PDA

View Full Version : My E34 died tonight... :(

DanDombrowski
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I wish I could say that my trusty girl gave her life for me in some valiant display of bravery, but I can't :(

I was pulling out of the driveway after going to my second job (helping little old ladies with wireless networking), did my one-two shift, and starting accellerating. Went to shift to third, and the shiftknob starting shaking like I was trying to shift without the clutch. Checked to make sure I didn't loose clutch pressure by pumping the clutch, it was fine. I was definitely stuck in gear. I stopped the car, killed the engine, and tried to get it out of gear. No go. Tried pushing pretty hard, still no go.

I started the car again and tried to move it gingerly up to speed (I was still in second gear). While accellerating, I hit the clutch and slammed the gear shifter out of gear. 1, 3, 4, and 5 gears still work fine, but I think the 1-2 synchro is shot. When I try to put it into second gear, I get a grinding noise and when it slips into gear, the shift knob wobbles alot.

I'm really not in the mood to put in a used transmission. I might get that done on the side and sell the car after its fixed, or I may just sell it as is. The rest of the car is in nice shape, it definitely won't go to waste, its just that I was planning on getting a new car soon anyway. If I don't fix it, someone else will.

So, I'm located in south florida. Its a black 93 with tan leather, 167,000 miles. Engine has been running fine, no probs. AC works great too. Leather seats are a little worn, but no rips. Tires are pretty new. I even have a limited slip differential in the garage that never got to go in.

I don't think I'm going to be parting it out. I don't have the time or garage space to be doing that. I'd just like for her to move on to a good home and I'll go pick up something new. I have a few E46 3 series in mind.

Its been fun all, I enjoyed bieng a part of this board. I'll post its progress and let people know whats up.

DanDombrowski
05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, has new brakes in the front, and new pads for the rear (never put them in). New dogbones, relatively new (<40k) control arms (upper and lower), 4 new swaybar endlinks. New valve cover gasket, painted valve cover. Sony CD headunit, wired for trunk speakers. New shiftknob (matches wood). New floormats from Bavauto, black with red lettering. New clutch at 120k. New projector foglights. Cant think of anything else for now, will post as I remember

SchnellE34
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm very, very sorry to hear that Dan. You will be missed. Although, I'm sure you'll be back. ;)

E34 530
05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
That sucks dude. If you are correct and it is the synchros, you either have to face a full trans. rebuild or buy a used unit- something you don't feel like doing. The car sounds like it's in good shape though. Best of luck w/ the sale.

DanDombrowski
05-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks man. Hopefully I can get something decent for it to help with the downpayment.

Jeff N.
05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Before writing it off, check the rear tranny mounts and the shifter arm linkage (top and bottom).

Something simple may have broken jamming the linkage.

632 Regal
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
can I have the drivers side mirror if its mint? (dude dont leave us) Maybe the gas cap too.. I dont know im in shock.

Thanks man. Hopefully I can get something decent for it to help with the downpayment.

Derek A.
05-31-2006, 03:41 AM
If a guibo lets go - it can also affect your ability to shift.

I would scope it out before writing the car off.

DanDombrowski
05-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks Jeff,

I thought of that at first, but driving it in this morning to work, it seems alot like the synchro. If I double clutch and rev match, it goes into gear fine, and accellerates fine. 1, 3, 4, and 5 gears feel no different at all, so its not a driveline problem.

Thanks for the hints guys.

DanDombrowski
05-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Well, I don't think I'm parting it out, but if I sell it to someone who does, you'll be first on the list.

ryan roopnarine
05-31-2006, 08:08 AM
so sorry to hear that. i guess that's like me changing my transmission fluid at each oil change--i do it with the expectation that the tranny will last 300k if i do it, but on the other hand, if the tranny, out of the blue, says that it wants to puke tomorrow, there's nothing i can do about it. just like a phantom spun bearing. i was going to suggest that you attempt to rev-match to rule out the syncronizer, but you've done that already.

thanks for your help when my alternator died, and your invitations to go out to the track may your next purchase not be a tur@, and if it is a turd, may it make itself known early so you can ditch it in a timely manner.

Qube
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
What would be the associated cost to rebuild or drop in another tranny?

SchnellE34
05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
What would be the associated cost to rebuild or drop in another tranny?

For my '89 535 I had a while back, I had it rebuilt by the dealer for about $1500. I did pay it and the tranny had never ran better.

fkong777
05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
M30 5-spd is pretty rare.. Even a used one will cost you $900.

535 only have about 5% of them are equipped with 5-spd.

SchnellE34
05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
yeah mine was an auto