PDA

View Full Version : Gas pedal question

PJONG
06-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Hi can someone enlighten me... what is the circular thing under the gas pedal? a friend of mine told me that is the button that activates the overdrive when the gas pedal is floored... mine's a manual tranny so what use does this thing have?

TIA

Morgenster
06-07-2006, 05:42 AM
That's not a button in mine. I think it just stops the pedal from going all the way down and overstretching the throttle cable at the intake inlet.

skr
06-07-2006, 06:31 AM
i thought it was used for reducing fuel consumption , as in turn the screw and WOT will be at like 90% OT... :)

Morgenster
06-07-2006, 07:00 AM
i thought it was used for reducing fuel consumption , as in turn the screw and WOT will be at like 90% OT... :)

I'm gonna give that a try! Not that it'll make such a big difference I think, cause the throttle position sensor is linear and there's no real WOT switch.
Besides, power between 50 and 90% open throttle doesn't seem to increase all that much. The range seems to be 'felt' best between 0 and 50%.

JD525IA
06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Also called the kickdown switch, for overdrive.

Jay 535i
06-07-2006, 10:15 AM
It's a kickdown switch. It forces a downshift in cars with automatic transmissions. Often when you floor the pedal the car will downshift, but not the to very lowest gear possible. Pressing that button tells the computer you want the lowest possible gear.

It does not activate overdrive. That wouldn't make sense. When you press the gas pedal all the way, you want to shift down a gear -- not up one.

AFAIK it has nothing to do with the stomp test, either. You can complete the stomp test without pressing the pedal far enough to trigger the button.

I don't know what it's for in a manual car. Unless your car used to be auto?

JD525IA
06-07-2006, 12:32 PM
It's a kickdown switch. It forces a downshift in cars with automatic transmissions. Often when you floor the pedal the car will downshift, but not the to very lowest gear possible. Pressing that button tells the computer you want the lowest possible gear.

It does not activate overdrive. That wouldn't make sense. When you press the gas pedal all the way, you want to shift down a gear -- not up one.

AFAIK it has nothing to do with the stomp test, either. You can complete the stomp test without pressing the pedal far enough to trigger the button.

I don't know what it's for in a manual car. Unless your car used to be auto?

Then why was I able to do the stomp test to get codes by just shorting out the kickdown wire to the chassis. You see, my kickdown switch broke and before repairing it, I needed to fix an engine issue. I simply took the wire off the switch and, using a tool, touched to the bolt 5 times and read the code.

Ref: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

Do you really think overdrive means that something is going up? (Damn right, the RPM's are). It means that the engine, on any car, is being driven to give max output power, ususally to get you away from slower drivers or some other situation. If I am on the highway, in 4th gear, and I want to pass a slower vehicle, I can give it a good amount of pedal and drop to 3rd, or really stomp it to the mat and go down one more. When that switch is hit, it is telling the ECU to go throttle wide open.

Overdrive can be somewhat equated to "Ludicrous speed".

May the Farce be with U!

pingu
06-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Overdrive can also be equated with sluggish acceleration, as overdrive is the highest gear (ratio) available - check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_%28mechanics%29
Jay 535i is right that kickdown does not activate overdrive.

JD525IA
06-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I guess I was using the wrong terms. I suck.

BillionPa
06-07-2006, 03:22 PM
the kickdown switch does activate the stomp test, thats how i activated my codes. if you have a manual you can use it to activate nitrous oxide or something.

joshua43214
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Overdrive is any time the gearing in the trans causes the output shaft to spin faster than the input shaft. The 5 speed auto has 1 overdrive gear in 5th. The 6 speed manual has 2 over drive gears in 5th and 6th.

fujioko
06-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Perhaps one could connect the switch to the horn relay. When you go WOT and want others to “get out the way”….. or better yet.. connect it to the central locking and after a few seconds of WOT the car would automatically configure itself for high speed driving… just like the bat mobile

sKilled
06-08-2006, 03:32 AM
...Overdrive can be somewhat equated to "Ludicrous speed".

Oh my god, look it's Regal, and he's gone plaid!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. At lest I managed to stop myself writing stupid helmet jokes.

Morgenster
06-09-2006, 04:56 AM
In my car it's nothing but a stop for the pedal to avoid overstretching the throttle cable. I don't know if it's the same for American spec bimmers or auto trannies. But in my car it's just an adjustable piece of plastic.

t_marat
06-09-2006, 06:17 AM
I also have it. Piece of plastic. Did not notice any switches.

KenB
06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Yeah, mine's got it too. If I push the pedal down that far, the car goes into Warp Speed, Insterstellar Overdrive comes on the stereo and the Photon Torpedoes are armed. Then the built in bong rises out of the shifter console...:D

ericcamaro
06-09-2006, 09:22 AM
kenB duh its the hyperdrive activatoin relay. I have a manual and have the switch under the gas pedal, I think I will use mine to activate a large anamitronic hand to come out and slap the **** out of me everytime I put the pedal all the way down. With these gas prices Im driving myself to the poorhome.