PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts 1995 540i Help

pdgolden
06-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Just changed the water pump on my 540i. It started and ran fine. Checked for leaks. No problem. However, the second time I started it, it ran for awhile and then died. It did that a couple of times and I thought it might have gotten some water on it after my son filled up the radiator. Now I can't get it to start at all. It does have 1/4 tank of gas.

Any thoughts

Tiger
06-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Charge up battery... make sure of full charge. How wet did you get the engine? You might have to take off the covers for spark plugs to clean out any water trapped in the spark plug holes.

Lastly, the reservoir is always full right? never ran down empty?

pdgolden
06-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I did get it started after pumping it a lot. Test drive, ran fine. When I pulled in my drive way and put it in park it died. I let it set for about 45 min. and restarted it. Had to pump it again--not as much. So, I'm not sure what'zup. Must be fuel.
pg

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Pump, as in pump the gas pedal? This does not do any thing on a fuel injected car.

Check the cable that runs to the secondary throttle, sometimes they can get boggled up when fooling around on the front of the engine. If the secondary throttle is not opening, it can cause stalling and no starts.

Make sure the idle control is properly pluged in and the connectors are dry.