PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut a hole into this?

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/cpurcell34/DSC00013.jpg

I want to cut a hole into the black plastic wall behind the ash tray and HVAC controls (as pictured). The red square is about where I want to cut maybe a bit lower. I am fitting some cup holders where the ash sits. I need more space into that wall about 1/2" I was planning on putting a sealant around the hole to plug any leaks.

What is behind there, an air vent? Can I cut into it?

dacoyote
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
You can cut into anything... the real question is.. is it a good idea.....

I can look tonight and tell you wants back there...

632 Regal
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
drinks on your consule is a bad idea in my book.

DaveVoorhis
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
That's the HVAC housing. Depending on which one you've got, you might be running into the heater matrix. At the very least, you'll need to seal the area where the cupholder intrudes into the housing.

Anyway, cupholders? That's so, I dunno, SUV or Toyota or something. Zee purpose of zis car ist gedriven, nichts gedrinken, ja? Yer car ain't a bar.

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
haha, well i'm sometimes rushed and have spilled drinks in the car before. I don't like the look of any other cup holder so decided to take the ash tray out and put in some custom cup holders. Smoke in the car or drink in the car? I have chosen the ladder.

Of course, I would seal it up no matter what is behind there.

While I've got the console apart I am detailing the entire area, cleaning all switches, tightening the steering bolt, installing my steering wheel controls for the radio, sanding and restaining the console, and washing the carpets and changing the bulbs in the OBC. Its been a long few days. But it is going to be well worth the work.

trumpetr
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyway, cupholders? That's so, I dunno, SUV or Toyota or something. Zee purpose of zis car ist gedriven, nichts gedrinken, ja? Yer car ain't a bar.[/QUOTE]

Heh, heh,,,that reminds me of a handmade sign in the control room of a CT scanner in a hospital,,,the CT scanner was made in germany-
sign said:

"Achtung! Das machine is nicht for die worken by die dumbkoffen. Ist too easy schnappen der springen, blowen der fusen, und poppencorken mit spritzensparken. Das rubbernecken sightseerin: Keepen ze hands in ze pokects, sitzen, und watch das blinkin lights."

I love to drink coffee while driving, have always had vehicles with cupholders, but, just cant bring myself to have a cup that might spill inside of my e34. I guess a potential coffee spill, on my grey chenille or alcantara, might send me over the edge.
I also smoke,,but I wont smoke in this car, either.
I guess, thats what having a nice e34 does to you. We take better care of it, than we do many other things.

DaveVoorhis
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I stopped smoking in mine after I accidently bumped the coal against the headliner by the window and put a tiny burn in it. I felt sick. It's not like my interior is perfect or anything, but I'd like to think I'm making it better rather than worse.

When I want to carry a drink, I fill a sports drink bottle (like Gatorade or whatever) and stuff it between the seat and the console.

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks man, I await your response.

ThoreauHD
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
They do have those nice looking double cup holders at bavarian autosports. Sits in the side tray, folds out of the way, and has wood grain and whatnot for camoflage. Would be a big less intrusive, but whatever works.

Jon K
06-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I cut a hole in this:

http://e34.digital7.com/LCD%20Project/final3.jpg

You can cut a hole in that ;)

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
what do you mean by this?

Nick.Hay
06-06-2006, 08:28 PM
"Achtung! Das machine is nicht for die worken by die dumbkoffen. Ist too easy schnappen der springen, blowen der fusen, und poppencorken mit spritzensparken. Das rubbernecken sightseerin: Keepen ze hands in ze pokects, sitzen, und watch das blinkin lights."

Ah man.. Thats ****in funny!!! :D :D

ROFL!!

moots
06-07-2006, 01:20 AM
[IMG]

What is behind there, an air vent? Can I cut into it?

Directly behind this plastic cover is the heater matrix.The airflow goes from fwd to aft.The cover acts as a diverter which directs the airflow upwards and out of the respective vents.So you figure it out if cutting this piece and putting the cup holder and sealing it up will last in the long run.(hot air will run over the protrusion of the cup holder)

skr
06-07-2006, 06:26 AM
open the ashtray half-way. put the coffe under it. open it a little bit more till it's secure. there you go, nice looking cup-holder.