PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm a newbie......

shuriken
06-07-2006, 04:08 AM
I guy's new to this site, in fact been on it all of about 1 hr! Lots of info and what looks like a good bunch of folk here too.
I have a E34 on an E plate (UK '88) 140,000 miles and is lowered and has 18" rims, ansd an interior from a 540i, better seats and wood inlay on panels, everything else is standard.
Main transport is my Kawasaki ZX9r Ninja but had this Beemer for 4 years and love it. Does everything I need it too. First rust hole in seal but not bad for an 18 yr old car!
Hope to join in on some of the threads.:D

Espen
06-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Welcome to the board"

Do you have any pictures of your car? What model is it? (520,525,535 etc)

BigKriss
06-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Welcome aboard!

shuriken
06-07-2006, 04:32 AM
I guy's new to this site, in fact been on it all of about 1 hr! Lots of info and what looks like a good bunch of folk here too.
I have a E34 on an E plate (UK '88) 140,000 miles and is lowered and has 18" rims, ansd an interior from a 540i, better seats and wood inlay on panels, everything else is standard.
Main transport is my Kawasaki ZX9r Ninja but had this Beemer for 4 years and love it. Does everything I need it too. First rust hole in seal but not bad for an 18 yr old car!
Hope to join in on some of the threads.:D

Thanks for the kind words guys. Pics I'll have to find.... or take some will be easier. It's a 535i SE in Dolphin Grey.

Been looking at some of the posts on tyres and wheels as I have real bad judder from front (balancing yes but this is BAD at 50ish mph) and excessive tyre wear all round. Do I need to go the camber adjuster route or is something else simpler and more affordable? Should have posted a seperate question me think......

BigKriss
06-07-2006, 04:37 AM
A new thread would be okay but since your new I'll forgive you. A shimmy at 50mph is often attributed to worn out upper control (thrust arm) bushes. Excessive tyre wear at the rear could be from worn out rear springs or dogbones/rear pitman arms. The camber adjustment route is not necessary. With the tire wear on the front, were is is wearing?

Thanks for the kind words guys. Pics I'll have to find.... or take some will be easier. It's a 535i SE in Dolphin Grey.

Been looking at some of the posts on tyres and wheels as I have real bad judder from front (balancing yes but this is BAD at 50ish mph) and excessive tyre wear all round. Do I need to go the camber adjuster route or is something else simpler and more affordable? Should have posted a seperate question me think......

joshua43214
06-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Welcome to the board.

Click on "user CP" near the top of the page and fill out your profile so we know what year and model you have(production date is good idea), Many members won't respond if you don't have that info posted.

shuriken
06-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Welcome to the board.

Click on "user CP" near the top of the page and fill out your profile so we know what year and model you have(production date is good idea), Many members won't respond if you don't have that info posted.
Cheers for that, it is now done.

shuriken
06-07-2006, 06:08 AM
A new thread would be okay but since your new I'll forgive you. A shimmy at 50mph is often attributed to worn out upper control (thrust arm) bushes. Excessive tyre wear at the rear could be from worn out rear springs or dogbones/rear pitman arms. The camber adjustment route is not necessary. With the tire wear on the front, were is is wearing?
High jacked my own thread! lol.
Front tyres outer wear and rear tyres inner wear, all in about 12k miles. Front judders baddly at 50 mph, and if you hit a bump in the road then the wheel is unholdable almost like the front is violantly wobbling. This has been like this for about 2.5 years(!) so changed wheels last year. One on from old owner were BBS deep dish 16" 8.5j's with 245/45/16 tyres. New wheels are 18" 8.5js with 235/45's. have inserts to center the wheels too. get tracking done seems ok for a few miles and goes back to old ways again. Suspension is lowered with with standard dampers all new all round and new shock mounts at rear. fronts I was told is all ok. I will start a new thread for this actuall as a carry on and post some pics up too.
Here is the car, sorry for crap angle, and me a photographer too!:(

shuriken
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Some more of the car, not flattering but it's just after the school run!

dacoyote
06-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the Board

saj3n
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the Board

Regarding your issue with the vibration and such. I had that EXACT same problem with mine. It was HORRIBLE! Even affected while braking. I had the upper control arms (thrust arms) replaced and the problem vanished! I feel strongly that this is the problem you are having. It may be the entire arm itself, or just bad bushings. I've found the set of arms with 750il upgraded bushings for roughly $130.

632 Regal
06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
you have either worn thrust arm bushings and or a sloppy front end which can include the steering box and or the nut behind the wheel. You should have it inspected by an independant BMW shop or the dealer.

Do you do your own work?

and...

finally....

a bmw car is a Bimmer and a bmw bike is a beemer.

cant believe these guys are slacking today.