keyless device if she wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a dupl icate key from the VIN
#, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He
doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention
to himself.
All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes
to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to
you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape)
across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot
remove the VIN #, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the
windshield by a car thief.
I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief
steals another car or truck.

Slip a 3 x 5 card over the VIN NUMBER.

Don't they need some kind of proof of ownership?

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-07-2006, 05:52 PM
and then sometimes the keys still don't work

winfred
06-07-2006, 06:10 PM
i few years ago we use to be able to get a key from the dealer, now it's a pain in the ass to get replacment keys when we get in a car without them as we need to do paperwork on the car, dealers that get caught doing keys without papers get seriously **** on by bmw na (we tried to get em back door from our buddy at the dealer and no go) most **** newer then 96 needs to coded to the transponder in the key anyway

Ross
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
The VIN is also on the rear quarters on a tag barely visible between the side of the bumper and the qrtr.
I have personally bought keys from the VIN without question.

angrypancake
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
ive bought keys through the $tealer without question. good thing im not a car thief i guess....

CharlesAFerg
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I may be sidetracking, but about how much does it cost to get duplicate keys? Also, can we provide our own blanks? Mine are...destroyed, and downright ugly.

GJPinAU
06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
The latest trick by car thieves over here is to bump into the back of your car (like a small accident). When you get out to exchange details/abuse they hold you at knife point and steal the car.

F4Phantom
06-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah I got keys for my E30, cost $17 ready the same day, no questions, I had never thought of the potential problem before.

sKilled
06-08-2006, 03:22 AM
The latest trick by car thieves over here is to bump into the back of your car (like a small accident). When you get out to exchange details/abuse they hold you at knife point and steal the car.

God I'm glad I have had extensive hand to hand combat training in the military. Hope you read that Fukem5.

winfred
06-08-2006, 05:04 AM
besides being big and ugly i also am usually carying my glock 31 :D

God I'm glad I have had extensive hand to hand combat training in the military. Hope you read that Fukem5.

ThoreauHD
06-08-2006, 05:52 AM
I paid 75 bucks and got a key from the dealer without question as well. Now that I think about it, that kind of sucks. They didn't cut it on the spot but they called me and let me know when it came in. Very courteous.

Gearhead
06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Using the ignition lock code on the OBC should keep things safe. I catch myself from time to time forgetting that I set that code the night before (beer induced amnesia), so I know even with the correct keys that I can't start the car when it's set. I don't know what I'd do if I ever fat-fingered that code and couldn't remember it in the morning!!

As for the bump and jack thing, they do that here in Florida too. Another reason I always have my PT-145 within reach...

thejapino
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I've heard of another way they jack your car:

Here's the situation. You park your car say at a strip mall or some other place where thieves know you will be out within a half hour. When you get to your car, you open the door, sit inside and start your car. You put your car in reverse and look behind you and notice a small piece of paper taped to the outside of your rear window. What do you usually do? Put it in park/neutral, pull e-brake, get outside and take the piece of paper off of the rear window. While you are doing this, the perp will open your door, jump in and drive off with your car while you are left with this WTF just happened expression on your face! Sad thing is, women are usually the targets and even worse, their purse/wallets are sitting inside the car on passenger seat! Now the theives have your Drivers License and your house keys! I guess it really depends on what direction you are parked and where you are at. I got this chain letter and on the bottom, it was sent by a police officer from somewhere in Texas! Keep a lookout and if you see a piece of paper on your rear window, just drive off.

dacoyote
06-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I've heard of another way they jack your car:

Here's the situation. You park your car say at a strip mall or some other place where thieves know you will be out within a half hour. When you get to your car, you open the door, sit inside and start your car. You put your car in reverse and look behind you and notice a small piece of paper taped to the outside of your rear window. What do you usually do? Put it in park/neutral, pull e-brake, get outside and take the piece of paper off of the rear window. While you are doing this, the perp will open your door, jump in and drive off with your car while you are left with this WTF just happened expression on your face! Sad thing is, women are usually the targets and even worse, their purse/wallets are sitting inside the car on passenger seat! Now the theives have your Drivers License and your house keys! I guess it really depends on what direction you are parked and where you are at. I got this chain letter and on the bottom, it was sent by a police officer from somewhere in Texas! Keep a lookout and if you see a piece of paper on your rear window, just drive off.

Snopes is your friend...

SchnellE34
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Using the ignition lock code on the OBC should keep things safe. I catch myself from time to time forgetting that I set that code the night before (beer induced amnesia), so I know even with the correct keys that I can't start the car when it's set. I don't know what I'd do if I ever fat-fingered that code and couldn't remember it in the morning!!

As for the bump and jack thing, they do that here in Florida too. Another reason I always have my PT-145 within reach...

I wish you could set the code to require entry everytime you start the car not just the very next time you set it.

SharkmanBMW
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I had to provide reg and maybe even id, I ordered it thru Mercedes Benz Canada (my bud works there so I get 15% off).

BUt that was my 330... I highly expect they would do the same for the e34.
Montreal has the highest car theft rate per capita in the world apparently!

Maybe in Bum**** Junction middle of nowhere they don't care, but these days I would be shocked if any city dealer would do that.