PDA

View Full Version : "Tee" for rigging Fuel Press. tester. Source?

Gene in NC
06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
"Tee" for rigging Fuel Press. tester. Source? How much pressure will a nylon tee take? My lost rig had a 5/16 brass tee.

Rigmaster
06-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I would not use a nylon tee in a FI fuel system.

Lowe's has lots of brass fittings, you should be able to rig up compression fittings and/or hose barb fittings to work just fine.

If you want to get really fancy, try Cross Hose on Yonkers Rd, they have all sorts of high pressure fittings, hydraulic, etc. I got some stuff from them to test the high pressure oil pump on my diesel truck, they had forged tee fittings and the proper gauge to make it work.

Bret

Jon K
06-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Simply brass with 2 barbed fittings did it for me.

Alexlind123
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Simply brass with 2 barbed fittings did it for me.

Did you leave the T on and cap it off? I have been wanting to check my fuel pressure just for fun, but i dont really know how to go about doing it. I would get as far as removing the fuse for the fuel pump while the engine was running to lower the fuel pressure in the hoses, but i wouldnt know where or how to attach the pressure guage. Do you have any suggestions?

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but it kinda the same question, just more involved.

Jeff N.
06-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Summitt racing should have what you need. Or, any local hot rod shop that caters to engine builders/drag racers should have a good warchest of fuel connectors.

Alex - re your question, I'll try to post a pic of my hardmounted fuel gauge setup.

It's very simple - a $20 FP gauge from summit, a T off the high pressure line just below the intake manifold, and a scavanged IVC holder that's been repurposed to mount the gauge.

Jeff

Gene in NC
06-01-2006, 03:08 PM
IMHO a FP guage that you can only see with your head under the hood falls far short.

My trick FP test rig is a tee with the center rigged to a piece of fuel hose long enough to reach the windshield under the wiper blade. The guage part is from one of those el cheapo compression testers that push into the plug hole.

This shows fuel pressure from the drivers seat and while driving. M20 525s are famous for Stumbles up to 80 mph. Is prob ingition (wires/cap) or interruption of circuit (power/ground) at the pump. Helluva trick to get your head under the hood to see a fuel guage then.

Jon K
06-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Alex - I left mine installed for the longest time. No issues.

joshua43214
06-02-2006, 05:57 AM
A black nylon tee is plenty strong enough if you are only testing. If you plan to leave it hooked up, use a brass tee from any hardware store.

Just tap in where the fuel line enters the rail, or at the fuel filter.