PDA

View Full Version : Sell me a factory stereo? Or upgrade options...

Dave535Phoenix
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Left my '93 535 unlocked while bowling a couple months ago and some kids rummaged through it. Two inexplicable items they stole were my garage-door opener, and my owners manual. Yeah, it's nicely bound in leather but come on...

Anyway, my radio code was in the manual. I tried to get it from a dealer, but the little serial number sticker had either never been on or had fallen off the back of the unit, so they couldn't look it up. So I have a stereo that will be permanently useless if it ever loses power.

I like the stereo for the most part. Could use a little more punch, but it has the factory CD changer and incorporates a hands-free cell phone cradle that works just great. The presets are nicely positioned and it sounds pretty good. I don't like that the bass fades away with higher volume, my biggest gripe but I know why they do it - to prevent distortion and blown speakers.

I spoke to Audo Express, I was quoted about $500 just to replace the head unit with a pretty basic Sony (at GT300 with custom mount kit, rewiring, etc), and my CD changer and hands-free would certainly not work. With a new CD changer and subwoofer I'm up to over $1k, with no hands-free. Yoinks.

So I'm thinking the factory stereo really isn't that bad. I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but not at the expense of losing the hands-free capability. I don't use it much but really like it when I do.

So...anyone out there have a stock BMW head unit with radio code that's just gathering dust in a closet somewhere? Possible to install a new unit without paying $300 just to mount and wire it?

Thanks

Dave

Evan
06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Dave, you can buy the stock head unit from my 94 540 for $75.

If you want to upgrade, Blaupunkt makes some good head units.

Evan

Dave535Phoenix
06-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Dave, you can buy the stock head unit from my 94 540 for $75.

If you want to upgrade, Blaupunkt makes some good head units.

Evan

I may go to a Blaupunkt unit, but I'll buy yours anyway. dganote@yahoo.com to work out payment/shipping details.

Thanks

Jon K
06-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I too have a stock radio with code if anyone needs.

Dave535Phoenix
06-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I too have a stock radio with code if anyone needs.

So far Evan hasn't replied. First come first serve. dganote@yahoo.com to arrange logistics.

BTW, I bought a subwoofer and amp in preparation for following this procedure; http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Stereo_subwoofer.htm

Anyone have a good candidate for the remote-power connector to the amp?

Dave

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 03:07 AM
It may not have been kids.

Some folks will stealthe owners manual sothey can steal your Identity.

Garage door openers are commonly stolen so they can steal yuor lawn care stuff and access your house.

1991 525i Novs
06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
It may not have been kids.

Some folks will stealthe owners manual sothey can steal your Identity.

Garage door openers are commonly stolen so they can steal yuor lawn care stuff and access your house.

upgrade ur radio, to an alpine unit, fits nice and a great headunit,

Yokokibe
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Is the display good?

If you decide to swap out the head, I need one to replace the display in my OEM Pioneer. Mine has a broken display and I can't read the numbers.
Not burned bulbs. My display is broken. Some jackass....Oh, my son was
dirving the car.... jammed an adapter inside and broke the display trying
to remove the stuck adapter. Now I need a display module for the head.