PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about BMW CD Changer compatability

Craig Wright
03-29-2004, 12:55 AM
I could not find answers in the archives so I'm asking here...

My neighbor has offered me his CD Changer(PN 82 11 1 468 014). It is from his '95 525. He had an accident last week and the insurance company wrote it off. He takes delivery of an '98 528 tomorrow, and was told by the dealer that that unit will not work in the 528.

Will this work in my '89 535? How can I determine if my radio is CD ready? I have the CD-Ready Radio owners manual and the Anti-Theft CD-Ready Radio Program instructions and ID card that came with the owners manual. When I push the band selector it only indicates AM and FM. There are no "extra" wires in the trunk, only the wires to the amp next to the tail lights on the drivers side. Were cars pre-wired back then or not?

Thanks in advance,
Craig Wright
Cleveland, OH

silver-e34
03-29-2004, 01:01 AM
if its not prewired for it than you cant install it unless you wanna do a lot of wiring. i just bought a sony deck with a sony cd changer much more simpler and cheaper

micjordan
03-29-2004, 02:34 AM
If you dont end up using it would you/your neighbor be willing to sell it to me? I just got a 94 540 that is pre-wired for it and am looking for one to buy. I went to cartoys and magnolia hifi but both said they didnt carry any that would work with the wiring.

I could not find answers in the archives so I'm asking here...

My neighbor has offered me his CD Changer(PN 82 11 1 468 014). It is from his '95 525. He had an accident last week and the insurance company wrote it off. He takes delivery of an '98 528 tomorrow, and was told by the dealer that that unit will not work in the 528.

Will this work in my '89 535? How can I determine if my radio is CD ready? I have the CD-Ready Radio owners manual and the Anti-Theft CD-Ready Radio Program instructions and ID card that came with the owners manual. When I push the band selector it only indicates AM and FM. There are no "extra" wires in the trunk, only the wires to the amp next to the tail lights on the drivers side. Were cars pre-wired back then or not?

Thanks in advance,
Craig Wright
Cleveland, OH

Patrick
03-29-2004, 03:50 AM
Check here:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e34/stereo/e34_cd_changer.html
You need to read through this carefully if you haven't already. Also follow the instructions on pressing (-) and (program) at the same time to find out what stereo head unit you have.
I'm guessing that it won't work because the 95's had funky head units so maybe the changer units are very specific as well??
Don't know about your pre-wire question but my 92 was -mine was on the left side of the trunk buried away behind the trunk panel near the factory amp.
These sites may be helpful as well.
http://www.pie.net/bmwpiom.htm
http://vaxxine.com/gblawson/535/cd/changer.eht

Hate to send you to Roadfly but usually you can find a used Pioneer CDX-M30 CD Changer for around $150 in the classifieds, or on eBay.

Hth.

Jr ///M5
03-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Craig, your '89 isn't prewired. You will need to run the Pin cable from the head unit to the back of the trunk. You will also need power once you are back there. Gordon has an excellent document on routing the cable.

As suggested earlier, try to pick up a CDX-M30 with the cable if possible. You will love the sound, the 535 wasn't pre-wired but it does have an amplifier.

Good luck,
Jr

BMW-F1-FAN
03-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I got a cdx-m30 from a yard. Do you know where I can get a cable for it. The one that came w/ it out of a '94 does not fit my head. It is rectangular and it needs to be circular.
Craig, your '89 isn't prewired. You will need to run the Pin cable from the head unit to the back of the trunk. You will also need power once you are back there. Gordon has an excellent document on routing the cable.

As suggested earlier, try to pick up a CDX-M30 with the cable if possible. You will love the sound, the 535 wasn't pre-wired but it does have an amplifier.

Good luck,
Jr

Craig Wright
03-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks Patrick. I'm sure that Gordon's site will be helpful. I do not think I can do the (-) (program) thing as I do not have any program button on my head unit.

Craig

Craig Wright
03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

Craig

Drooby
03-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I got a cdx-m30 from a yard. Do you know where I can get a cable for it. The one that came w/ it out of a '94 does not fit my head. It is rectangular and it needs to be circular.

Ebay : Item number: 3086848890 ;;;Changer with cable;;;; but its almost over!