PDA

View Full Version : Martin / others with an oil cooler...

Robin-535im
06-02-2006, 08:30 AM
How does the oil pump hold up with the extra load? I assume there is no noticeable decrease in system pressure, perhaps the cooling / viscosity increase makes up for the difference in oil circuit path length?

Scott H
06-02-2006, 08:48 AM
535 M30 US comes without a cooler
M5 3.6 US comes with a cooler

The oil fill capacity and oil pump are the same for both motors. It must not cause a significant change or else BMW would be using different parts and fill specs for them. I have not had an oil pressure gauge on the M5 yet so I cannot provide an actual number.....I should probably get an oil pressure gauge on that thing now that I think about it! The pressures I see on the new pump in my M30 are 60psi >3000rpm and 20psi at idle with oil at 210F

How does the oil pump hold up with the extra load? I assume there is no noticeable decrease in system pressure, perhaps the cooling / viscosity increase makes up for the difference in oil circuit path length?

Martin in Bellevue
06-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't think there's been a problem with the cooler in the last couple of years use. I'm not entirely sure it is needed outside of extended track use, or heavy towing, or some such.
Walt saw oil temps climb on the track with his m30b35, in the e28. The stock oil cooler fixed that.

Scott H
06-02-2006, 09:26 AM
:(

There are so many greek things to discuss.

I don't think there's been a problem with the cooler in the last couple of years use. I'm not entirely sure it is needed outside of extended track use, or heavy towing, or some such.
Walt saw oil temps climb on the track with his m30b35, in the e28. The stock oil cooler fixed that.

Martin in Bellevue
06-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Been out of town. May be relocating to Sacramento.
Wondering how stringent the visual inspections are in California.
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/theM30.jpg

Robin-535im
06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm sure they would classify it as a work of art and pass you regardless...

As long as the emissions come out okay and it looks stock (as yours does to the uninitiated) you're probably fine. I know the O2 sensor is "emissions equiment" but is the AFM / MAP part of that system? I know it is "technically" but it may not be "legally", if you know what I mean. (If not, Scott has a picture for you that could explain it much better...)

I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to use the auto tranny oil cooler as an engine oil cooler. Cooler parts generally wear less, and it's been my experience that engines seem to have more pep when operating at cooler temps / higher oil pressure, but I'm just shooting from the hip really.

Maximabello
06-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Don't do it!

Robin-535im
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM

BTW - is that a temp sensor in the airbox? Part of the AFM replacement process?

Martin in Bellevue
06-02-2006, 12:44 PM
BTW - is that a temp sensor in the airbox? Part of the AFM replacement process?
That is the furd intake air temp sensor from the pro M maf kit.

Jeff N.
06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
I hear the inspection is hell. I'll watch those headers for you until you come back.

Scott H
06-03-2006, 05:19 AM
by default.

I hear the inspection is hell. I'll watch those headers for you until you come back.

Bill R.
06-03-2006, 08:15 AM
california and they are usually competent enough to catch you ... I'd keep the old stuff on hand to do a temporary switch out if needed. If its not carb approved then its not allowed.

fukem5
06-03-2006, 08:34 AM
How does the oil pump hold up with the extra load? I assume there is no noticeable decrease in system pressure, perhaps the cooling / viscosity increase makes up for the difference in oil circuit path length?I run twin coolers and see upwards of 1200psi oil pressure regularly on my gauge... you're just mad messing around with anything less.

JAlfredPrufrock
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Martin where is your engine fan?

Martin in Bellevue
06-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Martin where is your engine fan?It was off for some maintenance; new coolant pump, belts. It didn't go back on for a few months over the winter. The fan is on there now.

Hector
06-03-2006, 05:52 PM
like mine except my valve cover color is a semigloss black. Used same color for the intake as yours.

BTW, as for the visual, you'll do fine in CA.

Martin in Bellevue
06-03-2006, 07:12 PM
like mine except my valve cover color is a semigloss black. Used same color for the intake as yours.

BTW, as for the visual, you'll do fine in CA.

That aluminum intake manifold is not painted, just clean. It was tanked a while back at the machinist's when the head got new valve guides & the 284 cam.