PDA

View Full Version : My car over-heated and cooked

aabdelhamid
06-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Yesterday due to my stupidity, I overheated my car to the red zone and it was going crazy and almosty stalled several times until I had a chance to park and leave it to cooll down. I cooled it down, filled it up with coolant and kept bleeding the system till it was air-free. Today the car overheated and kept behaving as if it had air in the system (temp going down when I rev the engine). I stopped cooled it down and SURPRISE I have "Tahini" Paste in the radiator. My mechanic suggested we tighten the cylinder head and it would stop the oil leak to the cooling system. What should I do exactly HELP ME OUT HERE BUDDIES

31Hertz
06-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Yesterday due to my stupidity, I overheated my car to the red zone and it was going crazy and almosty stalled several times until I had a chance to park and leave it to cooll down. I cooled it down, filled it up with coolant and kept bleeding the system till it was air-free. Today the car overheated and kept behaving as if it had air in the system (temp going down when I rev the engine). I stopped cooled it down and SURPRISE I have "Tahini" Paste in the radiator. My mechanic suggested we tighten the cylinder head and it would stop the oil leak to the cooling system. What should I do exactly HELP ME OUT HERE BUDDIES

I believe the consensus will be to pull the cylinder head to check for cracks / warpage / and/or block damage. If the car has overheated twice you will at least need to replace the gasket. Waterpump may also be fried? Anyone?

DanDombrowski
06-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Rustam and UKM5 will probably have some good advice for you.

BillionPa
06-05-2006, 10:21 AM
after you determine that there is no block or head damage, replace the headgasket, valve cover gaskets, radiator hoses.

pressure wash the radiator to get rid of all the crap, change the oil, fill with coolant.

then after 500 miles, flush the coolant and oil one more time.

632 Regal
06-05-2006, 10:37 AM
ditto, the only thing you will accomplish by tightening the head bolts at this time is a bunch of broken studs in the block.

grave77
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
tightening the bolts is the most wring thing to do especially when the engine has heating problems. if u ran the engine hot for a long time you probably got a crack in the engine head or even in the block. I suggest you get a second hand good engine ... it's gona be a long way to fix this engine especially after it heated to that limit.