PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone here have any experience with one of these?

sKilled
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Thinking of getting one as it's cheaper and quicker than catching the bus to Uni everyday. Plus I don't need a motorcycle licence for anything under 50cc like this Sachs MadAss.
Cheers in advance guys for constructive comments (which automatically excludes Fukme5).

wingman
06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Check the registration requirements before your proceed with your purchase. It looks like it might have the required lights/mirrors etc but may need a chain guard and maybe some other bits & bobs. Looks like a heap of fun!

fukem5
06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Cheers in advance guys for constructive comments (which automatically excludes Fukme5).
Just keep out of da way wen I get my roll on uleh!

sKilled
06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
They are for sale here in NZ already, unmodified and registered ready to go. Only problem is that the only dealer for them is in Christchurch. Rumour has it that a dealer will open their doors here in Auckland soon, but until then I won't get to touch one and have to rely on what info I get from others.

sKilled
06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
BTW Wingman, just had a look at you bio "Biography:
Mt Panorama+E12+3am+speed=psychological scarring.". So funny, because it's true! Already looking forward to Bathurst!

kyleN20
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
why not do a vespa, i think they look better, or some kinda moped type thing, im sure that this bike thing is a good idea, bbut it looks weird as hell

uscharalph
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Thinking of getting one as it's cheaper and quicker than catching the bus to Uni everyday. Plus I don't need a motorcycle licence for anything under 50cc like this Sachs MadAss.
I used to have one and had a lot of fun. They're kind of dangerous though: Just fast enough to get you into trouble, but not fast enough to get you out of trouble.

sKilled
06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
It costs less than a Vespa (almost half as much) - and it is a moped with only 50cc (although there is now a 125cc model). Thing I like about it is that there is no sheet metal to dent/scratch. It is also engineered and manufactured by Sachs, so it can't be all bad. Apparently it's a blast to ride even though it only has 2Kw. Less than my hot water cylinder lol :)

Chris'91'525i
06-05-2006, 09:27 PM

Very cool !!

Looks like a motorized mountain bike on steroids.

125cc would be the way to go, IMHO ....

Are they available in the USA ? If so got a link ?

sKilled
06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know if they are available in the US yet, or if there are plans to release them officially in the US at all - but you can get more details from Sachs (www.sachs-bikes.de). I was also thinking about the 125cc, but if I understand the NZ regulations correctly then I need to get a motorcycle licence for anything over 50cc. And I don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

Paul in NZ
06-06-2006, 01:45 AM
How much?A motorcycle license will be easy for you to get.A 125 or something is much better,you can ride WITH the traffic not be a half cyclist/half motorcyclist

sKilled
06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Currently the 50cc costs $2700NZD brand new, and the 125cc is on its way. Cost for that is unknown, but the only differences between the two are bigger motor and altenator - if you salvage one from a Dax or similar it just bolts on and you can flog off the 50cc motor as they are all pretty much the same.

sKilled
06-06-2006, 05:47 PM

Just keep out of da way wen I get my roll on uleh!

Case and point.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Used to do the same. run forever on a few bucks and park anywhere for free.

I had a Puch Magnum, souped up with a 65cc head, 19mm carb, ported, clutch job, expansion chamber, boost bottle, brakes and tires.

loads of fun...just watch out for the rest of the spazzbots on the road...they like to get in your way.

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
whats the gas mileage on one of those babies? i couldn't find it on the website...

sKilled
06-06-2006, 06:28 PM
roughly 2.5 litres per 100km. Or (if I did the math right) 94 miles to the gallon.

SchnellE34
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
wow, thats freakin awesome. well worth the money

sKilled
06-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I figure that it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than catching the bus the 4 or so km's to Uni each day. It costing $1.50 each way until the next price hike it is starting to piss me off. Add to that the unreliability of the Link Bus service in Auckland - catching the bus is Russian roulette "will it arrive or not - will it make it or break down?". Public transport in Auckland is a joke, just like Fukem5.

Paul in NZ
06-07-2006, 02:04 AM
4 ks? jeez walk or bike.....

sKilled
06-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Walking is a pain (up the hill, down the hill, up the hill, down the hill, up the hill and voila at uni and sweating).
And I tried the bicycle thing, and gave that the heave-ho after some cock smoker in a Honda Integra R-Type tried to push me off the road and into the back of a stack of parked cars. Sore looser because I blitzed him at the lights.
The real scary thing is that that was the third hairy encounter in only 1 week! And two of the attempts to injure/kill me were intentional.
On a moped I'd have a better chance of getting out of some jackasses way.