PDA

View Full Version : m20 525ia - shift point question

Torque
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd appreciate it greatly if somone with a m20 automatic 525 could check what rpm the tranny goes from 1st to 2nd under wide open throttle.

reason i ask is because i find it weird that mine will shift 1-2 at 4500ish rpm and then 2-3 it will let it rev almost to redline.

thanks in advance.

emw525E34
05-30-2006, 04:33 AM
If you are the only person in the car, 1st to 2nd sounds about right. But try this with the car fully loaded with 4 other passengers. Then floor it. I bet it will shift at 6K or a bit later.
The ECU adaption has "learned" non-aggressive driving over time. If you wanted to make it shift at redline on 1st, then disconnect your battery, wait 15 mins for the caps to discharge, then reconnect battery. Then for a day, drive the car hard. Just floor the gas whenever you take off. Your ECU will adapt to aggressive driving style and shift at redline. You will burn more gas but it heck of a lot of fun....
The car feels very lively and ready to engage.

Torque
05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Wow, thanks for the reply. I wasn't even aware e34 had adaptable transmission control. I thought that was something that was implemented starting with e39.

Thanks again!

SC David
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Mine shifts even less aggressively than that. First will always try to shift by 4500, and second seems to be the same. My car has no sport mode either...so that makes it really quite slow. I can't wait to burn this tank of 89 RON so I can put in some premium fuel and get the BavAuto chip in.

Torque
05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Mine shifts even less aggressively than that. First will always try to shift by 4500, and second seems to be the same. My car has no sport mode either...so that makes it really quite slow. I can't wait to burn this tank of 89 RON so I can put in some premium fuel and get the BavAuto chip in.Are you sure you're going WOT all the way / pushing down on the kickdown switch?