PDA

View Full Version : warm start difficulties

525tds95
05-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Hello all,
sorry in advance for my awful English about technical car-related terms (btw any pointers for translations from italian to english and viceversa?).
Hello,
I have a 525 tds; it is dated 1995 and it has about 190.000 kms.
I bought it two years ago when it was 150.000.
In the late weeks, when starting in the morning or with cold engine, I have no problem at all. But it shows difficulty when starting with warm engine, for example if I stop half an hour, the I start again and the car doesn't need to use pre-heating phase (without "candelette" in Italian...): it takes 6-8 seconds to start.
Someone told me that it can be a signal of end-of-live ot the engine...
Recently I took the car to a BMW center to make some oatc conventioned works such as inspection and brakes, and I also told this, but they diagnosed nothing....
The only thing they told me, was to wait some seconds also with warm engine, before turning completely the key and start, but it doesn't change anything....
Any hint on how to proceed? Do I have to begin saying prayers???
Thanks in advance.

Gian

joshua43214
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Your engrish is just fine =)

I am not familiar with BMW deisals, but I worked in a mercedes shop and serviced alot of their deisals, the basics are the same, but I know BMW does some stuff differently.

Long start times can be a sign of low compression on a hot engine when the preheater is not activated. Does it start fine in cold weather? normaly it would have trouble starting with low compression in cold weather even with the preheater.

Could also possibly be injector timing or other injector issues. Take it to someone who knows BMW deisals and have them check only that. Many techs hate this sort of work and if you give them something else to do, they will do that instead.

Good luck

Jon K
05-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Glow plugs not coming up?

525tds95
05-29-2006, 11:31 PM
> Long start times can be a sign of low compression on a hot engine when the preheater
> is not activated.
Others told me this too... but what does it mean actually? Is it easy solvable?

> Does it start fine in cold weather? normaly it would have trouble starting with low
> compression in cold weather even with the preheater.
Yes it does. All began this winter when I left the car stopped for one week at the open air; then it didn't restart (the mechanic had to use a special gas, to favor compression and it started). I had to subsitute the glow plugs (candelette are these?), but I began to have difficulties starting both at cold and with heated engine.
Then I had to change diesel oil pump, that should be also the cause of this, but it wasn't

Jon, what do you mean when you say "Glow plugs not coming up"? The problem now arises only with heated engine, when glow plugs light doesn't have to come in, but the car doesn't start immediately...

Thanks for your suggestions.