PDA

View Full Version : e34

mikesmca
06-07-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a wheel bearing noise from the rear right. Took it to ex bmw mechanics and they could not firure it out. We did everything short of tak it all apart, still could not figure out the noise. Any thoughts on what it might be. Its an e34 1990 525 automatic with 67000 Kms. I bought it in Japan last year with 50,000 Kms. Everything is very tight and like new. :(

BillionPa
06-07-2006, 06:39 PM
rusted dust shield rubbing against the rotor?

i would suspect the bearings themselves are shot, or maybe the CV joint

joshua43214
06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Jack it up and run in on the stands. Listen to the wheel and dif bearings. Could also be a parking brake shoe that self destructed.

Really though, any experience tech can spot a bearing noise with very high accuracy on a test drive, running it on the rack is only to verify an opinion. Rear bearings can fool you easily and telegraph the noise to the oppsite side.

BillionPa
06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
luckily both my bearings are shot so i dont have to guess which side its on :D

mikesmca
06-09-2006, 06:06 AM
thanks, I will check, my mechanics seem to be stuck on this problem (they both are trained BMW techs with 20yrs. exp.) we have done all the checks for bearings, CV joints, diff., I put new tires on, did another alignment (was perfect), rotated the tires. Still getting the rear noise like a bearing, fairly loud, and slightly stronger when I turn to the right. The tires are not great they are pirelli 6000 and have an H rating (should be a V) if that makes a difference? I know they should be a higher rating.

rusted dust shield rubbing against the rotor?

i would suspect the bearings themselves are shot, or maybe the CV joint

mikesmca
06-09-2006, 06:10 AM
We have done all of that but still cant locate the problem. I dont want to start to take everything apart yet. Everthing is tight and new looking so they just want me to wait until it gets louder. I dont want to go throuth that, but can not figure this out? Any other suggestions? I replied to the first result with more info. if that can help. Thanks

Jack it up and run in on the stands. Listen to the wheel and dif bearings. Could also be a parking brake shoe that self destructed.

Really though, any experience tech can spot a bearing noise with very high accuracy on a test drive, running it on the rack is only to verify an opinion. Rear bearings can fool you easily and telegraph the noise to the oppsite side.