PDA

View Full Version : OT: OMG I am so excited. Razberry released today.

Gayle
05-31-2006, 09:38 PM
What is thinner than the Razr?
What feels like the Blackberry?
What operates on Windows Mobile 5?
What weighs only 4.1 ounces?
What is cheaper than the Treo?
And is carried by Verizon (The only carrier in my area with decent reception and I know because over the years I have had them all).

Answer: The Motorla Q smartphone. Nicknamed by those who have been patiently waiting the last 9 months for its release as the "Razberry".

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/e34Gayle/q.jpg

I have had Treo lust for about a year now but just couldn't justify getting one. Then about a month ago I was in a meeting with 2 attorneys, a psychologist, and a divorcing couple. We all pulled out out calendars to schedule another meeting, and felt so stone age to not be electronic. :(

Then last week the haughty bitch at work came in with a Palm Treo and was bragging about all her cool programs. I had the "That's it. I'm getting one" moment.

Had to decide between palm and windows and decided to go with windows just because it is the devil I know as opposed to the one I don't know.

Was ready to pull the plug and buy when Hubby came across the announced release of Q in his blog reading. Due to be released May 31 online and June 6 in stores. Logged on to the verizon site this morning and it really was there! It is like believing in Santa Claus all over again.

I ordered. Got the blue tooth headset so I too can wear borg like ear piece while on the treadmill at the gym. Passed on the mini sd card as can get one with more memory for fewer $ elsewhere. It is suppose to come in 2-5 days.

Specs (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=113)

Cnet review (http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6529781.html)

Another review (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002134.html)

And no, I don't work for either Verizon or Motorola. I am just a happy girl waiting for my toy to come and wanted to share.

liquidtiger720
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
I was thinking about snatching that too!

Gayle
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I was thinking about snatching that too!

Hey Josh. I thought I remember you saying you like keeping your phone and pda separate when Sharkman was was talking about his Treo.

By the way, I was at a picnic at Crissy field Sunday. Thought about calling you but we weren't in town long. After the picnic, I asked what this Chinese guy who was there did for a living. The answer was he was one of founders of Cnet and sold and never has to work again. It confirmed my belief that everyone in the bay area has founded a high tech company. Are you secretly rich Josh?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/e34Gayle/IMG_1261.jpg

Zeuk in Oz
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
But can it bake a cake ? :D

Gayle
05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
But can it bake a cake ? :D

LOL Yes and it slices and dices too. Don't know if it vibrates. ;)

632 Regal
05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
whats them mouldy green turds in the background?

liquidtiger720
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Its true...my real pda would still be used- sperately. I just want to use EV-DO...its awsome.

Lol.No...I'm not secretly rich. I'm in college, im poor. :)

SC David
06-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Aw, no call to us San Franciscans?? I'm ashamed in you Gayle. But then again, I could see you not wanting to waste your time ONLY making calls when you could ALSO be typing a report, playing tetris, navigating the urban jungle, and emailing the president of Belgium simultaneously.

Ross
06-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Gayle, Thanks for info in PM. Tried to resondbut got error message user not found. I hate this machine.

Russell
06-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Stone age is good! :) Does everyone need/use every feature on these devices?. While I like/use technology I do not see the need to jump to the next device just because it may offer "more". More useful options or just more?
IMO, it is sad that peer pressure dictates what a person needs. IMO, the cutting edge is often the bleeding edge where failure is common. I like to adopt features after they are somewhat out of "user beta testing" and proven useful. Anyway, my opinion, no offense intended.

Gayle
06-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Stone age is good! :) Does everyone need/use every feature on these devices?. While I like/use technology I do not see the need to jump to the next device just because it may offer "more". More usefull options or just more.
IMO, it is sad that peer pressure dictates what a person needs. IMO, the cutting edge is often the bleeding edge where failure is common. I like to adopt features after they are somewhat out of "user beta testing" and proven useful. Anyway, my opinion, no offense intended.

No offense taken. I am rarely an early adopter as can be seen by year long lust for a Treo. This is probably the first time in my life I have been on the bleeding edge of technology, even though I am in a profession where everyone tends to be technophile.

And do you know what made me want a Treo? This forum. I wanted to be able to check in anytime from anyplace. LOL. And one of the things that pushed me over the edge to buying was the crack down on internet usage at work. It is really more to stop those sucking up bandwidth listening to music online, but I have already been on the internet bad list once before from my ebay clothes and purse shopping addiction days. I can be such a pistol anyway. I don't want them to be able to catch me in violation of the personal usage rules so I can argue with them over meaningful stuff in my job evaluation.

Ross
06-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Can it play eight tracks?

Gayle
06-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Can it play eight tracks?

A question like that will strip you of your dinosaur status. A true dinosaur would inquire about its ability to handle vinyl.

More thoughts in response to Russell's bleeding edge point. I have realized I rely on the internet for everything and it is a major inconvenience when it is not available. My computer is in the shop right now and using my husband's to post this feels like it puts a strain in the relationship.

Last weekend drove my "24/7 need for the internet" home.

(1) Made an overnight drive from San Diego to San Francisco. Roll into Berkeley at 5 am looking for a Starbucks. Couldn't find one! No one on the street to ask. couldn't find anyone on the street to ask. Couldn't figure out which way was west to head back to the interstate. Internet access would have solved those problems.

(2) An hour later--sitting at Denny's eating breakfast. Hubby and I have this very interesting conversation about the subtle differences in meaning between the words "maverick" and "rogue". dictionary.com would have been so helpful.

(3) Two hours later--Discussing a relatives interest in buying a 95 Mercedes turbo diesel wagon and doing bio diesel (oh those bay area environmentalists). He was looking it up on ebay on a slow access computer, and impatient me wanted to check auto trader. If I could have pulled a Q out of my purse the same way I do my digital camera, I would not have experienced the frustration of trying to share a slow computer with a clueless person.

(4) Shopping at Sur la Table--thought about buying a rachlette. Wondered if I could get it cheaper on ebay. Had to go back to the home based computer to find out.

I am at the point I have to have internet access 24/7. One reason I am usually not an early adopter is that the normal pattern is twice a much for half the price within a year. The Q is already there in comparison to the Treo on that front.

granit_silber
06-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Gayle,

That's awesome! I've been looking at the treo now for a couple of years, but could never bring myself to pay the $500 price (in my area).

The Q is the same price I paid for my razr! Can't wait for the GSM version as I completely hate Verizon.

-ashley

Russell
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
All very interesting. This is one reason, IMO, why technology and consumer buying patterns is constantly changing. I know of at least one local office supply store is closing their storefront and relying on business delivery. They have found that internet orders are taking the place of phone orders and walk-ins. Can you imagine the impact of on-line comparsion shopping while standing in Home-Depot, Sears or any other chain store. What will that do to prices?

Now I want 24/7 access to the internet! Looks like the best portal will be some sort of handheld device/phone etc.. However, who knows in 5 years. BTW, my current phone's serivce agreement is almost up. Think I will start my research. Of course via the internet!

Gayle
06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
All very interesting. This is one reason, IMO, why technology and consumer buying patterns is constantly changing. I know of at least one local office supply store is closing their storefront and relying on business delivery. They have found that internet orders are taking the place of phone orders and walk-ins. Can you imagine the impact of on-line comparsion shopping while standing in Home-Depot, Sears or any other chain store. What will that do to prices?

Now I want 24/7 access to the internet! Looks like the best portal will be some sort of handheld device/phone etc.. However, who knows in 5 years. BTW, my current phone's serivce agreement is almost up. Think I will start my research. Of course via the internet!

I think bricks and mortor will still do ok. It turns out that the shipping on the rachlette puts the price over the store plus tax cost so I will buy in the store. I had never even heard of a rachlette before I saw one in the store. If I had my razberry I would have be able to decide to buy it on the spot. (In case you are wondering, a rachlette is sort of a cross between a fondue and a grill. It is a table top grill that mulitple people cook on at the same time).

And yesterday I bought a web cam. Did the research online but went to Frye's cause I need it by tommorrow. Ended up buying a more expensive one at the the store than I had planned because it had better resolution. But I knew the relevant issues before going in.

winfred
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
well vinyl is actually good and still avalable, the guy i work with has a class A sound system that's awsome

around here biodiesel's main good point is you can make it under a buck a gallon, it's not just trendy, i actually consider it a bad point that it makes less soot :D the big black cloud of death is fun

A question like that will strip you of your dinosaur status. A true dinosaur would inquire about its ability to handle vinyl.

(3) Two hours later--Discussing a relatives interest in buying a 95 Mercedes turbo diesel wagon and doing bio diesel (oh those bay area environmentalists)..

Scott H
06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Is it really that bad to be forced to slow down once in a while? All of these gadgets have trickled down to younger users and contribute to the "instant gratification" attitude that is running rampant through our younger generations today. Many of the kids (7 - 18 years old) that I know pitch huge fits when they cannot get something fast or when they have to deal with a slow internet connection. The ability to get information NOW is very useful for highly time sensitive operations in business, medicine, law, etc. These devices have slowly allowed us to bring activities like personal purchases, 411 gathering, etc up to similar levels of expediency. 1) As much as I'd love to get a wireless device such as this, I refuse, on principle that my whole life cannot and does not need to move at the pace of a lightning bolt. I need a 36 hour day to fit my schedule in as it is, and it's only naturally going to get busier as work a family responsibilites change. 2) I have personally watched many of my colleagues chase after these devices, purchasing an upgraded one each year, if not twice in a year. This amounted to no less than $600/year in costs for these things. I'm sorry, but I'd rather waste my money elsewhere. 3) I held out on cell phones for the longest time until I realized it's best to have one available while traveling in a vehicle for emergencies. I still hate the thing.

I had to order a new rec/drier and o-rings for the a/c system in the touring the other day. I was on the train with some downtime which was a perfect time to gather the part numbers and call Pat @ BMA. I realized I had not installed the ETK on my new work laptop yet, and had no access to realoem.com. Initially I got really pissed that I could not use my downtime effectively, but slowly realized it wasn't going to kill me to wait to arrive at work and take care of the business then. (I know many of you are thinking 'why didn't you just call Pat anyway and walk through it?', well that's not how I work....I like to see production changes and part numbers and have them ready for a quick transaction). I find myself wanting these solutions just as much on occassion, but I refuse.

I had never even heard of a rachlette before I saw one in the store. If I had my razberry I would have be able to decide to buy it on the spot.

Bruce Kennett
06-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Is it really that bad to be forced to slow down once in a while? All of these gadgets have trickled down to younger users and contribute to the "instant gratification" attitude that is running rampant through our younger generations today. Many of the kids (7 - 18 years old) that I know pitch huge fits when they cannot get something fast or when they have to deal with a slow internet connection. The ability to get information NOW is very useful for highly time sensitive operations in business, medicine, law, etc.

last night i was going over with my 16-yr-old son the paper on napoleon that he had written for his french class. (i speak pretty fluent french so i serve as a ringer on that subject . . . as opposed to pre-calc or biology!) we were sitting in front of the mac, which has a high-speed connection, looking at the text of his paper, which is all in french. we needed to know if a word was masculine or feminine gender. (i knew but wouldn;t tell him, it was up to him to find out.) he REFUSED to pick up the french-english dictionary that was three feet away and look it up, insisting instead that he go on line and check it with an online dictionary. of course i grabbed the robert paper dictionary and had the answer in maybe 20 secs. he struggled with finding the right site, then mistyping the name, forgot to ask for english --> french, etc. and it took him way over a minute. what amazes me about this is a kind of intolerance that he and his friends have for the times when the old tech/traditional methods are actually faster/more efficient/more pragmatic. why not choose which works best? i'm a book designer and photographer -- i have digital cameras but also still use 4x5 sheet film in a view camera ("old fashioned" kind that sits on a tripod and you put your head under the black cloth, although in my case i have a very beautifully-made swiss camera called sinar which is a lot like a bmw). i just use whatever works best.

i'm with you, scott, we have enough distractions as it is. i still use a paper daytimer when i go out into the world, and laboriously transcribe onto my computer calendar on the laptop when i get back (i often go out without laptop or cell phone -- just me and the mission i'm on.)

bruce (the 56-yr-old curmudgeon!)

Bruce Kennett
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
well vinyl is actually good and still avalable, the guy i work with has a class A sound system that's awsome

and long after the little pits have fallen off our cds, the records will still be playable!

i have quite a fine stereo and have about 10 times as many LPs as i do CDs. records still sound the most natural.

very funny comment about vinyl vs 8track though, gayle!

bruce

Russell
06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
my cell phone is a brick style Nokia. Best reception available per cingular. It makes phone calls period! I am considering a new phone, but only when something new makes functional ( not its's cool) sense. That attitude seems so strange to a gadget person.

I too believe in using the best tool for the job. However, I and other people know how to use other tools. Many of the "young" people have no knowledge of multiple techniques to solve problems. Only digital approaches to problem solving. That really scares me.

Gayle
06-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey Scott

You still using Lotus?

Scott H
06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
for a handful of applications. I assume you are talking about Lotus 1-2-3. I have managed to keep my IT dept from eliminating it.

Hey Scott

You still using Lotus?

Robin-535im
06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Is it really that bad to be forced to slow down o...

Sorry Scott, took too long reading all those words. Could you sum it up with a picture?

Scott H
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
http://nerra.com/broadsword/tomes/pictures/11.05/middle_finger_flame.jpg

:D

Sorry Scott, took too long reading all those words. Could you sum it up with a picture?

califblue
06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow you guys totally blow me away...as a confirmed NON-technophile ( go figure I am in the Aerospace industry)
I just can not imagine getting excited about an electronic device unless of course as Gayle previously mentioned that it Vibrates ( for her pleasure :D )

I mean...Life is to be Lived!
after all it is a sensory experience...use your verbal and memory skills while you still have their full and undivided attention…Hell if you forget something it was most likely not that important anyway....

here are a few things I never forget

The Feel Of The SUN On My Face
The Smell Of Low Tide
The Feel Of The Ocean Touching My Skin
The Smell Of Beautiful Women
The Sound Of My Ducati
Ice Cold Beer

To all my E34 friends...."If The Phone Doesn't Ring It's Me";)

Gayle
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Love the pic Scott. Have you considered using it as sig pic--maybe with a quote like "I CAN'T STAND IMPATIENCE!"

Scott H
06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
as I can be an impatient person. I also try to stay away from highly controversial sigs ;)

Love the pic Scott. Have you considered using it as sig pic--maybe with a quote like "I CAN'T STAND IMPATIENCE!"

kyleN20
06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
i never buy somthing like that brand new right wen it comes out, i let them work the bugs out first. i bought PS2 right when it came out, mistake, it broke, i waited on my PSP and have had no problems and ill tell you what, if that thing was a phone, i would offically have everthing i want. actully, i can connect to any wireless internet and call people through spring relay, so it is a phone, there you go, its everthing i need.

angrypancake
06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
my cell phone is/was a real piece of crap. i never used it anyways, and finally got mad and smashed it. i'm enjoying not getting drunk dialed at 4am by idiots. i have a regular old house phone, and it works just as well. as for internet access well thats a different story.

CharlesAFerg
06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
my cell phone is/was a real piece of crap. i never used it anyways, and finally got mad and smashed it. i'm enjoying not getting drunk dialed at 4am by idiots. i have a regular old house phone, and it works just as well. as for internet access well thats a different story.

Cell phones are pissing me off, they need to make them so complicated that the dumbass blonde moms in minivans and suburbans stop trying to text or dial while driving, I almost got hit today cuz of that. I want to kill them every single time.......... omg

Bill R.
06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
smart ass question but a serious one. I don't have a cell phone, have managed to stay away from them completely so far so i'm not knowledgeable as to what they can do and what features there are.
My question is what capabilities does this have that i would want or need? In laymans terms, and how useful are these features really? Is this something that i want if i break down and finally get a cell phone?

Thanks

What is thinner than the Razr?
What feels like the Blackberry?
What operates on Windows Mobile 5?
What weighs only 4.1 ounces?
What is cheaper than the Treo?
And is carried by Verizon (The only carrier in my area with decent reception and I know because over the years I have had them all).

Answer: The Motorla Q smartphone. Nicknamed by those who have been patiently waiting the last 9 months for its release as the "Razberry".

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/e34Gayle/q.jpg

I have had Treo lust for about a year now but just couldn't justify getting one. Then about a month ago I was in a meeting with 2 attorneys, a psychologist, and a divorcing couple. We all pulled out out calendars to schedule another meeting, and felt so stone age to not be electronic. :(

Then last week the haughty bitch at work came in with a Palm Treo and was bragging about all her cool programs. I had the "That's it. I'm getting one" moment.

Had to decide between palm and windows and decided to go with windows just because it is the devil I know as opposed to the one I don't know.

Was ready to pull the plug and buy when Hubby came across the announced release of Q in his blog reading. Due to be released May 31 online and June 6 in stores. Logged on to the verizon site this morning and it really was there! It is like believing in Santa Claus all over again.

I ordered. Got the blue tooth headset so I too can wear borg like ear piece while on the treadmill at the gym. Passed on the mini sd card as can get one with more memory for fewer $ elsewhere. It is suppose to come in 2-5 days.

Specs (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=113)

Cnet review (http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6529781.html)

Another review (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002134.html)

And no, I don't work for either Verizon or Motorola. I am just a happy girl waiting for my toy to come and wanted to share.

winfred
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
i use maybe 5 minutes a month on my cell phone, id get rid of the bastard if it didn't have the potential to bring help if a car shits out on a test drive, maybe i need to work on less shitty cars for non brokedick customers, about the only useful thing it does is help me find mom in the mall when i get board and leave her and grand ma for more interesting stuff, or go park it on some lawn furnature in sears while they fart around. got asked once why they could never get me on my cell "because i leave it in the car so i don't get bothered" "i have it for my conveinence not yours"

Gayle
06-01-2006, 07:13 PM
smart ass question but a serious one. I don't have a cell phone, have managed to stay away from them completely so far so i'm not knowledgeable as to what they can do and what features there are.
My question is what capabilities does this have that i would want or need? In laymans terms, and how useful are these features really? Is this something that i want if i break down and finally get a cell phone?

Thanks

This would be like hunting hummingbirds with a howitzer.

This is more computer than phone. Think moderately powerful computer including keyboard all about the size of a deck of cards. It does all the windows applications like word, excel, powerpoint. People keep their contacts and calendars with them and syn it to their main computer. One of my friends with the Palm Treo has a program that has the dietary information of every food item in every chain restuarant. Thinking of getting the cheeseburger at Chili's--find out how many calories, grams of fat, etc. There are a lot of speciality programs for these devices. Sharkman had a thread on that not long ago which was on the off topic forum.

I remember you comment about not liking a digital camera that was too small because you have big mechanic hands. I on the other hand was thrilled to find my tiny camera which I keep in a zipper pocket of my purse. This is the same kind of deal--it is technology in a small package. (Of course the Q has a camera in it like most phones today and like most camera phones the resolution is not suitable.)

A lot of the people who I know that are in to these devices are so they can get their email no matter where they are. The attorneys I know all answer their email while they are in court or meetings. My reason for wanting it is the internet access--any time, any where.

The phone is almost an after thought on these category of devices. Some of my friends who have the Treo say the phone sucks as a cell phone. Since my razberry hasn't arrived yet, I can't report on how convenient it is as a phone. I am thinking that because I got the blue tooth head set it will be convenient. I will program it for voice commands. The phone will stay in my purse and the head set on my ear while I drive.

This is a device for people who want to have the computing capablities with them in a small package. For someone who works in the same location, doesn't go to meetings, and has no desire have internet access from anywhere, there is no point.

Most cell phone plans give you a free phone just for signing up. If you are going to get a cell phone, rather than the starting with what phone to get, you should start with what carrier. Talk to your customers about who they have and what are they happy with and what do they not like. I love Verizon because there are no dead spots in the area I travel most. Some years back I was ready to kill Sprint because they had a dead spot in the middle of I-5 in Del Mar. That is the center of civilization and there was not excuse for it. And it was the place I always got stuck if there was a traffic jam.

If you are just worried about a break down, all cell phones retain the 911 capability even if you are not signed up for service with a carrier. The main feature that is nice with cell phones is being able to connect with people you are meeting. My husband and I were meeting in the food court at the Phoenician in vegas and even though we were about 100 feet apart, we couldn't find each other. We talked on our cells along the lines of I am by___ and I am by ____ until we found each other. Or meeting my husband at the movies except we ended up at the wrong theatre. He was able to call me and say it is not at flower hill, it is at del mar highlands so we could change our rendevous point. Or to be able to call and say I am stuck in traffic and am going to be 15 minutes late. Or today on the way home I called hubby and asked if he wanted me to pick anything up for him since he is sick. Stuff like that is what makes having cell phones worthwhile.

After you pick a carrier just go see which ones they will give you for free and pick the one that feels best in your hand and that you can easily press the buttons.

Alan_525i
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
As an almost-a-real-lawyer, I see wireless connectivity (Treos, Blackberrys and the like) as a necessary evil. It will give me the ability to not be tied to a computer at all times but will also mean that people can reach me whenever they want regardless of what I'm doing. Some emails no matter how inconvenient have information you just can't ignore. Oh well, I have one more year of freedom until I get that company issued Treo.

I really really want a GSM Moto Q though!!!

Gayle
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
As an almost-a-real-lawyer, I see wireless connectivity (Treos, Blackberrys and the like) as a necessary evil. It will give me the ability to not be tied to a computer at all times but will also mean that people can reach me whenever they want regardless of what I'm doing. Some emails no matter how inconvenient have information you just can't ignore. Oh well, I have one more year of freedom until I get that company issued Treo.

I really really want a GSM Moto Q though!!!

So you will have to have the pre programmed footer that says

"This email is answered from my Treo, so please excuse the typos".

I think you are the second person who said they wanted GSM. I don't know the advantage. Please explain.

winfred
06-01-2006, 07:27 PM
somewhat amusing and somewhat related (http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&sort=funnymtd&head=1&thread_id=51302)

Robin-535im
06-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Oh yes, of course. Crystal clear now.

:)

califblue
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Like I said before, " If The Phone Doesn't Ring It's Me";)

Gayle
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
somewhat amusing and somewhat related (http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&sort=funnymtd&head=1&thread_id=51302)

Wonder if this was from a blackberry?

Rewarding Away Message (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22443)

Hmm--I deal with all my work email instantly and barely read my home email. Wonder what kind of footer I should put on the Q? How about "Busy at bimmer.info"

Gayle
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Like I said before, " If The Phone Doesn't Ring It's Me";)

I think there is therapy for that.

sKilled
06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Gayle prooves that the saying "boys and their toys" just doesn't quite hit the nail on the head.

Gayle
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Gayle prooves that the saying "boys and their toys" just doesn't quite hit the nail on the head.

It has been a good toy week. Last night I bought a webcam. I just spent this evening installing it and skype. This is after getting my computer back from repair for sound card issues and going through the aggravation of trying to get my wireless keyboard and mouse working again (always a PITA).

All of this reminds me of the best sticker I have ever seen in a car window.

"Bad ass girls have bad ass boys to take care of their bad ass toys." Well I have 2 of the 3, but I have to take care of my own toys. :( Sigh.

Bill R.
06-02-2006, 07:27 AM
a need for. I do want contacts, calendars etc but have no need for powerpoint or excel on a phone. If i do actually go get one , verizon had already been predetermined to be the only one worth having here. Virtually all my customers agree on this. Too many dropouts on the others here. And the phone of choice amongst them for my needs is the motorola e815 i'm told because of the slightly larger physical size , the bigger battery, net features etc etc and the sound quality,which with my hearing is a big issue. I also do want blue tooth since thats the only way i'm going to answer the phone if i'm working on a car. Thanks for the info.
Also on the camera i was referring to the size of the buttons and the thinness of the cameras , some of them i looked at were only around 1/4 inch thick, like holding a credit card. The physical size that i ended up buying for myself was fairly small to carry around in my pocket all the time. And i did go look at the sd550 before buying this casio instead. Your review convinced me to check it out but i still ended up liking the images and function of the casio better.

(I remember you comment about not liking a digital camera that was too small because you have big mechanic hands. I on the other hand was thrilled to find my tiny camera which I keep in a zipper pocket of my purse. This is the same kind of deal--it is technology in a small package. (Of course the Q has a camera in it like most phones today and like most camera phones the resolution is not suitable.)

After you pick a carrier just go see which ones they will give you for free and pick the one that feels best in your hand and that you can easily press the buttons.[/quote]

632 Regal
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.flameia.com/dtop/photos/raspberry-1600.jpg

Gayle
06-02-2006, 01:19 PM
a need for. And the phone of choice amongst them for my needs is the motorola e815 i'm told because of the slightly larger physical size , the bigger battery, net features etc etc and the sound quality,which with my hearing is a big issue.

Here is the review for that phone

Motorla e815 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_E815/4505-6454_7-31280474.html?tag=pdtl-list)

all the reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html)

Morgenster
06-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Congrats with the new toy!
I'm not so fond of complex gizmos myself unless they truly simplify life for me, but I can imagine the buzz of getting that brand new piece of technology to be joyful.

bulldog_shotgun
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
this thing is awesome.
and it fits perfectly in the little notch in the center console.
what do you think of yours gayle??
it has more tricks then a whole troup of circus midgets.
first thing friday heading to a party and got lost whip out the q and a little mapquest boom i'm on the right track again.
def. a keeper.
if your on the fence about buying one.
my vote is 5 stars.

uscharalph
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM

More thoughts in response to Russell's bleeding edge point. I have realized I rely on the internet for everything and it is a major inconvenience when it is not available. My computer is in the shop right now and using my husband's to post this feels like it puts a strain in the relationship.

Last weekend drove my "24/7 need for the internet" home.

(1) Made an overnight drive from San Diego to San Francisco. Roll into Berkeley at 5 am looking for a Starbucks. Couldn't find one! No one on the street to ask. couldn't find anyone on the street to ask. Couldn't figure out which way was west to head back to the interstate. Internet access would have solved those problems.

(2) An hour later--sitting at Denny's eating breakfast. Hubby and I have this very interesting conversation about the subtle differences in meaning between the words "maverick" and "rogue". dictionary.com would have been so helpful.

(3) Two hours later--Discussing a relatives interest in buying a 95 Mercedes turbo diesel wagon and doing bio diesel (oh those bay area environmentalists). He was looking it up on ebay on a slow access computer, and impatient me wanted to check auto trader. If I could have pulled a Q out of my purse the same way I do my digital camera, I would not have experienced the frustration of trying to share a slow computer with a clueless person.

(4) Shopping at Sur la Table--thought about buying a rachlette. Wondered if I could get it cheaper on ebay. Had to go back to the home based computer to find out.

I am at the point I have to have internet access 24/7. One reason I am usually not an early adopter is that the normal pattern is twice a much for half the price within a year. The Q is already there in comparison to the Treo on that front.
I can do all that on my LG VX9800 (The V)

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
phone

Blue tooth (that's what got me started)

GPS

MP3 (volume control=right nipple)

Palm

night vision

and a qwerty key board on my forearm

Gayle
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
this thing is awesome.
and it fits perfectly in the little notch in the center console.
what do you think of yours gayle??
it has more tricks then a whole troup of circus midgets.
first thing friday heading to a party and got lost whip out the q and a little mapquest boom i'm on the right track again.
def. a keeper.
if your on the fence about buying one.
my vote is 5 stars.

I really really like it. I just got mine a couple of days before going to Chicago so I barely have it set up. I have it sync'd with my work calander and contacts and have some of my favorite web addresses entered, but I haven't had time to fool with it as much as I would like.

I think the screen is great. So far the battery capacity seems good. Today I upped the setting for how long it waits before having the screen go dark, so we will see what that does to the battery life.

One of my tech savy friends from work was blown away by how fast it loaded the thread about Chicago that had 100+ pictures. I haven't had time to sync the blue tooth yet and one of my other work friends is just begging me to let him do it cause he wants to play with it. He has a razr and now has serious razberry lust.

I can see how for my line of work, the electronic calander is going to be huge. When I am networking with attorneys, when we agree to "do lunch" we can arrange it on the spot and I won't have to go through the frustration of trying to get them to call me back (attorneys are notoriously bad about being unavailable and not returning calls).

Please tell me about any cool programs you get for yours.