PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting on damp days?

RHL525i
03-29-2004, 12:31 PM
I have problem starting my engine when the weather is damp. This happens in the morning on a cold start. Is water getting in somewhere? Any ideas?

Jeff N.
03-29-2004, 12:34 PM
How old are your plug wires? Might try the nighttime test to see if they are leaking current. In the dark, open the hood with the engine running and look for blue/yellow arcing from the wires to the engine.

How humid is it where you live? What part of the country/world?

RHL525i
03-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for quick reply. Wires are 9 years old (1995 Bimmer). Wires look great (like new) to me. This problem started after I drove over a large pool of water at high speed during a storm. The engine stalled and couldn't start it for few minutes. After few minutes, it started fine until a week later when we had another rainstorm. Now, everytime it rains or damp out, it has a problem starting. I live in Chicago, USA.

How old are your plug wires? Might try the nighttime test to see if they are leaking current. In the dark, open the hood with the engine running and look for blue/yellow arcing from the wires to the engine.

How humid is it where you live? What part of the country/world?

Jeff N.
03-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Try taking apart and blowing out with compressed air all of your engine harness connectors. I'm guessing you have some water in one of them. Start at the bottom and work up. Be sure to look for those hidden ones under the intake manifolds, etc.

I have an M30 so I can't tell you where to look. So sorry.

Jeff