PDA

View Full Version : Could someone run out to his car for me? Climate Control question.

azale
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Could someone check the knobs on their manual climate control switch? Is there a similar amount of resistance in the driver's side and passenger side knobs? Also, does the passenger side snap into place on high tempurature and low tempurature?

I just bought a used switch to replace my broken one and I think the used one is broken too. Both driver's side knobs snap into place and have a lot of resistance. Both passenger knobs have little resistance and do not snap into place. Worse yet, I opened the switch and there is an extra part on the driver's side . . . so I guess I'm lost . . . and I will have an earth tempurature drive to Chicago unless you guys can help.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
The passenger knob does not have the on/off switches. just a potentiomter.

The driver side turns the system on, and the passenger side just adjusts for the "comfort" of the passenger.

If you ask me... I thnk the passenger knob is a dummy. Just there to keep wife happy. "I'm too cold....I'm too hot..whine whine whine"

Javier
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
about the top click in the extreme setting, yes it is only on driver's side, also should have the associated switches tha make the click only in drivers side.

Javier

azale
06-09-2006, 04:53 PM
The resistance definitely isn't the same for the two switches I have. I appears that both potentiometers are intact (I see one contact riding around the shaft). I really thought that one day I was moving the passenger switch and something happened. Oh well.

I may have a bigger problem.

My A/C isn't getting cold. Is there an easy way to test whether it is the switch or the pump? I can't get it refilled for the trip . . .

. . . but we're going and we're gonna have a happy time.

Javier
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
If not, you probably have no gas inside the system. If it is engaging and still no cold, you should check that heater valves are closing (They need power to close, so good fuse is a must).

Javier

winfred
06-09-2006, 06:43 PM
the driver side knob overrides the passinger side when it's clicked into one or the other of the little detents, the system will give you a true split of hot and cold but it takes a good drive and the drivers knob to not be in one or the other extreem position for it to really show up and be obvious

azale
06-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Very good.

The air blows cold enough so I know the vents are working correctly.

I looked at the compressor and it is not engaging regularly so I guess I'm going to be taking it to my mechanic to look for leaks and a recharge.

I hear r22 is super expensive so I wonder how much the conversion will run me.

dt8068
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
yes the passenger is supposed to have less resistance, and the passenger only has control of his/her air when the driver's side is NOT clicked to either extreme. If it is to either extreme it overides the passenger and puts both sides to full hot or cold. I think its described in the owners manual

winfred
06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
your 94 may be r134a allready which is cheep

Very good.

I looked at the compressor and it is not engaging regularly so I guess I'm going to be taking it to my mechanic to look for leaks and a recharge.

I hear r22 is super expensive so I wonder how much the conversion will run me.

mattyb
06-10-2006, 01:16 AM
confirm all of the above!

winfred
06-10-2006, 05:10 PM
if it's blowing cold enough the compressor will cycle on and off to keep the evap from turning into a block of ice

Very good.

ThoreauHD
06-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Don't need a conversion. It takes R-134a. I gots the same A/C holmes.