PDA

View Full Version : New A/C compressor: $1300 installed

Maki
05-30-2006, 07:45 AM
The compressor clutch on our 540i seized up last fall. Finally got an estimate from my local indy: $1300 to replace the compressor, about $10 less to replace just the clutch.

I was toying with the idea of pulling the clutch myself but clearly I'm not going to get around to it. Still, $1300 is a chunk of change -- can anyone opine as to whether that sounds like a fair price?

Thanks

Jon K
05-30-2006, 07:54 AM
WOW.

Well a '95 540 is R134a, so its not like that cost is the R12. Um, am new reman'd AC compressor should be like 1/3 of that cost and install is straight forward maybe like $150 - $200 in labor at an indy... rechargge on R134a I cannot attest to but it's relatively cheap. $1300 is a big boy bill. If you were getting one of your head gaskets replaced I'd expect $1300, but a AC compressor - not so sure.

MBXB
05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
My indy charges $700 for an entire AC refurb; compressor, dryer and R134.
Compressor by itself is about $150 reman; Dryers in the $40 area.
I posted a source for the compresssor a few weeks back.
PITA part is dealing with the vacuum and recharging. I hate to have to buy specialized tools that I'm going to use maybe once or twice in the service life of teh car.

SchnellE34
05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
I was quoted $200 less than that to replace the compressor and condensor and recharge. I think that might be a bit much ask for some details as to how they came up with that ridiculous number.

I am planning on DIY a/c fix, when I get a freakin chance...

Maki
05-30-2006, 08:59 AM
WOW.

Well a '95 540 is R134a, so its not like that cost is the R12. Um, am new reman'd AC compressor should be like 1/3 of that cost and install is straight forward maybe like $150 - $200 in labor at an indy... rechargge on R134a I cannot attest to but it's relatively cheap. $1300 is a big boy bill. If you were getting one of your head gaskets replaced I'd expect $1300, but a AC compressor - not so sure.

You're in the ballpark on the compressor, Jon. I shopped around a little and found the going shop rate seems to be $450-$500 ($415 by mail from BMA). My guy is on the high side, but he's nearby and I trust his work. If something goes bad I know he'll stand behind the repair.

Here's the itemized estimate: Parts -- Compressor: $509; receiver/dryer, $108 (THAT and the labor to r/r surprised me); 2 lbs R134A, $36; oil/dye mix, $14; shop supplies, $35. Labor -- r/r compressor, 3 hrs, $219; r/r receiver/dryer, 2.5 hrs, $183; evac/recharge, 1.5 hrs, $110. Plus environmental fees and sales tax...

winfred
05-30-2006, 09:39 AM
7 hours is atleast twice it should take including vacuum time

Tiger
05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
$99 and 2 hours to go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/N-I-B-DENSO-A-C-COMPRESSOR-CLUTCH-471-0116-BMW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33543QQitemZ8068899 947QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is probably the wrong one... so close... Still, you can see that it doesn't have to cost you an arm and leg... I installed $100 brand new old stock compressor for my MB... and it works perfect!

Tiger
05-30-2006, 11:53 AM
$289 New compressor with new drier, expansion valve and all orings...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-BMW-A-C-COMPRESSOR-KIT-325-525-535-540-735-740_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33543QQitemZ8069961 283QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

joshua43214
05-30-2006, 12:16 PM
You don't need to evacuate to replace the Compressor clutch, it does take some special tool though.

Find a new shop, they are stealing from you.

Tiger
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Murphy's law still applies... if something went wrong with clutch... compressor is likely to have problem too unless you get it all rebuilt.

trumpetr
05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
My A/C is shot, as well. Im amazed reading this thread at the different prices quoted, tho, my problem is the condenser and drier. From what i am hearing,,the compressor is easy to get at,,,where as,,the condensor takes many more $$$ in labor to get to- (ive heard' 'gotta take the bumper and radiator off, yadda yadda..)
My Indy quotes a price for R134, at 40 bucks a pound ($55/lb for r12),,,and my 525 takes 3 1/2 pounds. Ive called several other local shops, re: refig. prices, and its the same story. Im curious if others have been quoted prices for r134? Ive seen 30 lb kegs of r134 on flea bay for $150. Hardly 40$ a pound, at that price.

Tiger
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
You can do it yourself... it is not all that hard. Condensor can be replaced easily as one member said... just take off your radiator to take the condenser out. Convert to R134a and buy what you need at Pep Boys... I think they are like $6 for 12 oz...

You can even buy a cheapo vacuum pump... it is venturi type air hose hooked thingy... that you need a compressor to make it work... they are like $15 at Harbor Freight. Unless you happen to live near a buddy like me who has a vacuum pump... I actually have both...

SchnellE34
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
You can do it yourself... it is not all that hard. Condensor can be replaced easily as one member said... just take off your radiator to take the condenser out. Convert to R134a and buy what you need at Pep Boys... I think they are like $6 for 12 oz...

You can even buy a cheapo vacuum pump... it is venturi type air hose hooked thingy... that you need a compressor to make it work... they are like $15 at Harbor Freight. Unless you happen to live near a buddy like me who has a vacuum pump... I actually have both...

Just looked at vacuum pumps... It looks like a cheap one is close to $100 for something I may not use more than once. $100 plus the R134 plus my noice experience = not a good idea. I believe I will pay a shop to vacuum and recharge my system correctly for less than $100. This is of course after I replace the faulty equipment, all o rings, drier and expansion valve - DIY.

BillionPa
05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
receiver/dryer is $50, and labor is about.... 45 mins to remove, 20 to replace if doing the compressor at the same time.

all the other prices seem ok to me.

the rest is for trumpetr.

you DO need to remove the bumper (that took me 5 mins by the way) to get to the condensor.

however getting that bastard out is a different situation.

i removed mine without removing the radiator, but I had to use a dremel to remove the aux fan and piping, so getting a new one in there is gonna be a problem.

R134 is cheap, R12 should be 4 times the price.

If I had R12, I would keep it in there since it does run nice and cold.

Kalevera
05-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Special tools aren't required to remove the compressor clutch -- TIS talks about a puller, but a generic one or a workaround can be used. It's not a big deal, and it shouldn't take more than an hour with the compressor still in the car. As others have said, the system doesn't need to be evacuated to change the clutch.

My R134 conversion cools to 46 degrees F at idle. This is on a car that sat for years with no charge, and very little pressure, in the system. There's no reason to keep an R12 system anymore. Even on E23/E24/E28/E32 cars with incompatible compressors.

Also, stay away from denso remanufactured compressors. Buy new. I've said this before and it deserves repeating: Denso doesn't sell parts. Hence most rebuilts are junk. When they remanufacture these things, they take apart a bunch of old compressors and put together "new" ones with generic seals and old parts that happen to meet what someone thinks is spec.

best, whit

Jon K
05-30-2006, 06:05 PM
To remove the condensor i just undid those top radiator clips and pushed it back some. Managed to get aux fan out and about 10 mins, getting the condensor out required two people as I needed someone to pull it ou and someone to hold it up so that the bottom would swing out - its not that bad though.

winfred
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
uhhh actually i can get a nippondenso reman'd by denso, they are a little pricy but very nice and worth every penny imho, they are about the only reman i don't bitch about installing, been bit in the ass by almost everything else
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/nip%20screen.jpg

Also, stay away from denso remanufactured compressors. Buy new. I've said this before and it deserves repeating: Denso doesn't sell parts. Hence most rebuilts are junk. When they remanufacture these things, they take apart a bunch of old compressors and put together "new" ones with generic seals and old parts that happen to meet what someone thinks is spec.

best, whit

Kalevera
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM
No question on the WP units -- I'm doubtful that they're actually remans. I think they're new parts being sold as remans, much like the dealer sells water pumps.

You guys must do a lot of business with WP -- your price on that compressor is about $40 less than mine.

best, whit

Maki
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the input everybody -- I think I'll make a couple more calls for estimates tomorrow, but to tell the truth I'm not too optimistic I'll find someone who's willing to tackle the job for a whole lot less. There are a few decent Teutonic wrenches in Milwaukee, but my favorite, Jenny Morgan's former employer, the Little Car Shop, doesn't do AC. The dealerships? Fuggedaboutit.

In this neighborhood there simply aren't a lot of mechanics I'd trust with one of my cars. That's why I hang out on forums like this one -- I'd rather do most of the work myself, and the advice I get here and elsewhere on the Web can be incredibly valuable. But sometimes there isn't enough time in a day to get it all done, and then ya pay for the convenience. I don't like the sound of $1300, believe me, but I don't hear anything in these parts that sounds a whole lot better.

The only shop even willing to talk about doing a clutch replacement vs. replacing the whole compressor, BTW, was my $1300 shop. The rest refused to even consider the job. So a clutch replacement would be strictly DIY.

Which I don't have time for right now. My dad has Alzhiemer's, and I'm running my ass off trying to help him stay in the home he loves. In years past I'd keep cars out of mechanics' clutches for years on end, but in the words of Tony Joe White, this is another place and another time.

I do appreciate the input. And I wish I could tackle this job myself. I know it's just a goddamn bearing. But shops don't want to take on jobs that don't generate a certain amount of profit. I can't blame 'em. Things are tough all over. If they pad some parts for labor and prices, it's a practice I'm seeing throughout the market in southeastern Wisconsin. If I were a better customer, maybe they could cut me a better deal.

Another issue is the quality of aftermarket parts. I've heard round condemnation of the E34 suspension parts offered on eBay. I'm afraid I'd be reluctant to buy a rebuilt compressor there. How reliable can the feedback be -- does it reflect component failure after 12 months? I'm just not sure. I'm not casting any aspersions here, just a little skeptical when someone offers a $400 component for $99.

I think I'll sign off here. Best wishes to all. Maybe I'll see some of you next month in Chicagoland.