PDA

View Full Version : Restore Engine Performance

hoodsstalker
06-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone, I own a 95' 525i ATM(automatic transmission) with 140k miles
(btw what is that A/M switch for? i dont have a owners manual)

since i have owned my 5 , one question has haunted me: Am I getting the top performance out of my 5?

There are two issues in particular that have me scratching my head that i want to fix and would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

When i begin driving for the day and the engine is cold i encounter a problem. I get on the highway/freeway and accelerate to move at the speed of traffic, then my transmission stalls. i make it into 2nd gear and i stare at the RPM gauge. the arrow rises to about 3k rpm , then flutters up and down from 3k rpm back down to about 2.5k rpm. If i press all the way down on the acceleration , the transmission stops stalling and continues rising to 4krpm and on (but its a very rough transition). if instead i attempt to gradually accelerate , the rpms continue to flutter until i release my foot from pedal and sort of "pepper" the acceleration. is the fluttering or stalling of acceleration/rpms damaging my transmission?

the other issue i have with the 5 , is that from what i've read on the forums and seen on the freeway , the e34 is a fast car. my 5 , seems to be lacking power and acceleration but i'm not sure what could be the cause , i recently changed the spark plugs and put in Bosh platinums. for about a week i had better mpg and acceleration. i also did an oil change about two months ago , but still i feel as though i'm not tapping into the full potential of the engine.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
thank you for your time guys and gals

BillionPa
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
i need to let my car warm up for 5 mins otherwise the tranny is crazy like that.

if you really want optimal performance, start with ditching the bosch plugs, and get denso iridium plugs and high performance ignition coils.

then replace every gasket in the engines intake system.....

well to make a long story short, how much do you want to spend to make your car run better?

I would recommend new high performance transmission fluid, and probably some engine oil thats better than what you are running now. oh, new air filter!

DanDombrowski
06-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Its a fast car if your transmission has the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on it.

ryan roopnarine
06-02-2006, 04:39 AM
if its "fluttering" at between 55 and 60 mph, your transmission has a (documented) defect occuring, that isn't cheap to resolve. if this is the case, you might want to start a new thread, inquiring about how much people have paid to get it fixed.

wingman
06-02-2006, 04:40 AM
I think you'll find that most in the know will say ditch the platinum plugs. The M50 525i should take off sweetly and smoothly. There's plenty of power there normally so you may need to look at your fuel delivery system. I'm spit balling and will get a smashing for it but it's where I would start. Change the fuel filter first and see how you go.

joshua43214
06-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Seems you double posted and i responded on the other thread =)