PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil cooler w/ auto radiator?

Robin-535im
05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Ed's post got me thinking.

E32 engine oil coolers are very hard to find. Anyone ever take a radiator from an automatic and drop it in a 5-speed, then use the "transmission cooler" part of the radiator for engine oil cooling?

Rustam
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM

E32 engine oil coolers are very hard to find. Anyone ever take a radiator from an automatic and drop it in a 5-speed, then use the "transmission cooler" part of the radiator for engine oil cooling?

Are not engine oil coolers generic in design?

ryan roopnarine
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM

even though i own an automatic, i've thought about this too. the blowoff pressure for the radiator cap is, what 28lb max? and the oil pressure in even a stone age american 4 cyl or 60deg 6 cylinder gets up to 60lb at some point. put the idea to rest when i mistakenly thought these two numbers meant something to each other. autotrans ATF pressure and engine oil pressure should be commensurate, right?

632 Regal
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
commensurate??? WTF. the pressure between the ATF and OIL pressure that goes through the radiator shouldnt make any difference. if the exchanger bursts then its a mess but the rad should be able to tolerate either equilly.

Robin-535im
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Are not engine oil coolers generic in design?

You can get generic ones, but there is a factory 735/535 oil cooler that mounts under the radiator. Martin has one.

My rad does indeed have the auto tranny cooler, I think I might just try it out. Probably want to get a spare oil cannister and work with that off-line.

Good point about the pressure. Anyone know what pressure the trans cooler can take? Gale was talking about an external microfilter for the oil to catch the extra crud the main filter lets through.... Wonder if I'll need an external oil pump?