PDA

View Full Version : Crazy mod ideas?

Macv
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
For no certain reason, I had an idea for the front of the e34. In NO WAY am I going to attempt to do this as I do not believe it looks very good at all.

Jon K's new sig (below) ...

http://e34.digital7.com/sig_final.jpg

... gave me the idea. What if the e34's had something to completely delete the legendary kidneys? So using my poor photoshop skills, I did it to a picture of one (happens to be another pic of Jon K's).

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3990/jk15qc.jpg

Can anyone else imagine this? To me, the idea looked good whilst only looking at Jon K's sig pic. When the photoshop came out, I thought differently of the idea.

Anyone else had this idea? Or any other crazy ideas at that? I'm curious... ;)

Alexlind123
06-03-2006, 07:02 PM
http://servo.postverket.us/alex/angry1.jpg

angrypancake
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
thats mine! :) :)

JerseySi
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I think the biggest problem would be the front of the bonnet, where it raises over the grille..
Just done a quick photoshop of my car, not sure i like without the kidneys :D

Original pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/BM1.jpg
Without kidneys:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/BM2.jpg

E34 530
06-04-2006, 10:24 AM
http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540516&highlight=photoshop

SharkmanBMW
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
The kidneys ARE BMW, why remove them?

Macv
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Its kinda like when people black out the kidneys on a black bimmer.

I don't know, it was just an idea.

JerseySi, I really like your door handles, how did you paint those?

JerseySi
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
JerseySi, I really like your door handles, how did you paint those?

All I did was to flat them down with some 400-grit sandpaper (wet), mask them off from the doors and get keen with rattle-cans :D
Currently they're still only in white primer :p there's a few patches on the car that have needed "touching up", and the white primer i bought was almost an exact match!
Will be getting a complete respray soon as I have the ££, as there's a few places the original paint has got so thin you can see the primer underneath

And Sharkman - I agree - BMW wouldnt be BMW without the kidney grilles!

CharlesAFerg
06-04-2006, 02:05 PM
All I did was to flat them down with some 400-grit sandpaper (wet), mask them off from the doors and get keen with rattle-cans :D
Currently they're still only in white primer :p there's a few patches on the car that have needed "touching up", and the white primer i bought was almost an exact match!
Will be getting a complete respray soon as I have the ££, as there's a few places the original paint has got so thin you can see the primer underneath

As soon as I can figure out how to get the damn whole front panel off that goes over the grill and under the lights, I'm going to sand it and paint the whole thing flat black. I figured I would also keep the kidney grills chrome. (My car is silver btw) The reason I want to repaint it is because the PO used the wrong color touch up paint on like 100 chips in the front... I can always paint it silver again if I want, but I figured I might as well just do this first to try it out :-P

While I'm doing that, I figured I would work on my headlights too, maybe tint some of them(low beams right? Which ones should I tint? I've seen it done on 3 series cars... Also, should I make my corners black? Or just get clears? I'm thinking about blacking out my rear lights, because I have an ///M5 license plate frame, i figred I would try it out.
-Charles

CharlesAFerg
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Well, it would still definately be a BMW, but it would look like a ****ing volkswagen, a large rabbit, basically :-P

Oh, yes that does stem from a previous experience of having to drive a piece of trash red 99 jetta around fr a few months. Ick. It was terribly problematic, and it made my whole body hurt because the shocks were terribly bad...

I apologize for the double post :)

JerseySi
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
As soon as I can figure out how to get the damn whole front panel off that goes over the grill and under the lights, I'm going to sand it and paint the whole thing flat black. I figured I would also keep the kidney grills chrome. (My car is silver btw) The reason I want to repaint it is because the PO used the wrong color touch up paint on like 100 chips in the front... I can always paint it silver again if I want, but I figured I might as well just do this first to try it out :-P

While I'm doing that, I figured I would work on my headlights too, maybe tint some of them(low beams right? Which ones should I tint? I've seen it done on 3 series cars... Also, should I make my corners black? Or just get clears? I'm thinking about blacking out my rear lights, because I have an ///M5 license plate frame, i figred I would try it out.
-Charles

Not sure about doing the panel all black - you meaning to do under the headlights too yea? I reckon it might just look like you'd removed/lost the whole panel from a distance..
I did my front indicators black (if for no other reason - it was cheaper than buying clears!), couple of quick coats of gloss black car paint, and a quick rub over with some Autoglym rubbing compound a few days later once the paint had gone off...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/RoverDog/Beemer/Beemer2006-06-04045.jpg

Have seen tinted headlights for E30's before, nearly got some for my old 325iS, but figured they'd only cut the amount of light, and i like seeing where i'm going! It might look odd if you only did one pair of lights, i.m.o.

Definately would smoke the rears though, did my rear indicators red and it looks tons better than the faded orange - would've done them all black if I had a ///M panel though :D

Oh btw - ignore the scuffed up bumper rubbing strips in that pic - was like that when i bought it! :D (when i have the ££ I want to swap them for US style ones - with the side marker lights!)

SharkmanBMW
06-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh btw - ignore the scuffed up bumper rubbing strips in that pic - was like that when i bought it! :D (when i have the ££ I want to swap them for US style ones - with the side marker lights!)

why do we want the opposite of each other?!
We North Americains always want to get the Euro trims!

CharlesAFerg
06-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Not sure about doing the panel all black - you meaning to do under the headlights too yea? I reckon it might just look like you'd removed/lost the whole panel from a distance..
I did my front indicators black (if for no other reason - it was cheaper than buying clears!), couple of quick coats of gloss black car paint, and a quick rub over with some Autoglym rubbing compound a few days later once the paint had gone off...

Have seen tinted headlights for E30's before, nearly got some for my old 325iS, but figured they'd only cut the amount of light, and i like seeing where i'm going! It might look odd if you only did one pair of lights, i.m.o.

Definately would smoke the rears though, did my rear indicators red and it looks tons better than the faded orange - would've done them all black if I had a ///M panel though :D

Why does everyone have that same scratch on the panel? I have the same exact kind of scratch, from a ****ing Honda at school.

I would be willing to sell you my US style trim with the lights :-P But I will take pictures of all of the panels if you would like, jsut for show.

I see E30s with only the low (or maybe it's the highs) around, I can't remember which, but it is definately only one pair.

The reason I want to paint the whole panel is it is chipped and TERRIBLY painted over with touch up paint on all of the large chips, and it looks terrible. I figured, why not, and I could always do them seperately somehow. The bottom line is though, I need it painted over, it looks too bad as it is. Thats really the only reason.

Oh, and pelase explain the front corner tinting process, PM me if you'd like, I'm really interested!
Thanks!
-Charles

JerseySi
06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
why do we want the opposite of each other?!
We North Americains always want to get the Euro trims!

:D i know eh!
I see so many threads on here with people saying they want rid of the side marker lights, and think to myself "mmmm just send em this way!"
Have already started on the "us look" by popping an extra 5watt sidelight bulb into the indicators, even our local police don't seem to mind - as long as it flashes brightly they're cool :D
Over here, about the only cars with side marker lights are Volvos, and nothing comes with sidelights in the indicators as standard - over here there's another guy who's done it to a Land Rover Discovery, but thats it

JerseySi
06-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Why does everyone have that same scratch on the panel? I have the same exact kind of scratch, from a ****ing Honda at school.

I would be willing to sell you my US style trim with the lights :-P But I will take pictures of all of the panels if you would like, jsut for show.

I see E30s with only the low (or maybe it's the highs) around, I can't remember which, but it is definately only one pair.

The reason I want to paint the whole panel is it is chipped and TERRIBLY painted over with touch up paint on all of the large chips, and it looks terrible. I figured, why not, and I could always do them seperately somehow. The bottom line is though, I need it painted over, it looks too bad as it is. Thats really the only reason.

Oh, and pelase explain the front corner tinting process, PM me if you'd like, I'm really interested!
Thanks!
-Charles
Know what you mean about the chipped paint - although oddly, my front panel is fine - it's the top of the bumper that's bad - lots of chips, and it looks like the previous owner touched it up with TippEx :(

Front indicators were easy to do - if i remember right i didnt even bother taking them off the car, just used loads of masking tape/newspaper around them!
I would reccomend taking them out though, to be on the safe side :D
Started by cleaning them with cellulose thinners/panel wipe on a clean rag, just to remove traces of polish etc.
Then i just sprayed over them with normal gloss black car spray paint (Holts Duplicolour - Ford Diamond Black i think)
Lots of light coats, leaving a few minutes between each coat, until they were dark enough (obviously - more coats = darker = less light output - careful not to go too dark or no-one will see them flash!) - thats why i did them on-car i think, so i could leave the hazards on, to make sure they werent too dark!
The finish was pretty good straight after that, and I could've left them - but decided i'd try & make them a bit more shiny! Left them for probably a week to let the paint cure completely (like to play it safe lol), them simply went over them carefully with Autoglym Cutting Polish. Kinda like T-Cut or Faracela G3 compound.
Little bit of time on each one, rubbing away - although not rubbing too hard, or you'l rub the paint off again, then a clean rag to get the polish off - and presto! shiny black lights!

Cheers for the offer of the side trims - am more than skint at the moment though, and there's more important things to fix on the car first (exhaust for a start, the flexi-pipe from manifold-downpipe is screwed, sounds real rough! :( )

winfred
06-04-2006, 04:14 PM
**** i must be board
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/slantedgrill.jpg

Macv
06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
head on makes it look even more weird.

CharlesAFerg
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
head on makes it look even more weird.
Volkswagen alert.
http://www.euronationmotorsport.com/images/Gli_gti-027_T.jpg
The left one...

Yeah....no.
Cheap looking.

I'm leaving the chrome grills, but blacking out the corners and my panels. I'll take pics. My panel is destroyed anyways, it needs changing...

CharlesAFerg
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I was thinking, I could only tint the circle that goes around the projector port on the low beams... Do you understand? Basically the outer part but not the center, where the glass is smooth all the way through, and not textured. That would stay clear... Thoughts?

Nick.Hay
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Computer says... NO!!!

Removing the grilles, is BADNESS!!! :Thumbs down: