PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with some Questions 525i

cableface
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey everybody, I just got my first ever BMW and I'm new to all this so please bare with me if I say anything stupid. It's a '92 E34 525i AT with 210,000 miles purchased at a price of $1200 bucks. (I think that's a pretty good deal??) The car looks very good inside and out, especially considering its age. A couple small paint chips but nothing touch-up paint can't handle. The running condition is good as well but there are some issues that need addressed. I will list them off and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

1. AC/Heater: The blower motor does not turn on at all. I cannot tell for sure if the compressor turns on either but I think maybe it does. I have not checked the computer for codes as I have only had it two days. I replaced the blower resistor for the hell of it b/c it was just a few bucks. No change. I have ordered a used blower motor, and will be trying to install it soon. Is this a good course of action?? Or should I do something else? Could the entire climate control module be bad? If so, how should I check it?

2. The front end feels a little "loose" when hitting bumps or potholes. When braking, the brakes feel kind of like they are sticking, I think this is due to the front end. What would cause this? Bushings of some sort? The car has a lot of miles so I'm guessing that the front end could use some attention.

3. The car has some slight hesitation when accelerating. Once the acceleration begins, it is quite smooth but the hesitation is definitely there. It's there when accelerating from a dead stop or while already driving. I'm going to be changing the plugs soon. What else could I check??

Again, ANY help is much appreciated and I look forward to hearing what anyone has to say. Pics of the car are soon to come.

Caleb

TheEndIsNear
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
With those miles be sure to check for regular maint. There's a lot of threads on this forum with lots of good helpfull information. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your first BMW. I'm on my first as well and have become a die hard. I will own BMWs till I die!

cableface
06-01-2006, 04:24 PM
As promised :) This is really the first car that has made me feel kind of "giddy", like I'm a little kid or something. I've owned around 20 cars in my lifetime but there's something about this way this thing drives and looks. I'm just happy to get to own it, even if it does have high miles. With some luck maybe I can get another 50-60k out of it. Any more advice is still appreciated.

http://home.comcast.net/~egaylor1/525i-2.jpg

632 Regal
06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
50-60k? the only thing that breaks these things is rust and accidents, everything on them is fixable so you can change your hopes to 100-200 more miles easily.

Looks real nice and clean too!

cableface
06-01-2006, 05:30 PM
50-60k? the only thing that breaks these things is rust and accidents, everything on them is fixable so you can change your hopes to 100-200 more miles easily.

Looks real nice and clean too! Are you serious? Wow, I had no idea that they lasted that long. I'd pretty much stuck to Hondas before this purchase, so I'm not too familiar with 525's longevity. I really bought this on a whim simply because of the price. I figured I could resell it at the least, but now that I have it.... No way! This is going to be my new baby. It's going nowhere unless I'M driving it. THANKS FOR THE INFO!!

TheEndIsNear
06-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah, mine just turned 250,000 this week and still running very strong.

GJPinAU
06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Are you serious? Wow, I had no idea that they lasted that long. I'd pretty much stuck to Hondas before this purchase, so I'm not too familiar with 525's longevity. I really bought this on a whim simply because of the price. I figured I could resell it at the least, but now that I have it.... No way! This is going to be my new baby. It's going nowhere unless I'M driving it. THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
The only thing you'll really hate about it is getting out of it to go to bed at night LOL;)
Enjoy!

TheEndIsNear
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
That is so true...

Morgenster
06-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Don't be surprised if you find yourself trying to find excuses just so you can spend time inside or around the car.
And by the looks of the picture yours seems sweet.
Enjoy!

cableface
06-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Don't be surprised if you find yourself trying to find excuses just so you can spend time inside or around the car.
And by the looks of the picture yours seems sweet.
Enjoy!

Thanks guys, I'm sure it's going to be a great ride. I'm very excited. Does anyone know what would cause the front end to feel a bit loose when hitting large bumps and potholes? Does this need immediate attention? It's not bad but noticeable. I'm sure something is worn out, but not sure what it would be....

KenB
06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Could be many things...start by using this link. From there, navigate to the sections on steering and other components and read all about it.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Suspension/Suspension_main.htm

cableface
06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Could be many things...start by using this link. From there, navigate to the sections on steering and other components and read all about it.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Suspension/Suspension_main.htm
Thanks, I'm looking now. I'm still getting to know this site.

HIe34
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Strange enough, I just purchased the same exact car about 2 months ago but only 150k miles. Paid a little more than you, but the car is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

This is also my first BMW and i can't get enough of it. I drove a Mazda 626 for the last 10 years.

I've never purchased so many damn cleaning products to make it look just right. And certainly never did as much maintenance research just for the hell of it.

Have fun with it.