PDA

View Full Version : Family's growing,going to need a bigger car...

Crusty nz
03-29-2004, 06:12 AM
...I'm looking to upgrade(?) the 530 for an E32.my first choice would be '92 740iL with good history and mileage.This I can do for about NZ$12-14K.
But I am tempted to go for a 92-93 750iL.I am presently very close to entering into the neg process with a German bloke who has a mint 92 model for sale with history and 140km's for under $10k. Silver with black leather and 18''m5(rep) wheels.I am very keen indeed.Are the 750's that bad?Am I man enough to own one?Can I make it handle anwhere near what the 530 does?Or should I just be happy with what I have, now that I've got it where I want it?Winfred,George, feel free to jump in at any time. Please tell me if I'm being dumb! Cheers,Crusty.

Paul in NZ
03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
i think the 750 will be a VERY nice car,until something goes wrong!.AAalso the 740 wil be Nikasil but i dont know if we had any problems here with the nikasil bore corrosion issue.All you gain is some wheelbase.As far as hadling goes weel i dont think ultimately a 7 will handle as well as a 5 but hey we dont drive on auto bahns or racetracks.......presumably both sevens are autos????do your homework on those too.Wwhere abouts are you again?I am making our regular trk to Tauraunga again and we always end up in Auckland for a day.would be good to meet up.......

Crusty nz
03-30-2004, 05:22 AM
... Know I should be happy with the 530.I've got it just right now .I just like the idea of the exta legroom of the iL.And the extra boot space.With kids you dont seem to be able to go anywhere without taking half the damn house with you.Then as they get bigger their feet start kicking the back of the seats etc.Living in Coromandel we have to travel at least 1 1/2 hours to go anywhere so you always need heaps of gear.And I DON'T want a Camry wagon!I think that if I get a 750 I'd probably want to keep it for trips away and get a cheap jap runabout for a shopping basket.I cant imagine a V12 liking short cold trips 90% of the time.cheers

winfred
03-30-2004, 10:18 AM
the 750 aint much worse then a 740, they both get intake manifold leaks (less often on the 750) the rest of the car is the same, the only unique issue on the 750 is the two throttle servos it'll want some about every 120 k miles and they are hideously expensive, my cost on em is slightly over $500 each dealer list is $850, i don't know why the 750 scares every body so much, if you can find one that's not whipped and has some records go for it, i have a guy that's cheep as the day is long and won't spend a dime in his 250k mile 750 unless it won't move under it's own power and it keeps on trucking (and leaking/shimmeying......)

ryan roopnarine
03-30-2004, 10:51 AM
problem that you ascribe to, winfred....this gentleman may have created a fix for it...

http://www.users.qwest.net/~gbower/bmw/BMWThrottles.htm

making the 750i (aside from gas consumption) a more attractive proposition if one is somewhat electrically inclined.

same, the only unique issue on the 750 is the two throttle servos it'll want some about every 120 k miles and they are hideously expensive, my cost on em is slightly over $500 each dealer list is $850,

Crusty nz
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
...it is encouraging to find so much good info on the web.The car i'm looking at is very nice indeed.I may now move to the next level of negotiations.Winfred,Is the lad suspension still able to be lowered?I assume the front end is virtually inentical to the E34.If the lad fails I believe you can replace the inserts with conventional gas .Is this true?cheers.P.S.If I buy an E32 am I still welcome on this board???

winfred
03-30-2004, 09:37 PM
i've never tried to lower a lad, doing it would be a matter of adjusting the rod coming from the rear swaybar going to the valve, now how the system would behave i have no idea. the front end is almost identical to a e34, you won't see the differences. regular rear struts and a plug is all that's needed to kill lad, but it's not a bad thing, the only part that needs replacing is the bombs, on ether side theres one nitrigen filled ball that gives the hydrallic system some give, otherwise it's just like the cylinder on a forklift, solid, sometimes a shock will leak at which point find a used one, new is pricey. sure e32s are welcome