PDA

View Full Version : inspection light

MMc
06-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I just changed my horn at a garage on my 528 98 and the inspection light come on but it is just at the start it will stay on for 10 sec and then goes away i think that at my garage they forgot to reste this service light, can i do it by my self

joshua43214
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Inspection light on means that it is due for an inspection, it is acting like normal. Have the inspection performed and they will turn off the light when they are done.

MMc
06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
ok but how they turn it off ?

joshua43214
06-06-2006, 09:13 AM
ok but how they turn it off ?

With a reset tool.

bfd
06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
One option is to buy a reset tool and reset the lights.

Another option is the following:

Resetting Oil Service and Inspection Indicator
Connect a wire between pins 7 and 19 on the round diagnostic port near the coolant fill tank on a Z3. Turn the ignition to positon 2 and after about 5 to 7 seconds, pull out the wire and the Oil Service and Inspection indicator will be reset

No need for reset tool

MMc
06-16-2006, 04:50 AM
I don't understand why the first week with the inspection ligh that came one and go the light bar was yellow and then the second week it was yellow and red, what those color mean under the inpection indicator

Morgenster
06-16-2006, 05:08 AM
The red light switches on when inspection is overdue. Did you ever see the green ones?

MMc
06-16-2006, 09:53 AM
no never see the green light, but like 3weekago i send the car for oil changement , and to do a basic check, then a week later, i changed my horn and the like came on yellow and another week after the red light came on but red/yellow light will be on only at the start for a few second

but everything was fine on the car like 3 weeek ago it was checked

MMc
06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
i was a reading an article on the web and what I understand is that the light came up just to send the car to a garage spend money for a check-up even if the car have nothing ,

Paul in NZ
06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
It counts down the "mileage" till the next service/You should see it come on every time you start the car.Mine takes about 12000 km to go from 5 green to yellow

Javier
06-17-2006, 05:18 AM
you will get different versions, including the one that says the car has a special sensor for you wallet weight, and ask for an inspection when it exceed a certain value.

The technicals, is that it is tool that allows the car to monitor millage and operating conditions, and report whenever an oil service is due. Besides that, the BMW maintenance program also requires some other inspections.

The system is composed by 5 green LED's, 1 yellow LED, 1 red LED, 1 OIL indication, 1 INSPECTION indication, and 1 CLOCK indication (This last does not read clock but a clock symbol instead). They can only be observed a few seconds after engine start.

The green LED's are all on at the beginning of the monitored period, and are extinguished one by one along the life of the engine oil. Along this time, the system monitors the millage and the operating conditions, and will be deducting oil life along the use of he car, turning off green LED's from the display. This way you know how it is decreasing. When the fifth green led turns off, the yellow one turns on together with the OIL or the INSPECTION indication, telling you to go for service. When OIL indication, you only require OIL service, when INSPECTION is on, you require either Inspection I or Inspection II schedule. OIL is turned on at every odd inspection request (1st. 3rd, 5th, ...), INSPECTION is turned on at every even inspection request, and Inspection I and II are mixed one after the other starting by Inspection I, so Inspection II is due at every multiple of 4 request, and Inspection I is due at every other even request.

The clock lights up together with INSPECTION every 2 years, no mater the status of the LED's, and is there to indicate the bi-annual inspection schedule, requiring coolant and brakes fluid replacement.

The owners manual has a task schedule for the Oil service, Inspection I, Inspection II, and biannual services.

Proper use of the inspection monitor, requires not to reset the inspection light at extra oil changes. (I use to change oil about the middle of the use of the third green LED, and leave the inspection monitor on its way toward the yellow LED). This way you keep accurate report of the "other than engine oil" requirements of the car. Not doing the proper inspections in time, will surely lead you to a shortening of your car systems life.

Hope it helps you valuate this system BMW included in our superb car.

Javier

Calico_NC
06-17-2006, 10:02 PM
i dont think mine even works. never seen it move past the first box (yellow). Any reason for that?

Paul in NZ
06-18-2006, 12:48 AM
when you next service yourcar make sure you (or whoever) resets the SI(service indicator).Javier I thought he clock was an Annual inspection...it comes on every year on mine...due for annual and ins II

Javier
06-18-2006, 04:12 AM
But every two year brake/coolant fluids replacement (except 750il).

Cars before 9/90, report clock inspection every year, but their service requires Brake/coolant fluids replaced every other annual inspection. (See attachment).

Javier

joshua43214
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
i was a reading an article on the web and what I understand is that the light came up just to send the car to a garage spend money for a check-up even if the car have nothing ,

Its not just a check up, its a service. It will involve anything from an oil change to a tune up, or more. Part of the service is inspecting the vehicle for potential problems.

Its always your choice, you can just wait until the car brakes down and deal with the hassles of that, or follow the inspection and repair problems on your time frame rather than the cars.