PDA

View Full Version : Mounted the intercooler!

Jon K
05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Well measuring and removing AC, Aux fan, air horns, etc payed off! The 16x13x3" intercooler I purchased fits like a charm. I realize I could probably have gone about 2" bigger across but I didn't want to risk messing with the high beams and the PS cooler bar. I also like the fact that with the bumper back on and all, the end tanks stick out of the kidney grill but are mostly shadowed. Keeps the "hey look im turbo'd" aspect pretty low. For the air in and out, I will be using two 2.5" silicone 90 degree bends and dremeling holes thru that lower plastic piece in front of the rad. Works freaking perfect!

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/mount2.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/mount3.jpg

Oh yeah - I used 3/16" flat steel bar. What a bitch to bend! It's a "little" overkill for a 12lb intercooler, but the thing does not BUDGE. I wanted to make sure that I never experience an issue of something rubbing. I had a supercharger silicone hose rub thru a brakeline... never again. The cooler is actually in there more securely than the radiator.

GoldenOne
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
wow, lookin great as usual jon!

E34 530
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Jon, is the aux. fan only there for the ac?? Is it alright o remove the aux fan w/out fear of the engine overheating?? Looks great as usual, once again, I want another ride ;) . Is the car just N/A now, just the M50?

Jon K
05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Car is NA right now but manifold and wastegate are in the mail and turbo will be ordered this next week.

I am not positive, I think the aux fan automatically comes on with A/C but will also come on at certain coolant temps. I monitor my coolant temps to the .1 degree in my standalone ECU and am not concerned about over heating.

Also worth mentioning, even though the intercooler is "blocking" radiator.. temps never went above half way on my city drive today

E34 530
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Car is NA right now but manifold and wastegate are in the mail and turbo will be ordered this next week.

I am not positive, I think the aux fan automatically comes on with A/C but will also come on at certain coolant temps. I monitor my coolant temps to the .1 degree in my standalone ECU and am not concerned about over heating.

Also worth mentioning, even though the intercooler is "blocking" radiator.. temps never went above half way on my city drive today

Yeah, the aux fan automatically comes on whenever the ac is turned on

BigKriss
05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Looks good Jon.

Alan_525i
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
You can ditch the main fan as long as you run a cooler T-stat and some Redline Water Wetter, I believe. A lot of the E36 guys run this mod. I would assume you could ditch the aux fan instead and have similar results. Of course you wouldn't want to ditch both fans...

EDIT: Why this is relevant, I have no idea... But we were talking about fans.

Jon K
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I feel comfortable ditching the aux fan and no t-stat upgrade though I think I will drop T-stat a few degrees just because the MAT and CLT temps are going to go up once I start boosting this bitch again. But yeah, like alan said, delete one or the other, but not both unless its a track car and will not experience traffic lights. If it were me, i'd keep the mechanical fan (no reason not to) and ditch aux fan. Turn the AC off when idling, and you won't have any issue. But most of the E34 community wants the AC so this is kind of moot.

M5Greg
05-31-2006, 10:24 PM
That looks good. I'll keep my eye on your projects. I've just bought an Alpina B10 Biturbo and I would like to cool the intake air for more POWER.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/M5Greg/alpb10-1.jpg

Alan_525i
06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I feel comfortable ditching the aux fan and no t-stat upgrade though I think I will drop T-stat a few degrees just because the MAT and CLT temps are going to go up once I start boosting this bitch again. But yeah, like alan said, delete one or the other, but not both unless its a track car and will not experience traffic lights. If it were me, i'd keep the mechanical fan (no reason not to) and ditch aux fan. Turn the AC off when idling, and you won't have any issue. But most of the E34 community wants the AC so this is kind of moot.

Besides, if you really want to loose the main fan to reduce drag on the engine, you can always replace it with an electric one.

M20Turbo
06-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Jon, nice job on the intercooler as well as the rest of the car.

PageRussell
06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Are you boosted? If so, how did you like the megasquirt? I am boosted at 9 ilbs with a 535i, and need a good stand alone, what do you recommend?

Jon K
06-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I was boosted until s/c ate the big one - now I will be boosted again very shortly. I recommend MegaSquirt for M30 application - it is a full standalone. If you are interested I build them - I am about to ship another members unit out tomorrow.

sKilled
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Nice job there - btw love the sig. I do believe e34.net has a nice writeup on the electric fan replacement. Once I get some money again I will fix the damage I did and probably go for the electric fan option myself too - once it stops raining outside. I hate the winter here - too cold and wet, but not cold enough for snow :(