PDA

View Full Version : Rotor upgrade opinion

Bimmer93
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
93 525I, For a while Ive had issues with vibration and pulsation when I was braking and it seems to be getting worse. So I'm looking for ideas on what to buy there are rotors that are slotted, drilled and slotted or just drilled and Ive also heard about the drilled rotors cracking, I guess my goul is to dissipate as much heat as possile can someone give me a heads up?:) Also a small note the thrust pushings are in good shape. THANK YOU!

saj3n
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
93 525I, For a while Ive had issues with vibration and pulsation when I was braking and it seems to be getting worse. So I'm looking for ideas on what to buy there are rotors that are slotted, drilled and slotted or just drilled and Ive also heard about the drilled rotors cracking, I guess my goul is to dissipate as much heat as possile can someone give me a heads up?:) Also a small note the thrust pushings are in good shape. THANK YOU!

I had this problem too until last week when Jon K. replaced my rotors, pads, and thrust arms (I added springs just for the heck of it). No more problems at ALL! I did get the drilled/sloted rotors. They are nice!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/saj3n/IMG_0360.jpg

Montreal525
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Slotted rotors will eat up your pads. I have brembo rotors drilled with PBR semi-ceramic pads. Excellent combo, low dust, very efficient. Just did 45000 km on one set of pads and the rotors are still fine.

Jeff

saj3n
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Slotted rotors will eat up your pads. I have brembo rotors drilled with PBR semi-ceramic pads. Excellent combo, low dust, very efficient. Just did 45000 km on one set of pads and the rotors are still fine.

Jeff

Question,

Aren't ceramic/semi-ceramic pads supposed to last longer anyways?

E34 530
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Question,

yes, ceramic pads are supposed to last longer than regular pads. Did you get those pic's uploaded of your car w/ the new suspension yet?? I'm dieing to see what it looks like.

saj3n
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh ok... Good.. :-D

Yea! I sure do have those pics! (1 is new signature...) I just snapped a few while driving today. I'm gonna put a comparison picture up too.

E34 530
06-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Yea! I sure do have those pics! (1 is new signature...) I just snapped a few while driving today. I'm gonna put a comparison picture up too.

The ceramic pads are supposed to last MUCH longer than OEM or other regular pads from what I have read. Much less dust also. I just installed Raybestos ceramics a few weeks ago and they seem pretty good. Brake dust has been cut by a good 80% also.

angrypancake
06-04-2006, 08:24 PM

where are the pictures?!?!?!?!?!

I have ceramic pads and drilled Brembos. noticed an improvement in stopping. a lot of brake dust though :(

E34 530
06-04-2006, 08:26 PM
where are the pictures?!?!?!?!?!

I know, I'm going insane. I want to see them too lol.

angrypancake
06-04-2006, 08:27 PM
bimmer.info is like crack to me. just gotta have it!

Bill R.
06-04-2006, 08:35 PM
same rate as conventional pads, but they are quiet , don't dust and offer better performance. I have had to replace them on a couple of cars i've done so far.

Question,

saj3n
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22566

E34 530
06-04-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22566

looks great!! I can't wait until mines done.

saj3n
06-04-2006, 09:10 PM
looks great!! I can't wait until mines done.

YAY!!!!

Thanks!

joshua43214
06-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Unless you autocross, just get stock OEM rotors. Drilled or slotted pads give you bragging rights and not much else on the street. They will not cool any faster, cooling is done via the fins, the slots are to allow gases to pass off easier, not something that is an issue on the street or with most modern pads. Save your money for something else, The e34 already has fantastic brakeing, drilled rotors are a waste of money IMO.

I do not like the feel of ceramic pads, so I use organic pads. I am a very aggressive driver and I am quite happy with the performance of my brakes. If you want to upgrade your brakes, look into using the 540i setup, it bolts right up and will cost alot less, and give yuo better brakeing than drilled rotors and then you will also have no issue getting replacement parts.