PDA

View Full Version : headgasket problem?(need help)

kosty99pjd
05-31-2006, 05:05 AM
Hello! I have a bmw 520.i 24V E34 and I think(not sure) I have problem with headgasket. I changed water pump, thermostat, cleaned the raditor, change coolant but engine overheats(sometimes). The temperature gauge will get into the middle, and stay there for few minutes and then move to the red zone but never touch it. I don't have visible warings such as:
-Coolant in oil or viceversa
-Mysterious loss of coolants without traces
-Thick white smoke coming out of the tail pipe
So, what can be?

Morgenster
05-31-2006, 05:21 AM
Hello! I have a bmw 520.i 24V E34 and I think(not sure) I have problem with headgasket. I changed water pump, thermostat, cleaned the raditor, change coolant but engine overheats(sometimes). The temperature gauge will get into the middle, and stay there for few minutes and then move to the red zone but never touch it. I don't have visible warings such as:
-Coolant in oil or viceversa
-Mysterious loss of coolants without traces
-Thick white smoke coming out of the tail pipe
So, what can be?

Well I'm no cooling system guru, but could you tell us some more. Like: does it overheat when cruising or in idle when stopped? Did your symptoms come before or after the changes you made? Etc.
If it redlined before those changes and you did that well: could be fan clutch.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Probably the fan clutch but:

Was the water pump still in one piece when you removed it?

Have you bled the cooling system properly?

Have you used the BMw coolant (blue) you should have!!)) ?

hth
Ross

632 Regal
05-31-2006, 05:45 AM
follow the bleeding procedure, do the aux fans come on when it is hot? Should at least come on when the AC is on.

kosty99pjd
05-31-2006, 06:22 AM
I have the symtom before my change(so first I change my thermosta, then water pomp, then cleaned raditor but nothing).
The temperature gauge will get in red zone in idle when stoped. When I run at speed >30-40km/h The temperature gauge goes and stay to the midle.

kosty99pjd
05-31-2006, 06:22 AM
I have no AC on my car.

Morgenster
05-31-2006, 06:33 AM
I have the symtom before my change(so first I change my thermosta, then water pomp, then cleaned raditor but nothing).
The temperature gauge will get in red zone in idle when stoped. When I run at speed >30-40km/h The temperature gauge goes and stay to the midle.

Do a quick search on this forum and you'll find some threads about similar cases + some very handy diagnostic write-ups on the cooling system and the fan clutch. Once you can eliminate some possible causes and narrow things down the fix is easy.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 06:59 AM
If it heats up at idle but cools down once your moving your fan clutch is buggered and needs to be replaced.

joshua43214
05-31-2006, 07:46 AM

This is classic symptom of a bad fan clutch.

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:50 AM
I have no AC on my car.But the fan is still there; is it working when the car heats up? If unsure test it...

kosty99pjd
05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Next days I'll change the fan clutch and I''l tell the results

kosty99pjd
05-31-2006, 09:26 AM
But the fan is still there; is it working when the car heats up? If unsure test it...
I bought my E34 six years ago and it have 1 fan(fan clutch).car worked good(no overheat) 6 years with one fan.

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I bought my E34 six years ago and it have 1 fan(fan clutch).car worked good(no overheat) 6 years with one fan.OK, sorry dude, my mistake. I thought they all had one thermo fan in front of the radiator- for additional airflow on occasions that the engine gets really hot (in addition to the standard viscous-clutch fan behind it). Good luck! :) Nick

kosty99pjd
06-04-2006, 03:10 AM
This is classic symptom of a bad fan clutch.
I changed the fan clutch but the temperature gauge is before the midle.

joshua43214
06-04-2006, 05:40 AM

The car should maintain a constant temp on the gauge in the middle, Did the new clutch stop it from going up higher? If the car is now running cooler, than normal, probably you put in a cooler T-stat.

kosty99pjd
06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Sorry. I wrote wrongly. I change the fan clutch but the temperature gauge is after the midle again.