PDA

View Full Version : "Top Tier Gas" - BMW Recommended Gas Companies???

SharkmanBMW
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
taken from e46fanatics

BMW has released a list of Top Tier Gas companies with "better" fuel, that will make your car run better!
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Paul in NZ
06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
they shoulda done that in about 1993/4

ericcamaro
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I havent ever seen that but These companies have been saying this for a while

"Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves."

Same techron, v-power slogan. Thats why u always see a shell station next to an AMPM, one has cheap gas and one has good gas. right.

SharkmanBMW
06-04-2006, 03:35 PM
letter from BMW

Russell
06-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Aways use top tier gas 93 octane almost all the time. I use BP 93 when I cannot find Chevron or Shell. I also often add Fp60 or Lucas upper cyliner lubricants. I think I notice a slightly smoother engine.

Alexlind123
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Aways use top tier gas 93 octane almost all the time. I use BP 93 when I cannot find Chevron or Shell. I also often add Fp60 or Lucas upper cyliner lubricants. I think I notice a slightly smoother engine.

I also use "top tier" gasoline. I have never filled my tank with anything other than Shell plus-grade or Shell V-power. Another fun factoid: I have filled my tank at only one station for as long as i have had the car.

632 Regal
06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
absolutly none of them stations exist with the exception of Shell, which is on a corner with rental homes and apartments so the average cost per gallon is always at least 15 cents per gallon higher then anything else. I use Mobil 93 octane and once used their 89 octane when premiul wasnt available and got 2 MPG higher and no pinging or detonation...havent experimented with it since tho. I do wonder if it works better in my car though.

AeroSmooth
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Good post! I always use Chrevon or now even Texaco. After I had problems with carbon buildup and other deposits in my Chrysler fuel system. Now, I would only use Top Tier gasoline retailers, and I have been trying to convince my dad to switch away from the cut-rate stations as well.

Another good tip that was passed down to me was not to fill up when a refueling truck is there...it stirs up the dirt at the bottom of the tanks. Better to keep that junk out of your car.

uflnuceng
06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Hmmm... only gas available around my way is Sunoco, BP (which is slowly disappearing for some reason), Sheetz, whatever Giant Eagle sells and I think that is about it within 30 minutes of my house. Sunoco is the best I can get, so that is what I use.

632 Regal
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
actually BP is good stuff, its refined in Canadia and thats supposed to be from the alaska and canadia crude that the US cant refine (cause they are retarded and artificially keep the costs high)

Hmmm... only gas available around my way is Sunoco, BP (which is slowly disappearing for some reason), Sheetz, whatever Giant Eagle sells and I think that is about it within 30 minutes of my house. Sunoco is the best I can get, so that is what I use.

uflnuceng
06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Hmmm... that's interesting... but the thing that sucks is 3 BP stations have closed down in my area in the last year or so... Sunoco is everywhere. I knew sunoco had an issue with carbon deposits but its not nearly as bad as whatever brand gas Sheetz get... that stuff is horrible. 92 octane actually makes my engine stutter... its weird. I use to do BP but the local stations have closed down leaving one that I only pass maybe twice per week. Sunoco is everywhere around here.

swenpro
06-13-2006, 07:32 PM
95% of the time I fill up with Shell V-Power... and a while ago I was getting BP Ultimate often because I thought I had a Nikasil engine (I don't) and BP has the lowest acclaimed sulfur rating I've found.

I've ran regular once, and there was never a problem, otherwise I've always filled with premium... am I just tossing money away for clear-conscience sake? After all, the higher octane IS making the engine burn hotter...