PDA

View Full Version : FS: 93 BMW 525i and I'm no longer in the E34 club.

DanDombrowski
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Alright guys,

I hate to rush this on you so fast, but I think I need to get some stuff taken care of this weekend. I picked up an autoloan with the bank and am going to be picking a new car pretty soon. I will still stay on the board though.

I took my car into carmax and had them appraise it. They gave me a decent quote (for a car with a busted transmission) and I can't see that I will get a better deal anywhere else (due to the transmission). So I'm pretty sure I'm going to take her in soon.

Let me just say that after I got the appraisal and walked out of that place and saw my car parked out in the parking lot looking just as good as she ever has, I have never loved my E34 more. It really pains me to part ways with her, she's been terrific to me. I've never once been stranded. In the 4 years I've owned it, it has started EVERY time. Never overheated once. Always get compliments on it, etc.

Anyways, all this has made me REALLY REALLY want to sell her to a board member. It really is a good looking car, and would like someone who has the time and access to a transmission to be able to enjoy her again. If anyone here can make a deal with me in the next few days, you don't have a very high number price wise you have to beat.

Please give my car a new home so I don't have to trade it in :(

Alexlind123
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Why are you getting rid of it if you like it so well?

scott540
06-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Dan, what's carmax?

Rigmaster
06-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Dan, what's carmax?

Carmax is a chain of used car dealers owned by Circuit City. They normally specialize in newer cars, like 7-8 years old. They say that they don't play games with trade in's- so they appraise your car and make you a cash offer- it's good whether or not you buy a car from them.

I don't think they exactly pay top $$$, but it's usually not awful, and it's a firm offer without dealing with selling the car yourself to the PITA general public.

Whay sell the car if you like it so much Dan?? IMHO, it's a REALLY stupid move financially to buy a NEW car. Run the numbers, figure out how much to fix the tranny in your car (not sure what's wrong with it.....) and how much you'd spend on a new car (monthly payments) and then reevaluate.

At least think about a slightly used car, 1-3 years old- you'll save a BUNCH of $$$ on depreciation, and you should be able to find something that's truly like new.

Bret

Gayle
06-02-2006, 07:46 PM
I agree with Bret. No matter how much car repairs cost, it is still cheaper than a new car.

And have you been in a new car lately? They have gone to that new leather look that is textured and looks fake and cheap. $40,000 cars are crap today. My friends are all getting new acura TLs. Boss has a new yukon. Other friends have new mazdas. None are as nice as our e34s (except better factory sound and stupid features like video cam that let you see where you are backing).

I assume you are not considering a BMW but they are crap too. Don't you remember the pics Whit posted of what the oil of new BMW look like when changed at the recommended intervals. SLUDGE. Here is the thread but the links to Whit's pics are broken, but Winfreds are still there. Just scroll down.

Sludge pics--this is what you can expect from some newer cars (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13606)

You will be like this poor soul in the white shirt at bimmerfest who sold his 540 and was longingly fondling our e34s wishing one were his.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h235/Bimmerfest06/m5Small.jpg

OK. End of rant.

Derek A.
06-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I remember writing a few $4k estimates on e38 cars that were neglected. Nothing really majorlywrong - but they needed a bunch of service. I just can't stomach a car payment on a POS I would rather drive a 20 year old porsche/bmw/volvo than a brand new car.

DanDombrowski
06-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Hmm,

I should have specified more details, as I was on the phone and talking to someone at the same time as posting this.

I wasn't planning on getting a NEW new car, just new to me. My mistake. I have run the numbers, I was planning on getting a 2001-2002 330i or 330ci, depending on what they are going for and availability. I have a couple in mind already that I'm going to look at today.

The reason I'm getting something new is because I will need to replace the transmission in my car. Since I just plain don't have the time to do it myself, the cost of having the trans replaced by a shop is not worth the cost of doing so. I love the car, but I have many other obligations that take priority when it comes to money.

As for the new car, I've driven plenty of E46s to know I will be perfectly happy in one. I just know my car has life in her for the right person, and would like to give someone the opportunity before its too late.

e39dream
06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
just me but you may develop more interest if you post the location of the car, and a ballpark. I can assume a high mileage e34 with a shot trans isn't worth a ton, maybe 1500 tops?

angrypancake
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
west palm beach IIRC

Paul in NZ
06-03-2006, 03:42 PM
i dont think the cost of putting a new tranny will be anywhere near the cost of upgrading to a e46 but on the other hand it is virtually a brand new car.Just make sure it hasnt had the same oil for 4 or 5 years

DanDombrowski
06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey,

Sorry about that. I had it in my last post, but not this one. I'm located in South Florida, Boyton beach to anyone from the area.

No, the cost of a transmission is nowhere near the cost of an e46, but its something I've been meaning to do anyway eventually. It just makes the most economical sense to do it now.

Carmax offered me $1800 for the car. Anyone that can beat $1700 and can do it quick can take her. I'd love to sell it to a board member, but money is money.