PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure warning.

bbig119
06-05-2006, 05:31 AM
I've been seeing this message frequently and I've been told its nothing to worry about but I thought I'd post to see what you guys think.

the OBC throws an oil pressure warning generally at idle and with increasing frequency as the car gets hot. I've got a '94 540 converted to manual.

Is this something I should be concerned about or do I just deal with it?

DaveVoorhis
06-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Your oil pump bolts are falling out. See http://www.strictlybmw.com/newsletter/importantnotices/v8oilpump.htm

joshua43214
06-05-2006, 06:02 AM
I can not imagine ever telling someone to not worry about this. Even if there is nothing wrong with your oil pressure and yu have a bug in the wiring, you will be driving a car that constantly cries wolf and you will ignore a real low oil pressure warning. Its like driving with your brake lights on all the time, you may as well not have a pressure sensor in the car at all.

If you do have low oil pressure, then you have a real problem that must be fixed if you want to keep driving your car. Most likely it is the oil pump coming loose, or a bad sensor.

bbig119
06-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok, so I'm going to have to remove the oil pan to address this. I've seen a number of post about this common issue, but no specific procedures on how. Anyone know of a post of writeup detailing this job?

Second, since it sounds like its a pretty big job, are there any other preventative maintinence items I should look to perform while I'm going to hoist the engine? Engine mounts looked good over the weekend when I did valve cover gaskets.

Kalevera
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
It's not a hard job -- only the lower pan gets removed, not the upper. I do them regularly. Get a new gasket (metal/rubber deal), oil, and OEM filter kit. There are about 25 M6 bolts that hold the pan in place; if the car doesn't have self leveling, you don't need anything more than a 10 mm socket (and maybe a 10 mm wrench for the bolt under the bracket that holds the level sender harness connector).

best, whit

BillionPa
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
dont forget the red locktite!

might as well get a new oil level sensor o-ring while you are at it.

Kalevera
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Loctite is virtually worthless in that environment. Any oil saturation will prevent it from creating a bond, and the substance can float around in the engine, which leads to spun bearings and things like this:

http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/M70rtv.jpg

HHHhhmm...I wonder why that one stopped running...

632 Regal
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
obviously a nikasil failure... brake cleaner spray in the bolt hole with compressed air should make a good fit for loctite.

Loctite is virtually worthless in that environment. Any oil saturation will prevent it from creating a bond, and the substance can float around in the engine, which leads to spun bearings and things like this:

http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/M70rtv.jpg

HHHhhmm...I wonder why that one stopped running...

uscharalph
06-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I've been seeing this message frequently and I've been told its nothing to worry about but I thought I'd post to see what you guys think.

the OBC throws an oil pressure warning generally at idle and with increasing frequency as the car gets hot. I've got a '94 540 converted to manual.

I occasionally get an Oil Pressure Sensor warning. Maybe twice since I've owned the car. it turned out to be nothing, but I didn't feel good about it.

bbig119
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
It's not a hard job -- only the lower pan gets removed, not the upper. I do them regularly. Get a new gasket (metal/rubber deal), oil, and OEM filter kit. There are about 25 M6 bolts that hold the pan in place; if the car doesn't have self leveling, you don't need anything more than a 10 mm socket (and maybe a 10 mm wrench for the bolt under the bracket that holds the level sender harness connector).

best, whit

What if it has self leveling?

shogun
06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Here is the info how to do
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/240317/5
or fix them like this
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/150332/

bbig119
06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Dropped the lower oil pan. The good news is that I have a bolt from the oil pump. The problem: There are a total of 8 other bolts that I can't see where they are from and I need your help. I've posted pictures showing these bolts.

RealOEM is not very helpful in showing where these are from. They are all 10mm heads, and my fear is that they are from somewhere higher and out of reach with only the lower pan removed. I do not have the ability to drop the main pan from where the car is at right now.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/tfarid/P1010001.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/tfarid/P1010007.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/tfarid/P1010010.jpg

bbig119
06-09-2006, 06:48 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/tfarid/P1010012.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/tfarid/P1010005.jpg

Additional pictures can be taken of the oil cavity upon request.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-09-2006, 07:21 AM
From the last picture, it seems the 10MM headed bolts hold the oil pump together as I can see at least 2 places they should be.

bbig119
06-09-2006, 07:27 AM
From the last picture, it seems the 10MM headed bolts hold the oil pump together as I can see at least 2 places they should be.

Yeah, but the problem is....there are only two empy places for bolts to go, and 9 bolts that I need to account for. The large one is clearly off the oil pump mounting. The smaller guys-- I really don't know.

At the very least, it would be nice to know that I can get the bolt or two installed that I can see missing installed and drive the car around somewhat until I can lift the engine and drop the main pan to see if the bolts are coming from that area.

Jon K
06-09-2006, 07:30 AM
nevermind wrong oil pump nut.

wow... thats a lot of bolts to not know where they came from.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but the problem is....there are only two empy places for bolts to go, and 9 bolts that I need to account for. The large one is clearly off the oil pump mounting. The smaller guys-- I really don't know.

At the very least, it would be nice to know that I can get the bolt or two installed that I can see missing installed and drive the car around somewhat until I can lift the engine and drop the main pan to see if the bolts are coming from that area.

I'd say they could be from the upper oil pan to block as well as for the oil pump. See link below. Many of the upper pan bolts are secured from inside so if they loosen and fall out they'll end up in the lower pan.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=11_1654&hg=11&fg=10

yaofeng
06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Additional pictures can be taken of the oil cavity upon request.

There are 9 bolts fastening the two halves of the oil pump together. 8 short ones and one long. No. I was wrong. There are 11-6 mm bolts, 10 short ones and one long.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2672.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2669.jpg

The big 8 mm bolt came out of one of the three in the following picture.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/Re-exposureofDSC_2671.jpg

The new gasket is no longer cork. It is aluminum and looks like this.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2701.jpg

yaofeng
06-09-2006, 10:11 AM

I'd appreciate some tips for the conversion from you. I've got the parts package in my garage from a 83k 95 540 6 speed ready to go ahead when I have some free time. The V8 and automatic transmission are not removed yet.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3012.jpg

How difficult is it to remove and install the pedal and bracket? Do you remove the instrument cluster?

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 02:43 AM
WOW! Good thing you didn't decide it was just nothing =)

bbig119
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Turns out all those smaller 10mm bolts were from the oil pump. I didn't notice it originally, and fortunately nothing from the upper pan. Funny story, one of the bolts was bent slightly, didn't notice until I started putting it in and it gave me a problem. Instead of forcing anything I decided to take a trip to the $tealer. The parts manager gave me some run around story about how someone had to have gone in there before and messed with the oil pump because "those bolts don't come out", and "I don't even have a part number for them". I told him that the pan still had what appeared to be the original cork gasket and if it had been dropped, not in a very long time. He walked away while I debated my alternative options-- sears hardware, and he came back a few minutes later to appologize. He showed the shop manager the bolt and he asked if it was from a 94/95 540...knew the problem immediately. They still didn't have the bolts though. I bought some unidentical alternatives at the hardware store on the way home, but in the end my buddy tried and successfullly straightened it out just enough that it didn't give any fight to being put back, so all is well-- but it took 4 hours longer than it should have for the whole ordeal.

Thanks for all advice, my car is running much happier now than before.

Kai@e34.de
06-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I occasionally get an Oil Pressure Sensor warning. Maybe twice since I've owned the car. it turned out to be nothing, but I didn't feel good about it.
this warning appears sometimes due to low voltage when you're starting the engine.

yaofeng
06-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Turns out all those smaller 10mm bolts were from the oil pump. I didn't notice it originally, and fortunately nothing from the upper pan. Funny story, one of the bolts was bent slightly, didn't notice until I started putting it in and it gave me a problem. Instead of forcing anything I decided to take a trip to the $tealer. The parts manager gave me some run around story about how someone had to have gone in there before and messed with the oil pump because "those bolts don't come out", and "I don't even have a part number for them". I told him that the pan still had what appeared to be the original cork gasket and if it had been dropped, not in a very long time. He walked away while I debated my alternative options-- sears hardware, and he came back a few minutes later to appologize. He showed the shop manager the bolt and he asked if it was from a 94/95 540...knew the problem immediately. They still didn't have the bolts though. I bought some unidentical alternatives at the hardware store on the way home, but in the end my buddy tried and successfullly straightened it out just enough that it didn't give any fight to being put back, so all is well-- but it took 4 hours longer than it should have for the whole ordeal.

Thanks for all advice, my car is running much happier now than before.

These are M6 bolts, grade 8.8. Bring it to a parts store to match.

yaofeng
06-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Dropped the lower oil pan. The good news is that I have a bolt from the oil pump. The problem: There are a total of 8 other bolts that I can't see where they are from and I need your help. I've posted pictures showing these bolts.

RealOEM is not very helpful in showing where these are from. They are all 10mm heads, and my fear is that they are from somewhere higher and out of reach with only the lower pan removed. I do not have the ability to drop the main pan from where the car is at right now.

The M6 (10 mm socket) bolts fasten the two halves of the oil pump together. There are 11 of them, 10 short and one long. The lone M8 bolt (13 mm socket) fastens the oil pump to its base on the block. There are three of them.

632 Regal
06-13-2006, 07:59 AM
one of these days im going to have to use that new gasket, maybe check them bolts after all.

PhilipJCaputo
06-23-2006, 06:48 AM
my "engine oil pressure" message just came up as I pulled into the parking space at work today... plenty of oil... so I'm going to drop the pan tonight and check out the bolts... hopefully I don't find any sitting in the pan.

how exactly do I use loctite? I just do I just smear it on the threads, and tighten to spec?

Bill R.
06-23-2006, 06:56 AM
brake spray cleaner, dry them, then you don't go crazy with the loctite, its in a dropper type bottle so you squeeze out a couple of drops, enough to cover about 3 or 4 threads on the bolt and assemble.

my "engine oil pressure" message just came up as I pulled into the parking space at work today... plenty of oil... so I'm going to drop the pan tonight and check out the bolts... hopefully I don't find any sitting in the pan.

how exactly do I use loctite? I just do I just smear it on the threads, and tighten to spec?

PhilipJCaputo
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
brake spray cleaner, dry them, then you don't go crazy with the loctite, its in a dropper type bottle so you squeeze out a couple of drops, enough to cover about 3 or 4 threads on the bolt and assemble.

Thanks.... hopefully it won't be a problem getting home from work, the drive is only about 2 miles, so it isn't that bad.

bbig119
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
You should be fine. You see how bad mine was, and I only got the oil pressure warning light at idle, so as soon as you get some speed going it'll be pumping ok. Its a simple job, but some of the bolts for the pump are somewhat difficult to get to. Are you also going to replace the gasket?

Gene in NC
06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Holy ****! Why doesn't every one use an oil pressure gauge? Low cost and simple to rig. Even GM light duty trucks come stock with OP gauges. Even our '93 Chev S10 4.3 has one.

Saved the engine in my GM 6.2 diesel w Banks Turbo when I saw OP drop to 10psi at 4,000 rpm with the hammer down towing car trailer with E34 with failed cooling system. On that long but mild grade the 15/40 Castrol dino reverted back to base stock. Switched to Shell RotellaT and problem solved.

PhilipJCaputo
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Holy ****! Why doesn't every one use an oil pressure gauge? Low cost and simple to rig. Even GM light duty trucks come stock with OP gauges. Even our '93 Chev S10 4.3 has one.

can you check the oil pressure from the OBC?

wheres the thread with the instructions to install the gauge?

PhilipJCaputo
06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
You should be fine. You see how bad mine was, and I only got the oil pressure warning light at idle, so as soon as you get some speed going it'll be pumping ok. Its a simple job, but some of the bolts for the pump are somewhat difficult to get to. Are you also going to replace the gasket?

yep, put a new gasket on.... also, when the bentley calls for 89 INCH lbs of torque.. you'd better believe it.

I snapped one of the oil pan bolts right off... had to drill it out.... looks like tomorrow I'll hit a hardware/autoparts store and get a replacement.

All of the oil pan bolts were the same size.. except one was about half the length... anyone notice something similar?

it was pretty clear that the pan had been taken off before, because there wasn't a guard around the pump sprocket/chain, and one of the bolts didn't match the others (didn't have the same 8.8 stamped on the back)

BillionPa
06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
89 inch pounds??? WTF

BillionPa
06-23-2006, 11:29 PM
well, just dropped the pan 5 mins ago...

only 1 bolt at the bottom!!!

im betting all the sludge down there kept them from coming loose!

looks like a rugby field in the rain.

luckily i have about 6 bottles of Auto-RX just for this occasion!

I also got all new o-rings and a new oil chain, and a new pressure control piston assembley, time to rebuild the pump.

PhilipJCaputo
06-24-2006, 04:03 AM
89 inch pounds??? WTF

thats what the bentley says.... I was trying to do the math in my head and dial it in on my torque wrench.... but I think it was too far down on the low end of my torque wrench's scale, so I couldn't feel it when it clicked.

MTechnik540i
08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
obviously a nikasil failure... brake cleaner spray in the bolt hole with compressed air should make a good fit for loctite.

What's general concensus on using the Loctite? Definitely don't want to risk letting this float around.

632 Regal
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
spray the bolt holes and threads nuts etc with brake cleaner or whatever to remove all traces of oil. you should also wait 24 hours before you heat it up to temp. dont use too much and none should drip oit.

What's general concensus on using the Loctite? Definitely don't want to risk letting this float around.

byurko
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
I was having similar issues about a year ago... I dropped my pan and all of my oil pump bolts were tight. I ended up taking it to Truett at www.stgbmwservice.com for him to look at it. He ended up replacing the pump, but noticed bearing material in the oil. Looks like it needs a rebuild! I haven't messed w/ it since Oct. 05, but am finally going to tackle it!!! I haven't driven it in over a year and miss it!!

I talked to Allen Patterson the lead tech at Korman (www.kormanfastbmw.com) about rebuilding my engine. He recommended I buy a new shortblock from BMW, which would cost about the same as machining the old w/ new pistons etc.

Take my advice... Do not drive your Bimmer w/ a low oil pressure warning!!! It'll probably cost me at least $5K to get mine fixed! That's more than my freakin car's worth...

Bryan

Alexlind123
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
well, just dropped the pan 5 mins ago...

only 1 bolt at the bottom!!!

im betting all the sludge down there kept them from coming loose!

looks like a rugby field in the rain.

luckily i have about 6 bottles of Auto-RX just for this occasion!

I also got all new o-rings and a new oil chain, and a new pressure control piston assembley, time to rebuild the pump.

Arent you worried about the AutoRX loosening the sludge and clogging the oil passages?

BillionPa
08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
it doesnt loosen the sludge, it liquifies it slowly over about 2000 miles then lets the oil filter take care of it.

brosher
08-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I snapped one of the oil pan bolts right off... had to drill it out.... looks like tomorrow I'll hit a hardware/autoparts store and get a replacement.

Ouch, I've been there. Did the same thing when tightening down a camshaft bracket on my old ZX6R when adjusting the valves. Finally got the thing out using EZ-outs. Bought a new bolt and go to put the bracket back on, snap goes another one that must have weakened from the original over tq-ing! :(

Lesson is you need some precision tq-wrenches for inch pounds and adjust carfully. I will definitly be checking this on my car I just bought soon.