PDA

View Full Version : broken spring

iainand
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
found the drivers front spring on my car broken yesterday, ordered some new springs today, not sure of manufacture but they are lowering springs.

they drop the ride height by 40mm, first question, does anyone have any pics of their car dropped by 40mm???

anything i should look out for when replacing the springs all round?? anything thats likely to break?? any tips?

many thanks guys

632 Regal
06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Side.jpg

angrypancake
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
found the drivers front spring on my car broken yesterday, ordered some new springs today, not sure of manufacture but they are lowering springs.

they drop the ride height by 40mm, first question, does anyone have any pics of their car dropped by 40mm???

anything i should look out for when replacing the springs all round?? anything thats likely to break?? any tips?

many thanks guys

stupid question but how far is 40mm?

632 Regal
06-06-2006, 12:03 PM
bout 1.5748 inches, mines about 2.5 inches lower in that pic, lower now.

angrypancake
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
bout 1.5748 inches, mines about 2.5 inches lower in that pic, lower now.

~1.5 inches.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1553/2180059vo.jpg

632 Regal
06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
you still have snow there huh?
~1.5 inches.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1553/2180059vo.jpg

dacoyote
06-06-2006, 12:36 PM
you still have snow there huh?

I though he was talking about another size.. the one where I have a good 12 inchs

Speeder 553
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM

many thanks guys

You orderd new springs but don't know who makes them?

Per Koni tech the proper clearance is ½” from tire to wheel well lip. 40mm is around 1.5" so you could have some issues with rubbing and bottoming out?

My car was lowered 1.3" F / 1.0" R) with Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and I had Koni Sport Shocks installed at the same time. Awesome combo.

You'll need an alignment and make sure the thrust arm bolts are loosend and re-tighten with the weight of the car on them (after having lowering springs installed).

my

trumpetr
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM

One little rule of thumb i use, to quickly approximate a mm measurement into inches,,is 4x the mm, is the inches, ie: 10mm x 4, is 40, or .4 inches,
25mm= 1 inch 25x4=100, or 1.00 inch.
or,,like this 40mm question, 40mmx4 =1600, 0r 1.6 inches.
close to the exact conversion that jeff said.
Its not exact, but a quick conversion in your head without dragging out a calculator or a paper and pencil.

genphreak
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
You orderd new springs but don't know who makes them?
Per Koni tech the proper clearance is ½” from tire to wheel well lip. 40mm is around 1.5" so you could have some issues with rubbing and bottoming out? My car was lowered 1.3" F / 1.0" R) with Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and I had Koni Sport Shocks installed at the same time. Awesome combo. You'll need an alignment and make sure the thrust arm bolts are loosend and re-tighten with the weight of the car on them (after having lowering springs installed). Beware the bumpstops. Old ones need replacing. Some people have cut the stock ones down (see Regal632s earlier posts-about 4-10 weeks ago for info), you want them the same height as an M5. Also, check upper mounts- you will definately need to change the rear ones, and will probably need new pitman arms- all easy to do when the springs come out. Front shock mounts last lonoger than rears and cost 3x as much, so you can usually avoid doing them. If you really wnat it nice, do the spring pads too, especially if the person doing them is likely to rip them up. On Eibach's don't go with the 3mm front M-spring pad, the stock 9mm is cool for several reasons, one of which is that 3mm will slam the car, throw weight too much to the front (Eibach's alreay do this) and cause the car ride the bumpstops really badly on any rough surface. :) Nick

632 Regal
06-06-2006, 08:54 PM
huh?
Beware the bumpstops. Old ones need replacing. Some people have cut the stock ones down (see Regal632s earlier posts-about 4-10 weeks ago for info), you want them the same height as an M5. Also, check upper mounts- you will definately need to change the rear ones, and will probably need new pitman arms- all easy to do when the springs come out. Front shock mounts last lonoger than rears and cost 3x as much, so you can usually avoid doing them. If you really wnat it nice, do the spring pads too, especially if the person doing them is likely to rip them up. On Eibach's don't go with the 3mm front M-spring pad, the stock 9mm is cool for several reasons, one of which is that 3mm will slam the car, throw weight too much to the front (Eibach's alreay do this) and cause the car ride the bumpstops really badly on any rough surface. :) Nick

genphreak
06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
huh?What? (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21412&highlight=bumpstops)