PDA

View Full Version : ::.. From Toronto to Chicago next week...

Qube
05-30-2006, 08:50 AM
While primarily posted for Jay535i, I'd like to find out what the most efficient route would be to get from Toronto to Chicago?

This is the route Google Maps says...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1661+Denison+St,+Unionville,+ON,+Canada +%4043.834685,-79.306447&daddr=121+Northwest+Point+Boulevard,+Elk+Grove+Vil lage,+Illinois&f=li&hl=en&dq=1661+denison+street,+markham&cid=&om=1

...and probably most mapping software will suggest.

...sorry for the image compression to get the image up :)

azale
05-30-2006, 09:15 AM
The Chicago people will know better but I think you can avoid tolls in and around the city and not add too much time to the trip.

Mapquest can filter for tolls.

Scott H
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
from the East, be prepared for major delays at the IL/IN border. I would definitely take I-90 (Chicago Skyway) to avoid getting close to the IL/IN border as the direction in Jason's link state. There really is no other way to avoid it......Be prepared for construction delays on I-90/I-94 when you get off the Skyway in the southside of Chicago. This delay pales in comparison to the pain you will experience if you try crossing the IL/IN border at I-80. Normally I-80 to I-294 is the ticket, but NOT now.

There is one big toll on the skyway and a couple more tolls on I-90 when you get out by OHare airport

The Chicago people will know better but I think you can avoid tolls in and around the city and not add too much time to the trip.

Mapquest can filter for tolls.

Jay 535i
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Yup, that's the route I'm taking, pending any ammendments made by the Garmin Streetpilot I've rented for the occasion.

On your map, as the route crosses the border, it seems to pass very close to China. I'll be sure to adorn the car in Mao stickers to easy my passing through that area. :)

My plan is still to leave Thursday night and drive in the dark, because I have no air conditioning. :( But my plans are flexible. Qube, let's keep talking as the date approaches. It would be fun to go as a group if our schedules permit.

Black 535i
05-30-2006, 10:58 AM
...p.m. me if you want clearer directions as there is a lot of construction here this summer. I live just north of the city in Evanston and you have to plan going south of Chicago. I head back to Toronto every 2-3 months the same way you are coming. Detroit is a bitch at any time. The downside is that going through Sarnia takes me longer to get to Timmies.

Jay 535i
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Ah, yes Detroit. We're bypassing it. There'll be plenty of Timmies on the 4-hour drive towards the border :)

For those that don't know, Timmies (Tim Hortons) is a Candian donut shop chain. :)

As I said, I've rented a GPS system for the occasion, since I hate reading maps and I hate getting lost. So I'm pretty confident we'll get there somehow. :)

:)

Ross
05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
The route you have takes you through the city of Chicago on the "Skyway", an expensive toll rd., the Dan Ryan Expwy. then west on the Eisenhower Expwy. All of these are usually congested. If however you are interested in Chicago's slums,take nearly any exit off these highways for a tour.

I am very familiar with the area of the meet as I lived in Elk Grove for many years.

The 80/94 at the Ind./Ill. border is sometimes a problem but is not as bad as some make it out to be. I've done it twice in the past month without long delays.

I strongly suggest the following route; use 80/94 instead of 90! Pick up 80/94 from 65 just south of Gary. 80/94 to 294north to 88west to 355north. Exit 355 at Higgins rd. east(rt. turn) go about two miles through the woods (where I believe the meet is) on Higgins to the first stop light Arlington Hts.Rd. Turn left(N)to NW Point. You can see the Sheraton easily.
Ther are a few tolls most are 80 cents and there are automted lanes that are faster through with exact or excess change. Watch out for I-Pass only lanes as you need a transponder for these.
Enjoy your trip. There really are elk in Elk Grove, just south of your hotel at the corner of Higgins & Arlington Hts. Rd.

Ross
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Jay,
Forget your gps, just watch the signs closely as the roads are all being F'd with right now and lane configuration don't always make sense. See my post for a good route.

Jay 535i
05-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks. I'll at least use the GPS to get me as far as Chicago's outskirts. Then I'll use your notes to help me out.

My tentative plan is to arrive in Chicago at around 3am, so congestion won't be an issue.

Ross
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Hope I've been some help. By the way if you are arriving in the wee hours watch for deer driving through those woods! I blasted Bambi there twenty years ago late one night.

632 Regal
05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Im heading out on Friday, AND printing these directions out! lol

from the East, be prepared for major delays at the IL/IN border. I would definitely take I-90 (Chicago Skyway) to avoid getting close to the IL/IN border as the direction in Jason's link state. There really is no other way to avoid it......Be prepared for construction delays on I-90/I-94 when you get off the Skyway in the southside of Chicago. This delay pales in comparison to the pain you will experience if you try crossing the IL/IN border at I-80. Normally I-80 to I-294 is the ticket, but NOT now.

There is one big toll on the skyway and a couple more tolls on I-90 when you get out by OHare airport

Scott H
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
They will be coming on thursday and friday and saturday which are terrible weekend times to be traveling through that corridor, especially as summer is in full swing and people that have weekend homes in MI and IN begin traveling back and forth. I drive I-57/I-94 in to work often (downtown) and find that the congestion through the Dan Ryan is nowhere near as bad as the reports make it out to be. The traffic there at least moves consistently instead of a lot of starting and stopping like the I-80/I-94 corridor. My in-laws have gone to our Michigan home each weekend for the past 6 weeks and are finding the traffic congestion increasingly difficult to bear. Also, if they pass through I-90/I-94 on their way through, they will pass the loop and at least get to see the city.

The 80/94 at the Ind./Ill. border is sometimes a problem but is not as bad as some make it out to be. I've done it twice in the past month without long delays.

Scott H
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Depending on the route, congestion could very well be an issue.

My tentative plan is to arrive in Chicago at around 3am, so congestion won't be an issue.