PDA

View Full Version : solid Delrin sub frame mounts... bad idea?

fujioko
06-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi ‘ya folks,

Ok, the E34 is temporally “off the road”.. I decided to pull the insurance on the car and park it for a month or so. The main reason is the car is black with a black interior.. and a non-functional A/C… That sucker can get HOT!

Anyway I have a long laundry list of things to repair and now seems like the best time to attend to the issues.

Here is a silly idea, can someone advise me if I should proceed..

I thought about machining new rear sub frame bushings from solid delrine. The bushings would have a steel insert for the through bolt. I am blessed with a home machine shop and plenty of delrine so this experiment wouldn’t cost anything.

Just because I have the raw material and the equipment doesn’t make this a good idea, in fact it may be a bad idea…

Let’s hear some comments.. good or bad.

Thanks

sKilled
06-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Mate, if it turns out to be a good idea, you wouldn't be able to hook a brother up with a set would you?

fukem5
06-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I can see you have a spitfire. The wings are missing though. I have a parts plane if you need some wings. The 308 machine guns are still in the wings and they have no rust as well. My parts plane has matching numbaz and shot down 15 bf 109z in WWII.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi ‘ya folks,

Ok, the E34 is temporally “off the road”.. I decided to pull the insurance on the car and park it for a month or so. The main reason is the car is black with a black interior.. and a non-functional A/C… That sucker can get HOT!

Anyway I have a long laundry list of things to repair and now seems like the best time to attend to the issues.

Here is a silly idea, can someone advise me if I should proceed..

I thought about machining new rear sub frame bushings from solid delrine. The bushings would have a steel insert for the through bolt. I am blessed with a home machine shop and plenty of delrine so this experiment wouldn’t cost anything.

Just because I have the raw material and the equipment doesn’t make this a good idea, in fact it may be a bad idea…

Let’s hear some comments.. good or bad.

Thanks

Subframe bushes from medium soft urethane maybe, Delrin no. That is unless you want your car to sound like a gravel truck and run the risk of tearing out the subframe mounts...

BigKriss
06-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Agreed. Delrin will transmit too much road noise to the chassis - maybe just reinforce them with liquid urethane - thats what I plan to do.

BigKriss
06-03-2006, 07:53 AM
yeh look if u want to be a poof then dont have the machine guns. but serioulsy if ur are a poof then have some ky sub frame bushings up ur .butt. why dont u do a search u ******.

fukem5
06-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Ever hear of a tune-up?
If you looked after your wheels you wouldnt have to be here.
My subaru never let me down, Now i got me a 3 series, i'm gonna get this place in order. Too many fools on here.