PDA

View Full Version : newb question: Reseting info display??

tpierce
06-10-2006, 01:20 AM
i keep getting the low coolant warning (kuhlwasserstand) when i start and shut off the car. It never comes on while the car is running and the car operates at normal temp. I topped off the radiator when the warning came on (only needed maybe 1/2 a quart), and it hasn't gone down since, but the warning keeps comming on. Do i have to reset the system or is the level sensor probably bad?
I would check the owner's manual, but it's in German, and i can't read it...

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 03:21 AM
The coolant level sensors commonly fail, they are cheap, if the level is good, toss a new one in.

DaveVoorhis
06-10-2006, 04:41 AM
The coolant sensor plug contacts might need cleaning, too. It's under the coolant reservoir, and therefore inclined to get fouled and corroded by road salt and such.

The warning only appears when starting or shutting because it's a so-called "Priority 3 Display." According to the owner's manual, these "displays primarily appear at the end of the journey, when the ignition key has been turned back to position 0 ... Displays also appear before the journey starts, when the ignition key is turned to position 2; they disappear after a short time or when the journey is started ..."