PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replace the center resonator with straight pipes to rear muff

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Just thinking out loud. I have to replace a friends 535 exhaust. I'm thinking about maybe saving her some money by skipping the center resonator and going straight pipes from the cats to the rear muffler. Has anyone tried this. Does it sound terrible? Are there any negative effects? Are there any positive effects? What the heck does a "resonator" really do?

20 questions Ed!

Just trying to get my friends 535 ready for the meet this weekend. It used to be my 535.

Scott H
06-05-2006, 06:52 PM
you should hear it in person sometime! *rolleyes*

Just thinking out loud. I have to replace a friends 535 exhaust. I'm thinking about maybe saving her some money by skipping the center resonator and going straight pipes from the cats to the rear muffler. Has anyone tried this. Does it sound terrible? Are there any negative effects? Are there any positive effects? What the heck does a "resonator" really do?

20 questions Ed!

Just trying to get my friends 535 ready for the meet this weekend. It used to be my 535.

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Dude, your car sounds great. I have heard it *reverse roll eyes*

I did not know your setup had no resonator Scott. kewl

But I am talking about straight pipes to a stock rear muffler, what would you think that would be like.

you should hear it in person sometime! *rolleyes*

sKilled
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't that increase both sound level and pitch? It would sound a bit tinny I think - it is a popular thing to do here in NZ with a rotary engine fitted POS. Which reminds me to add to my list of inventions I wish I could uninvent:
The Nuke
Chemical and biological weapons
Telemarketing
The Wankel motor (may NSU rest in peace)

genphreak
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
She'll hate you for it if you do, Ed. The car will resonate (reverberate, rattle, shake, boom) inside, but it will impress shoppers on the street so much they will drop their bags... at least as much as a large hole in the muffler can. :D

Whatever you do leave the resonator on any M30 or S38 powered e34. Look for extra noise from the muffler, that way its behind you- not under you. :) Nick

632 Regal
06-05-2006, 08:43 PM
pipes sealed are pipes, its where it lets out that the noise transpires from.

MSM
07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Gas may exit at the back, but resonators help damp vibrations and harmonics within the exhaust system, which are also a significant source of noise.

Central heating systems are sealed pipes, however, you can still get a lot of noise from vibration within the system's pipes at times.