PDA

View Full Version : transponder key EWS?

John in CT
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
My steering lock cam broke Sunday and the car is at the stealer awaiting repair. They claim the only source for a new lock cylinder is Germany, one week wait. I sourced one from BMA w/ key but am now wondering if i have a transponder key. I do have a ring around the ignition slot, but I have driven the car using the plastic wallet key that came with the car, surely it can't contain a transponder??

I don't have my VIN handy but my car is a Jan '95 build date.

Anybody have this problem?

Thanks in advance,

John
1995 525i 5 speed

Russell
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I think you have the EWS II system. My 1/95 car does. I believe that new Keys are only ordered from dealer with proper car and personal identification. That includes the wallet key which works with the EWS systems. Not sure about a source like BMA. There have been posts on how this sytsem works. Wish I could tell you more. I too would like to know how all this works if I need repair.

John in CT
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
ignition and locks or unlocks the steering, that's what breaks. If I am EWS-II then the BMA setup won't work. The stealer tells me everything will be fine once I give him six hundred bucks. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem, and I didn't use excessive force, it just let go,

I'll keep you posted,

John
1995 525i hopefully 12/94 build date.....

John in CT
06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
my VIN ends in 39111, is that a lower number than yours? I'm hoping I am 12/94 production non-EWS-II.

Russell
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Your drivers door sticker should indicate the build date. Mine is 1/95 My VIN ends in 54609. Good luck

John in CT
06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
which is a place you should stay away from, period. I'm pretty sure i have EWS-I and that the non-transponder key I supplied the stealer will work fine,

BR,

John
1995 525i oxford green/parchment 5-speed

John in CT
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, the failure point is a thin casting which fits in a housing behind the ignition lock cylinder. The function of this cast rod, about three inches long, 1/4 inch diameter, is tho transmit the rotating movement of the key to both the electric stuff and the mechanism which locks the wheel. The stealer replaced the housing containing this broken thin rod, for 138 bucks parts cost and the ignition cylinder itself for another 80 USD. I don't think I needed the cylinder but they insisted, thanks BMW of North Haven (Ct) Labor was a staggering 350 USD. The failure point on the cast rod is unbelievably thin, hard to imagine how it lasted 11 years.......

Is the cast rod itself available seperately? The housing is stamped Valeo (sp?) which makes lights and all kinds of other stuff. All things considered it is probably a DIY job but I was too timid to undertake it (airbagphobic...)

If I knew how cheesy this part was I would have considered a pre-emmptive change-out.....but who knew??

BR,

John
1995 525i oxford green/parchment 5-speed[/QUOTE]