PDA

View Full Version : a/c drier o-rings????

Ross
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Just began replacement of drier on long dead a/c of recently aquired '95 525it and find no evidence of any seals at connections. Do any of you have experience with this? I cannot believe that this won't leak like crazy. The part replaced is original for sure. It's currently being evacuated so I need a quick answer PLEASE. The humidity here is high today and I don't wish to ruin the new drier.

joshua43214
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
there are o-rings. look in the hole that the pipe came out of, sometimes they get stuck in there.

I assume you are replacing them? if you cant find them, just head over to the parts store and buy several of near the right size by eyeballing them. One of them will fit.

Ross
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I swear there aren't any! The system was empty but I was able to pull a vaccuum 29+". It wouldn't hold for more than a few minutes though. I don't have a sniffer but used a stethescope to listen and couldn't detact any leak at that joint before changing it out. I put it all together anyway W/O any O-rings, no audible leak with vaccuum so I tried some gas. Still nothing audible with the stethescope so I added a little more gas. Soon a very audible leak became apparent at the condenser so I quit. I can only assume that someone else had it apart before and neglected to replace the O-rings.
Thanks for your reply. I've plenty of O-rings so hopefully the right size for when I open it up again. It's funny how sometimes I see something I know isn't right yet try to justify it.
I couldn't believe that the machined surface and the soft tube's face were to be relied on for the seal. A/C isn't my specialty so any help is welcome.
You don't happen to have a condenser laying around?