PDA

View Full Version : Noise while turning?

Jzza4
06-07-2006, 04:49 AM
Makes a noise similiar to a door opening in a horror movie (or walking on an old floor). The noise is louder when turning the steering wheel to the left (makes the noise with small turns of the wheel). Had all control arms, pittman, and tie rods replaced.

Do I need to replace the steering box?

Morgenster
06-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Makes a noise similiar to a door opening in a horror movie (or walking on an old floor). The noise is louder when turning the steering wheel to the left (makes the noise with small turns of the wheel). Had all control arms, pittman, and tie rods replaced.

Isn't there supposed to be lubrication involved here? Anything that creeaks or squeeks needs greasing or oiling as far as I know. I'm curious now.

joshua43214
06-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Power steering fluid full? Could be upper strut bearings or the spring pad. Its best to have an asistant turn the wheel while you listen and touch parts. Steering noises can almost always be felt with your fingers.

Did you buy quality control arms? I have seen new ball joints make noise with cheap parts before, pretty rare, but it does happen.

Bellicose Right Winger
06-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Sway bar links made a similar noise in my E28.

Paul Shovestul

Jzza4
06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Parts replaced with oem except for the 750 bushing/control arms from bma.com (if that matters).

Do they need to be relubed?

DaCan23
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I 2nd Bellicose's opinion, my sways which I've been meaning to replace give me a similar noise.

632 Regal
06-07-2006, 11:08 AM
no they dont need lube, did it make the noise before it was all replaced?
Parts replaced with oem except for the 750 bushing/control arms from bma.com (if that matters).

Do they need to be relubed?

Jzza4
06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
It made the noise prior to replacing the steering components. It seems to be getting louder over time. It also made the noise prior to getting 18" rims.

The pittman arm was not replaced (the idler arm was). Could that be the problem?

One more question. The rear vibrates a lot, especially during acceleration. Sway bar links and bushings replaced. Should I replace the subframe mounts (bushings)? I also read a post a few days ago in regards to the delrin inserts which said not to use them, is this true?

Thanks for everyone's assistance. Fix these problems and it truely is a new '95 525i (cause everything else has been replaced)!

632 Regal
06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
could be anything, you really should have the whole car inspected...sounds to me you have several issues and they all need to be fixed, not guessing and replacing parts.

Ross
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
My guess is strut mounts.