PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm a noob

525i!
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm a noob to the bimmer scene, was previously in the japan scene eek!

So I picked up a 89 525i from a friend for a cool 500 the body is perfect the interior needs cleaned at best but it does have minor electrical problems and the check engin light is on. I pulled the code for and it gave me a 1264 code. I read that it is a EGO heater code. well wtf is a EGO heater? also does anyone know a possible reason why I would be getting no power to the ac control panel? thanks for your help.

rob101
05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
well wtf is a EGO heater?
its a device that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside;)

525i!
05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
uhh.....ok.....anyone else with something constructive to say?

SchnellE34
05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
a quick search on the forum brought up this for EGO...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14067&highlight=EGO+heater

No power to the climate control panel... hmmm, check fuses pull the panel out and check for faulty cabling. What do you mean by not working? Does the blower motor not turn on? No lights? Can't open vents? more specification please...

525i!
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=SchnellE34]a quick search on the forum brought up this for EGO...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14067&highlight=EGO+heater

No power to the climate control panel... hmmm, check fuses pull the panel out and check for faulty cabling. What do you mean by not working? Does the blower motor not turn on? No lights? Can't open vents? more specification please...[/QUOTE

it just has no power to it, dosent light up, no blower, dosent kick on the ac comp. nothing. I checked the fuse no power to it either

BillionPa
05-31-2006, 12:30 AM
EGO heater code is probably the O2 sensors or the relay that controls them.

replace them both

there is a control unit behind the center console for the climate control system, its probably dead.

joshua43214
05-31-2006, 07:39 AM
EGO=Exhaust Gas Oxagine sensor. The "heater" is the preheat circuit for the sensor. The O2 sensor will heat up slowly from the exhaust gas, the heater circuit makes it heat up faster so that the computor can take active control of the mixture sooner.

THe code simply means there is a problem somewhere in the circuit, not that the O2 sensor is bad. The fuse commonly blows. check the fuses. You should have 12 volts to 1 wire at the sensor. If you have 12v then either the sensor is bad or the ground. If no 12v, probably the relay is bad.

BTW the car will run just fine with a bad o2 heater, it will just take longer to go ito closed loop. But the check engine light will be stuck on, so you will have no idea if another problem occurs, so it needs to be fixed.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:02 AM
BTW the car will run just fine with a bad o2 heater, it will just take longer to go ito closed loop. But the check engine light will be stuck on, so you will have no idea if another problem occurs, so it needs to be fixed.

You mean come out of closed loop don't you Josh?

Closed loop operation takes place before the O2 sensor heats up and comes on line.

It only takes a couple of minutes for the O2 sensor to come online when the heating element goes...... My E28 has had that code for 2 years but my in dash AFR meter is alive with in 2-3 minutes of a cold start in the morning.

Ross

joshua43214
05-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Open loop is when the ECU runs off of preset values while the engine is warming up.

Closed loop is when the ECU takes active control of engine management after the car is warm.

A bad O2 heater will delay the car entering closed loop operation since it runs in open loop until the O2 sensor begins to respond to the exhaust.

Ausmpower
05-31-2006, 08:46 AM
You're right Microtech had it wrong!! LOL!!

Reading My Wolf 3d info tells it how it is... HAHAHA!!!!

Rossco