PDA

View Full Version : need help immediatley!!! (e34 meet in chicago)

E34 530
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Hello guys. I'm typing this on my dads palm pilot, sorry for the spelling mistakes. We stopped to get gas right at the ohio border and the tank has started to leak again. If anyone has a sapre tank they want to sell me at the meet please bring it!! Also, wouild anyone be able to help me patch the tank so I could get home on sunday?? I already bought the supplies. Thanks, andrew

winfred
06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
drain and clean the area well and hit it with jb kwik (quick) that's jb welds fast drying brother, i've fixed a few tanks that's haven't started leaking yet years later

Hallmark
06-09-2006, 09:10 AM
You may need to jack up one corner of the car to make sure any residual gas is away from the leak. Clean it with a wire brush and apply the JB Quick. Let it set and you're good as new.

E34 530
06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks winfred!! We bought jb weld at advanced auto 100 miles ago. My dad and I wioll have to tackle it at the hotel. Anyone bring a floorjack w/ them lol??

E34 530
06-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Hallmark, that's exactly how we did it last time. Lasted 4 months. Wonder what made it crack again.

winfred
06-09-2006, 06:26 PM
it must be absolutly clean and if you rough up the surface with some heavy grit sandpaper it has a lot more to grip and will do better, jb will stick to bare metal but if it has some texture it does better. it probably just lost it's grip with the flexing of the tank and the bond broke, because it lasted 4 months the surface was probably farly clean

Hallmark, that's exactly how we did it last time. Lasted 4 months. Wonder what made it crack again.

Jon K
06-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Wow Andrew - you should have told me about this we definitely could have handled this when you car was in!