PDA

View Full Version : Indy has cracked my windscreen !!!

pingu
06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
So I picked my car up from the Indy this morning, and took it out this evening - and look what I noticed!

They replaced the windscreen wiper linkage. It seems they used a bunch of gorillas to do the replacement. What's especially annoying is that I didn't notice the crack as I drove off their forecourt this morning (it's almost invisible from some angles) but only this evening. Of course, I'll now be back there first thing tomorrow morning to sort this crap out! Did they really think I wouldn't notice?

Does anyone have any idea how (other than using gorillas) they could have cracked the windscreen while replacing the wiper linkage - is there something they could have tightened too much?

Alexlind123
06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
What i find most amusing about that picture is the horrible grimace on your face in the reflection. I would not like to be that mechanic right now :s

SchnellE34
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
very light pressure on the windshield can cause cracking like that. I cracked my windshield putting on the trim around it. Decided to replace it cause I had some other imperfections. I don't think tightening the windshield wiper would cause cracking. Neither would any of the clips holding the cowling in place. the only thing i can think of is something or someone slipped off and slammed down on the windshield.

I would think they would offer to pay half of the replacement price since you drove off with it without noticing it.

pingu
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
That's not a grimace, it's the crack!

mamilapon
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Indy: "It could't have happened here, we do a thorough inspection of the vehicle before it leaves our shop!Anyway you took the car away, you must have been happy with it!!"

CharlesAFerg
06-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I would think they would offer to pay half of the replacement price since you drove off with it without noticing it.

I love that logic lol...

Les Schwab broke my windshield right in front of me once. They couldn't figure out what windshield wipers would work on it (Before I knew they were wierd ones) and they didn't put a towel under the arm and left it up. Yeah, of course it happened. The mechanic bumped it and simply said, "Uhm...ohhh."
He then elft as his supervisor took over. Took them like 7 weeks to finally get them to pay up, I'm not even kidding. I've also heard they always mess up peoples' wheels by putting them on wrong or what not... Don't go to crappy places like that kids. I wanted to kill all of them.

pingu
06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Indy: "It could't have happened here, we do a thorough inspection of the vehicle before it leaves our shop!Anyway you took the car away, you must have been happy with it!!"
Fingers (naively) crossed that they don't say that tomorrow morning - I've got better things to do than take a garage to court.

632 Regal
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Elephantman, you shouldnt have any problem getting them to pay up...lol.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3085&stc=1&d=1149793062
my detailer forgot me and did only the interior, which is better than nothing. After he dropped the car odd I noticed what looks like a huge vacume suck off on the headliner dammit!. Was mint before.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
just by chipping the edge with a dropped tool or prying against it by accident.

The crack starts out tiny, then grows as the window goes through a few temp changes or road vibration.

The rear window is really cool. if it is untinted, it goes from a window to a pile of glass chips in a blink of an eye.

632 Regal
06-08-2006, 04:24 PM
thats why the bimmer gods invented film window tint, you can peal it out in one sheet :D

just by chipping the edge with a dropped tool or prying against it by accident.

The crack starts out tiny, then grows as the window goes through a few temp changes or road vibration.

The rear window is really cool. if it is untinted, it goes from a window to a pile of glass chips in a blink of an eye.

ThoreauHD
06-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I wonder if they have protective clear coverings- just so dings like that get a bit of cushion. Not that it's terribly expensive to repair. I just replaced my front glass for 150 with 100 in labor. Took about 15 minutes and got rid of those annoying age bubbles/dots/whatever.

Not making light of the scratch though. Sorry about that, but those folks, if they are a BMW independent shop should stand by their work. My shop does, but the mechanic gets fired after 5 returns like that. They called it something else though.. what was the terminology.. I can't remember. Happens alot cause they had a word for it. I'm such a computer guy, please forgive me.

Alexlind123
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I wonder if they have protective clear coverings- just so dings like that get a bit of cushion. Not that it's terribly expensive to repair. I just replaced my front glass for 150 with 100 in labor. Took about 15 minutes and got rid of those annoying age bubbles/dots/whatever.

Not making light of the scratch though. Sorry about that, but those folks, if they are a BMW independent shop should stand by their work. My shop does, but the mechanic gets fired after 5 returns like that. They called it something else though.. what was the terminology.. I can't remember. Happens alot cause they had a word for it. I'm such a computer guy, please forgive me.

Malpractice? =P

Les shwab is horrible, but they have good tires and good prices. They use the impact gun to tighten the lug bolts down and then check them with the torque wrench, which means that they end up AT LEAST the specified torque. This often causes the lugbolts to be at vastly different torques, warping the rotors. Les Shwab cross threaded the lug bolts on my mom's suv, although they were very nice about paying for the damage.

I also read an article recently about someone suing Les Shwab because of sexist employment strategies. Apparently, women allegedly get stuck with low-level secratary and office jobs, never being allowed to compete for technician or management positions.

Phil Sanderson
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM
... it happened to me at a car sales yard once whilst looking at a 735i. The hood struts were old and the wind blew the hood down. I think it hit down hard on the wiper and the wiper cracked the screen. You might need to replace your hood struts.

regards
Phil

joshua43214
06-09-2006, 04:12 AM
I droped a wiper arm on a customers e34 once and cracked the windscreen. The new glass was really cheap, The glass guy told me it was a common mold that our cars use. I think it was under $200.00.

onewhippedpuppy
06-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Damn, I guess I need to be more careful with my wiper arms and hood. I can't count how many times the hood has blown closed, or my wiper arms have flipped down when I'm cleaning the windshield.