

Jon K
06-10-2006, 09:13 AM
I am thinking of trying a convention GM coil pack 3 tower coil from a V6 and running plugs and wires for the time being until I can get the car working on a POPULAR setup before trying to get the coil on plug setup running... I am not giving up on wasted coil on plug yet, but I am thinking of my options.

Anyone have a coil pack from a GM car, 3 tower for a V6?

Looks like:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/4a/fc/0c_1.JPG

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Erf, that coil pack is one of the biggest pieces of crap GM ever invernted, the only thing worse is the module that drives it.

Jon K
06-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Thats fine - im not using a module to drive it. I just need a 3 tower coil.

fujioko
06-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah the GM coil pack is a POS but it would be perfect for use in developing your ignition system and getting the car running. Latter when the bugs are worked out of the MS system the BMW coils could be adapted. Great idea! (my opinion). Anyway I ain’t got none, but some one on ebay probably has

Jon K
06-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Fujioko - that is exactly my idea. I may bid on one! Thanks a lot.

fujioko
06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
As I see it Jon, your reinventing the wheel.. so to speak. The project is daunting but the goal is certainly achievable. Technical short cut like the coil pack is the fastest way to get that 1200 whp car of yours running. The fact is, your choice is fully supported by the MS and they are cheap as dirt… one less hurtle.

Jon K
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
I intend to use it becaue the dwell times for the coil are known. That means there is one less variable (of like 20) to consider when trying to get the car running standalone. Additionally, I am not sure the COP units from the stock M50 are even up to the labor of firing 2x as frequently (because I am going wasted spark). Eventually I will build the 2nd VR conditioner circuit and do sequential ignition on the COP units, but for now, I need to just get the ball rolling.