PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Depo Halo & HID

Qube
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
::.. Depo Halo & HID

I finally had time to break open all three packs of halo projectors I got from eBay. I have a few conclusions.

1. Depo has the best build quality
2. Depo design does not bode well for HID install (end cap)
3. Depo and the original ones I sold had the best uniform halo design (lighting)
4. The ones sold with the chrome side markers in package are garbage
--- they are also sold separately by kennable (I believe) on eBay
5. Ring is yellow on the Depo and most aftermarket (usually use 4x 194 bulbs)
6. Depo one has very hard to change 'ring' bulbs

In a nutshell, go for Depo for the best quality, but if you're thinking of going HID, it's going to be a pain to fit the bulbs. In a close second would be the ones I sold wayyy earlier with the blue bulbs already installed in the rings. Would the person that bought it chime in and get me the part number or the manufacturer? :)

--------
UPDATE:

The Depo headlamps use what seems to be #74 bulbs for the halo ring. You'll be hard pressed to find one local to make it 'white/blue'. Also, heaven forbid if one burns out you'll need to take out the headlamp assembly to replace it. The flipside is that the ring is the absolute BEST looking from the sets of halo projectors I've tested... including the one I sold to (gt88?) earlier :)

--------
UPDATE:

As you can see, the rings on Depo is much more defined than most other brands (three) I've seen. Sure, you can get a SLIGHTLY more uniform light if you didn't use (white) blue bulbs, but it's very negligible. Once you have the HIDs on, the rings look like four spots... the area between the ring bulbs dim in comparison.

On the Depo rings, you'll still see a slightly brighter area where the ring bulbs are but the overall fill is MUCH nicer. Again, all other projectors use #194 bulbs to light the ring whereas the Depo ones use a what I believe to be #74

The cutoff on all the halo projectors I've reviewed are the same. It's __/ versus __/--- in the stock projectors.

The installation of HIDs in the Depo is slightly more difficult as one has to cut through the hard cap, but certainly (in the end) worth it.

NOTE! The depo halo is REGULAR bulb 'yellow'. The white balance is off and makes it whiteish.

==========
UPDATED: How to tell it's a Depo halo projector (attached new files)

1991 525i Novs
06-05-2006, 12:43 PM
::.. Depo Halo & HID

I finally had time to break open all three packs of halo projectors I got from eBay. I have a few conclusions.

1. Depo has the best build quality
3. Depo and the original ones I sold had the best uniform halo design (lighting)
4. The ones sold with the chrome side markers in package are garbage
--- they are also sold separately by kennable (I believe) on eBay
5. Ring is yellow on the Depo and most aftermarket (usually use 4x 194 bulbs)
6. Depo one has very hard to change 'ring' bulbs

In a nutshell, go for Depo for the best quality, but if you're thinking of going HID, it's going to be a pain to fit the bulbs. In a close second would be the ones I sold wayyy earlier with the blue bulbs already installed in the rings. Would the person that bought it chime in and get me the part number or the manufacturer? :)

would it be possible to show pics of the ones you have tested, because it seems that whats on ebay, dont really know what is depo and what is not. I have been looking for headlights for a while know, anything would help, im in the US if that matters

Scott H
06-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I did so on my Hella e-codes. See my M5 this weekend for example.

.....but if you're thinking of going HID.....

Qube
06-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Oh absolutely :) The point is that it's more difficult than those rubber cap ends on the 'cheaper' halo projectors :|

BillionPa
06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
luckily my Depos came preinstalled with Prolumens muhahah

1991 525i Novs
06-05-2006, 01:15 PM
luckily my Depos came preinstalled with Prolumens muhahah

where did u get them

1991 525i Novs
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
where did u get them

?????

Qube
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Updated main post.

Tiger
06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I'd rather have the hard cap... which is what I have on my Hella Black E-code headlights... 5 years later... zero condensation and HID still working perfectly.

Qube
06-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Updated main post.

Kulasstar
06-07-2006, 07:53 AM
how much did i cost you for the depo light with the hid all together?
(money and time)

Jon K
06-07-2006, 08:09 AM

Yep same here. All I did was drill a hole for the wires to come out.

Qube
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
how much did i cost you for the depo light with the hid all together?
(money and time)

About $70 bucks. Heh.

Retail, you'd be looking at about $250 for the projectors and another $280 for decent HIDs.

Timewise, you should set aside 30 minutes to prep... seal, do wire ends... connectors, etc. To install, should be another 30 minutes to get everything right. So realistically, 1.5 hours. Yeah, I can add, but rarely does anything go perfectly so another 30 minutes for 'screwup' time.

1991 525i Novs
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
You have been doing a great job with the reviews on these, um im in the US and im looking for some depo ones, on ebay, do u think u can look and see which ones arent or are depos and good to buy, or tell how to go about cause it seems like alot are diff and just wondering if there are specific things to look at, cause sometimes the buyer will change the color of the halos or something u know, thanks alot man

Qube
06-07-2006, 01:14 PM
==========
UPDATED: How to tell it's a Depo halo projector (attached new files)

Macv
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
The real question is ... how much will you sell me a set along with one of your HID kits?

Qube
06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
The real question is ... how much will you sell me a set along with one of your HID kits?

Well, then the question is do you really want the inferior type kit? I don't mind selling it. It's not as bad as I say... but if you compare it to the Depo's, they are. $350 and you can have a set with H1 HIDs at 6000k.

Macv
06-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Nah I'd rather the Depo, I was out of my mind when I mentioned the fugly ones.

Evan
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Qube,

Kudos aon the in-depth research.

Sell me a set of headlights with HID.. I'm planning on putting my 540 back together next weekend and I need them by Friday (16th)afternoon, at the latest.

Nick.Hay
06-10-2006, 11:16 PM
The 4x Bulbs in the halo rings...

I assume #74 globes are the 'wedge'-type??

Could the 'halo bulbs' be upgraded to a brighter globe, say Hella's xenon filled variety?? like the pic??
http://db.hella.com.au/tn/W126X.jpg