05-31-2006, 06:54 AM
got a couple of questions:
First of all i have "210" in the options field and the list says 3 things :
210: DSC 3
210:Anti-Blocker system(1994)
210:ABS(E36/3,E36/5 (1995)
What should i make out of it?

Second one:
226:Sport suspention setting. Well, it looks lower than stock but i guessed that's just the springs sagging over time. What exactly is diffrent than stock and how do i know if it still is?

And how can i find the production week without going to the dealer?

thanks in advance

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 07:09 AM
226: standard ride height but (slightly!) stiffer springs, different Toe & camber angles on front tyres. Would have sagged by around 1" by now (mine had)

210: ABS - ABS is fitted factory standard, yours has the provision for traction control ($1500 aud - ABS ecu swap plus a switch)

If you PM me the last 7 digits of your vin number I can decode it for you at work and pm the info back to you (I'm a BMW parts interpreter at a dealer)

Ross

Bleeding_Knuckles
05-31-2006, 07:09 AM
production date should be on the plate in the drivers door

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 07:15 AM
He want to know the production week, the plate gives you month year only.

German site (at work) will give full date: day/month/year.

Ross
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Ross,
Would you be able to provide me the proper ride height for my car? It seems high in front or low in back. It's a "95 525it GD25814.
Ross

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
See what i can find for you!

Also don't be fooled by the different wheel arch heights front to rear (fronts are higher - look at the link in my Signature - mine sits on factory reset springs, but front looks high (it isn't!))

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Ross, Would you be able to provide me the proper ride height for my car? It seems high in front or low in back. It's a "95 525it GD25814. RossIn my experience the springs do not sag so much as the shocks de-pressurise. Even after 225,000 km my car had the oringinal shocks. It sat very low. The shocks still worked 98% of the time, but not when the going got really rough... when I changed them, the car shot up by 3" front and back. Sashs/Boge shocks are not liks the crappy ones they fit to other cars, they still work right to the bitter end.... :) nick

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 07:28 AM
My 535i had sagged 23 mm rear 21 mm in front and that was with new shocks (Boge).

Fixed now with reset springs.

Genphreak: Shocks don't support the cars weight the springs do, the gas just stops the oil inside the shock from foaming.

Ross
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
PO had replaced fronts and not rear. I thought the shocks were to dampen and not carry load. Given what you say and my car's condition I guess it's not so here. I guess I'll do the rears. It just seems too high in front.

Ross
05-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Yours looks less nose up. As soon as my dinosaur ass figures out how I'll post a picture.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Look at the body side mouldings (side rubber strips)...... as dead level and parallel to the ground as they should be!

look along the panel crease 2/3 the way up the body, notice anything? Yep those wheel arches in the back are actually 3" lower than the fronts weird huh?

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:53 AM
PO had replaced fronts and not rear. I thought the shocks were to dampen and not carry load. Given what you say and my car's condition I guess it's not so here. I guess I'll do the rears. It just seems too high in front.Yep classic PO approach; Balk at the price, so only do the fronts and then the car spends its time driving like a land-yacht until someone gets over the cost and does the rears ones... shocks wear in 4s, not pairs.

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
My 535i had sagged 23 mm rear 21 mm in front and that was with new shocks (Boge). Fixed now with reset springs. Genphreak: Shocks don't support the cars weight the springs do, the gas just stops the oil inside the shock from foaming.Yes that's what I thought until the experience taught me otherwise on these. My E28 was the same, low and sleek with dead shocks on stock suspension. New Boges and she was riding high. The e34 was no different, I am talking 2.5" to 3" of height gained on install...
a small settling after that but only a 1/4" or so. Its interesting you had a different experience. Is it possible your car had aftermarket, stock sport or M-tech springs?

genphreak
05-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Look at the body side mouldings (side rubber strips)...... as dead level and parallel to the ground as they should be!

look along the panel crease 2/3 the way up the body, notice anything? Yep those wheel arches in the back are actually 3" lower than the fronts weird huh? I am not sure I know what you are suggesting. Is that with the new springs? Mine looked exactly like that with the original 17 year old ones and new BOGE Automatics (stock spec, but not the exact part as it is a supplemented one).

I go off the height to the sill, not the tyre-guard gaps.

Perhaps the notorious (but cheap) rear shock mounts can cause some sag. However BMWs are often squat at the rear- as is often a racecar, to reduce oversteer.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Mine has the "sport suspension setting" from the factory. Springs are factory BMW, rear shocks are factory BMW, fronts are Boge (no BMW stock available at the time and I'm impatient!)

Maybe your springs took a little time to re-settle after being unloaded for the shock swap?

Gas shocks only give about 2 kg's of 'lift' effort through their gas charge when new, it's not enough to effect the ride height much at all.

I'd put my money on the springs 'relaxing' once the load was taken off them.

Rossco

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
I am not sure I know what you are suggesting. Is that with the new springs? Mine looked exactly like that with the original 17 year old ones and new BOGE Automatics (stock spec, but not the exact part as it is a supplemented one).

I go off the height to the sill, not the tyre-guard gaps.

What I mean is that the wheel arches themselves are different front to rear.

From the lower sill to the apex of the wheel arch the rear arches are 3" lower than the front arches.
This design gives the visual impression that the car is dragging it's bum when it is actually level.

Rossco

Ross
05-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Yea,this guy spent a ton of dough by "diagnosing" problems himself and then buying parts on ebay to be installed by whoever was cheapest.Midas F'd him out of plenty! Good news,I bought it cheap while he was disgusted.Most problems now sorted out without much difficulty. The rear isn't self leveling so why would anyone not change the rears for cost? Oh well I'm constantly amazed by how some justify things. A friend's son has invested thousands for stereo equipment for a failing old car he has. Now that he's broke and so is the car guess who wants a deal from me to fix it?

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
The pic below shows what I mean

Ross
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
The side moulding looks pretty straight. I'll probably do the rears anyhow as I was able to pay last months parts bill. Besides I have this perverse tendency to make everything right then tire of it and sell to the next guy.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Yea,this guy spent a ton of dough by "diagnosing" problems himself and then buying parts on ebay to be installed by whoever was cheapest.Midas F'd him out of plenty! Good news,I bought it cheap while he was disgusted.Most problems now sorted out without much difficulty. The rear isn't self leveling so why would anyone not change the rears for cost? Oh well I'm constantly amazed by how some justify things. A friend's son has invested thousands for stereo equipment for a failing old car he has. Now that he's broke and so is the car guess who wants a deal from me to fix it?

Where in Aus are you?

Ross
05-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I hope it looks less droopy after I do the rears.

Ross
05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Chicago,Illinois USA, mate. Understand we've sent our winter your way, please don't feel obliged to return it.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Chicago,Illinois USA, mate. Understand we've sent our winter your way, please don't feel obliged to return it.

We have 'Midas' here too...... LOL (they get a bum wrap here "Midas well have done it myself!!")

I hate the cold weather!!!

skr
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
mine sits lower all round . it's perfectly level but the rears are tucking a little under the fender.
Ausmpower- thanks for the info. i sent u a pm with my vin.

genphreak
05-31-2006, 08:55 PM
I hope it looks less droopy after I do the rears.Post a pic when you do, I'd like to know if I am (somehow) wrong after all this!

Are you going to get the OE fitment Sashs (Boge) shocks? They are awesome and give an execllent ride. Some good things have been said about the KYBs recently, but my money is always on the Sashs. Sports shocks are only for sports springs... but make sure you replace the upper mounts when you have them done/do them (but you need a spring compressor and have to remove teh rear seat)- they come out with the mounts attached so it does not cost extra to swap them with the shocks at a shop, and the old mounts will be dead. They cost something like $25US each- bmaparts.com has the latest updated versions. :) Nick