PDA

View Full Version : M50 Head question.

bjl4776
06-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Is a bare head from a '92 non-vanos M50 the same as that off a M50 vanos head. I am talking casting only, no springs,valves, cam trays or cams.

Rigmaster
06-04-2006, 12:39 PM
it's different. The head casting is made to accomodate the vanos unit.

Are you looking for a VANOS head??? I have one if you are.

Bret.

Jon K
06-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Whered ya get another non vanos head? lol i thought i took yours with the motor :)

bjl4776
06-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I came accross another one. Im looking for a spare head so i can start to build it up for my M3. I am looking for a VANOS head, PM me with details.

winfred
06-04-2006, 12:55 PM
not that i've seen, i have yet to need to install one on the other and run it but i have played with some parts on core heads and the vanos plops right on, the biggest difference i've seen in the castings between the m50/m50tu/m52 is the hole changes slightly for the cam sensor (some are deeper, may need a extra o-ring or the different pick up) and the m52 only has one hole for the temp sensor, the boss is there and just needs to be drilled and tapped

it's different. The head casting is made to accomodate the vanos unit.

Jon K
06-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Additionally aren't the valve stems on a non vanos 7mm while vanos is 6mm?

OT but hows your relay board coming.

winfred
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
i am talking about swapping the head with it's valves and springs and using the correct cams for whatever set up you have of vanos/non vanos, not sure about the outside diameter of the guides for the possiblity of punching them out and going back with new, the dohc motors do seem to wear out guides sometimes badly

Additionally aren't the valve stems on a non vanos 7mm while vanos is 6mm

bjl4776
06-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Im doing a completely rebuild. New guides, seals, valves, cams, springs, and possible machine work to get a bit higher compression and some porting and polishing. I found a bare head for cheap but it is non-vanos, i also found a bare vanos head, so im not gonna take the chance and just get the vanos head.

Oh, and i havent ordered the relay board yet. Im going to send my board to peter now for sure. Ill order the relay board next week sometime. Im spending my extra money this week for the head.