PDA

View Full Version : Soft faced pliers for FPR diagnosis?

Gene in NC
06-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Soft faced pliers for clamping off fuel lines? What are soft faced pliers or what is alternative method for solid clamp off at 40+ psi?

Working on FPR diagnosis. Tip calls for fuel press guage inline at fuel rail, start eng, eng off, clamp input and return with soft faced pliers to detect leak in injectors or ruptured diaphram leaking into intake manifold.

joshua43214
06-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I just use a pair of vice grips. just keep adjusting the pressure until you feel the hose compress. I have some special hose clamps, they are a piece of fat wire bent at 90 degress with a pad to clamp against and has a wing nut. They work really well, I normaly use them on brake hoses when removing calipers.

SchnellE34
06-01-2006, 08:54 AM
i used vice grips also, to replace my fuel filter, worked perfectly

TheEndIsNear
06-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I love my Vice Grips!

Alexlind123
06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I was afraid to use anything to clamp the hoses when i replaced the fuel filter, as the hose is original and i would be afraid of cracking it, and i only had enough hose to replace one. If the fuel pump fuse is removed while the engine is running, there wont be much pressure at all in the lines, and you probably wont make any mess at all if youre careful and you have a bolt or somehting of the right size to stick in the end of the hose. I would think that any sort of clamping or pinching would shorten the life of any hose dramatically, although it is easier and faster.

bfd
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I was afraid to use anything to clamp the hoses when i replaced the fuel filter, as the hose is original and i would be afraid of cracking it, and i only had enough hose to replace one. If the fuel pump fuse is removed while the engine is running, there wont be much pressure at all in the lines, and you probably wont make any mess at all if youre careful and you have a bolt or somehting of the right size to stick in the end of the hose. I would think that any sort of clamping or pinching would shorten the life of any hose dramatically, although it is easier and faster.

For changing the fuel filter, I use a set of Snap On (Blue Point) Hose Pinchers:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=66783&PartNo=ya2850&group_id=1461&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Bill R.
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
handle with plastic jaws,you squeeze them and then slide the ring on the handles down to hold them shut with just the right amount of pressure. I also use vice grips with a short length of 5/8 heater hose slipped over each jaw about 2 inches long for each piece. This makes it so that you have some nice thick rubber hose squeezing the fuel line with no sharp edges that could cut into it.

Soft faced pliers for clamping off fuel lines? What are soft faced pliers or what is alternative method for solid clamp off at 40+ psi?

Working on FPR diagnosis. Tip calls for fuel press guage inline at fuel rail, start eng, eng off, clamp input and return with soft faced pliers to detect leak in injectors or ruptured diaphram leaking into intake manifold.