PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

sirius_GTO
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
so...

I have a 1995 BMW 525i... with 230,000 miles. Runs absolutely wonderful. My question is...

what should I do? Sell my car and by a 1998-2001 honda accord? Or keep it...

If I keep it, I am going to have to invest money into it to have the air intake fixed, the suspension (shimmy problem), and air condition fixed.

Is it really worth to put money into the car to fix it and make it look new? I'm so afraid of fixing something to have to fix another problem...

230,000 miles. How far is this engine going to last? As far as I know, it is almost 5K to rebuilt an engine.

I need some help guys...

ericcamaro
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
your asking us if we think you should sell your BMW for a Honda?? What do you think. Your Bimmers good for at least another 60K.. At least. Drive it into the ground. then buy another one. BTW you can get a low milage M50 off ebay for under 1k, not new but new enough to last a couple hundred thousand miles. I trust youll make the right decision.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
The Honda will get stolen by an Asian ricer gang for parts.

The BMW will pass silently through the chaos like sauerkraut through a goose.

GoldenOne
05-30-2006, 11:31 PM
i think you should keep it, even though it may run like a champ, it still has 230k miles on it, IMO no individual buyer would buy the car because of the high mileage and the stealer wouldnt give you as much as you want for a trade in. The money for that Honda - whatever money you get for the 5er = the money to fix a/c, intake, etc...

KEEP THE BIMMER!

BillionPa
05-31-2006, 12:09 AM
that has the VANOS engine right?

Rustam
05-31-2006, 12:20 AM
so...

I have a 1995 BMW 525i... with 230,000 miles. Runs absolutely wonderful. My question is...

what should I do? Sell my car and by a 1998-2001 honda accord? Or keep it...

If I keep it, I am going to have to invest money into it to have the air intake fixed, the suspension (shimmy problem), and air condition fixed.

Is it really worth to put money into the car to fix it and make it look new? I'm so afraid of fixing something to have to fix another problem...

230,000 miles. How far is this engine going to last? As far as I know, it is almost 5K to rebuilt an engine.

I need some help guys...

If the car runs well - put the money for honda aside and keep slowly fixing the problems. The shimmy and air conditioning repairs surely would take only a fraction of total money to fix. Honda will be a different experience - it's a front wheel drive car. Have you driven one? Did you like it? I have 2002 Nissan Centra - front wheel drive car. It runs nicely, but the experience is incomparable to driving my bmw.
I heard on a radio a comment of a mechanic - the cheapest car you can afford is the one you already have. And it seems those repairs are comparably cheaper.

The engine can probably last another 60-70Kmiles. Keep the car till it breaks and use the time to save money for next one.